Corsair Community

Vengeance LPX 3200 XMP Fails to POST?

CitricBase

I am running a 2x16 kit of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 speed RAM. When I load the XMP, my system fails to POST. When I load the XMP then reduce the speed from 3200 to 3000, my system runs perfectly stable.

All other UEFI settings are default. My UEFI BIOS is the latest version (2.00, December 19th). I feel like I must be missing something obvious or fundamental. Help!

My build:

• Ryzen 2700X
  • ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2L3200C16
  • Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64
  • Corsair HX1200i

I'd thought these were top-of-the-line parts in every category, so I'm scratching my head as to why my RAM isn't running correctly. Do I need to overclock my CPU or something to make it work?

Thank you for your time,

~CitricBase

No, overclocking your cpu if not done with stability might even make your "ram overclock" worse. the icm is on the cpu, so you know what might happen is the oc is not stable.

Make sure your bios is up to date.

Is your cpu stable? Cause if is not that's your 1st concern.

I would clear bois and then set xmp 3200, bump the ram voltage and vddcr_soc to see if it helps, around vram 1.475V and soc 1.175V to try.

If fails, I'd try dram calculator.

I know this pain of taichi vs ram, I've been struggling to get 3200 on my vengeance led for a long time.. Same behaviour than yours.. not stable at 3200 but runs smooth at 3133.. some voltage.. plim plim..

No, overclocking your cpu if not done with stability might even make your "ram overclock" worse. the icm is on the cpu, so you know what might happen is the oc is not stable.

Make sure your bios is up to date.

Is your cpu stable? Cause if is not that's your 1st concern.

I would clear bois and then set xmp 3200, bump the ram voltage and vddcr_soc to see if it helps, around vram 1.475V and soc 1.175V to try.

If fails, I'd try dram calculator.

I know this pain of taichi vs ram, I've been struggling to get 3200 on my vengeance led for a long time.. Same behaviour than yours.. not stable at 3200 but runs smooth at 3133.. some voltage.. plim plim..

Hi Thomas, thank you for your reply! No, I haven't messed with my CPU clocks; like I said, my settings are default. Also like I said, my BIOS is up-to-date. Yes, my CPU is stable, it's running on default clocks.

I'm not the most experienced with RAM clocking, but isn't 1.475V unreasonably high? I tried boosting the voltages a bit to 1.400, but my conscious is telling me to wait for advice from Corsair before I inadvertently fry my components. Besides, this XMP is certified to work at 1.35, so I'm skeptical that voltage is the problem. I was thinking that I'd need to change one of the dozens of default memory settings that aren't included in the XMP.

Thanks for recommending DRAM calculator. I tried it, but its super-duper optimistic recommendations are of course not working. It's suggesting timings around 14 instead of the certified 18, along with a bunch of other tighter settings. I followed the flowchart that comes with it for a bit, but I didn't get anywhere. Here are the settings I'm working from, along with my Taiphoon Burner readout.

Thank you again for your reply, it's interesting to learn that someone else with the same CPU/mobo/RAM brands is suffering from the same issue.

Use the 2nd XMP profile. Yes there are two profiles. I had the same problem you had but with an ASUS mobo. Profile #2 fixed it for me and it runs at 3200ghz.

Thank you for your suggestion! Unfortunately, this RAM kit only has the one profile on board. I can see in the UEFI where the second profile is supposed to show up, but it's blank. KSJ, can you share with us what settings are changed between the two profiles you have? Those might be the exact settings that Thomas and I need to adjust!

I have an ASRock x470 board also and came across some information in my own quest to configure memory that might be helpful. In the newer UEFI/BIOS's that were released there were 2 settings for setting memory profiles: one for XMP "Load XMP Setting" and another "Load DRAM Profile". I read somewhere you are supposed to set one or the other but not both. I noticed in my UEFI "Load DRAM Profile" actually had a specific profile for a Corsair 32GB model. I'm not exactly sure it applies for the Taichi but it might be worth a look since it is also an ASRock x470 board perhaps similar enough in UEFI options this might be what you need.

Using HWiNFO64 it was able to pull multiple XMP profiles information from my RAM. Perhaps you may be able to get more information related to the 2nd profile ksj557 was talking about and simply setup the primary timings manually. I read that XMP settings were for Intel memory controllers and it's possible that configuration might not be exactly compatible with AMD memory controllers.

I don't see your memory model listed in the ASRock QVL. Have you tried setting the memory profiles simply to Auto, reboot, then up the DRAM frequency to 3200 without setting the XMP profile? Although I was overclocking in my case this worked for me initially (my model is also not on the QVL list either).

Later I used that DRAM calculator to refine the secondary timings. I got stable with two sticks of ram at 3200Mhz overclock w/ 16GB (2 of 4 slots in A2+B2) @1.35v (16-18-18-36-54-1T) which timing happens to match your screen shot of XMP timings. I have a SK Hynix chips not Samsung B-die so apples vs. oranges I guess but if you loosen the primary timings a bit it might work.

Hope this helps.

I have an ASRock x470 board also and came across some information in my own quest to configure memory that might be helpful. In the newer UEFI/BIOS's that were released there were 2 settings for setting memory profiles: one for XMP "Load XMP Setting" and another "Load DRAM Profile". I read somewhere you are supposed to set one or the other but not both. I noticed in my UEFI "Load DRAM Profile" actually had a specific profile for a Corsair 32GB model. I'm not exactly sure it applies for the Taichi but it might be worth a look since it is also an ASRock x470 board perhaps similar enough in UEFI options this might be what you need.

Thank you so much, Computer Guy! This is exactly the type of forehead-slappingly easy solution I was hoping it would be. That was it! My PC is now running like a dream at 3200Mhz as advertised, and now I can start thinking about actually overclocking something. Woohoo!

For anyone visiting this thread in the future, this was the issue: enable XMP, but do not set the DRAM option to "Corsair," set it to auto instead.

Archived