Corsair Community

heat spreaders on Corsair Vengeance

Axl_0

yup, upon removal you will void any warranty and very likely destroy the ram itself since the spreaders are glued right to the chips. they pull right off the card when force is applied. (the IC chips)

any attempt to remove the spreaders will most likely be the least smart thing you have done in life so far.

but... its your money.

I want to remove them so that they would fit under my Noctua DH-14 CPU heatsink. The only options are to either remove the RAM heat spreader or to bend the stuff at the top so that they don't touch the heatsink.

The Noctua arrives next week, but from pictures online it looks like the heat sink part alone will hover over the first two slots and of course with the rear fan it will hover over everything. If the heatsink part hovers only over the first slot I will test everything out and make sure the RAM works at it's rated settings for an extended period of time before bending the fins at top and installing the rear fan.

Just keep in mind that if you bend those spreaders you will void the warranty on the ram instantly. Not to mention takinga chance on destroying the module in the process.

Finding a different cooler or different RAM that fits under the cooler might be something to consider.

I want to remove them so that they would fit under my Noctua DH-14 CPU heatsink. The only options are to either remove the RAM heat spreader or to bend the stuff at the top so that they don't touch the heatsink.

I've been considering doing that myself because the height and to some degree the width of the Vengeance heat spreaders are stopping me from using a number of CPU coolers.

There are videos on U-Tube and guides out there on how to remove memory heat spreaders and I've done it myself years ago, I just don't want to void the warranty on a new memory kit..yet :D:

Looking at the memory it seems not all the chips are attached to the tape anyway so removing them might not be to difficult.

There are a few local modders where I live that have been considering the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...
Where can I find all the memory settings for the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9? The BIOS displays SPD settings, but there are a LOT of different memory settings in my BIOS and many of the fields are just left blank for the SPD value.

Where can I find all the memory settings for the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9? The BIOS displays SPD settings, but there are a LOT of different memory settings in my BIOS and many of the fields are just left blank for the SPD value.
They're on the label of the memory.

I would try the Noctua NH-C14 that will not be a problem.

Only in single fan high clearance mode, if I understand correctly. Turning the 2xfans configuration 180 degrees would still obstruct first RAM slot. And Noctua package includes 2 fans for "maximum performance"...

Finding CPU cooler that fits 4x4GB Vengeance on LGA 1155 MB "comfortably" and isn't the like of Corsair Hydro series can quickly become dragged out and disheartening for beginners. If one wants less moving parts (air cooler) or doesn't really like limited radiator mounting options (length of tubes) then there just don't seem to be many options.

A relatively narrow 51mm wide tower cooler with 25mm wide fan - it fits just barely and the fan touches RAM heat spreader. Anything over 51mm is a no unless the block and fan sit higher up.

Prolimatech Genesis - another "over the memory slots" design - would be better but still a close fit (here with Dominators installed on LGA 1366 MB).

run CPU-Z to see what 5 timings need to be set as per the ram's SPD settings, the rest can be left on auto.

look at the timings table in the pic, those are the ones to set manually if the SPD or XMP will not set them automatically

attachment.php?attachmentid=8241&d=1301058011

• 4 weeks later...

Archived