Corsair Community

Issue with H115i or just need new paste?

Exxlir

Hi recently made a new computer rig last year and was reading online as my 7700k temps are rising to unjustifiable ranges that it could be a few possibilities.

I recently removed my GPU from the computer and running integrated graphics at the moment which i do realize would raise the temps up a good bit if running any sort of games.

I then figured out it wasn't just the gaming side of things it was even something as simple as streaming from Netflix my temps were ranging to 80 Celsius.

I have checked the voltages going to the CPU to make sure they weren't running too high and 4.5ghz boost active is using 1.25v which i would understand to be a pretty good normal voltage.

I have the Corsair h115i extreme CPU cooler running on balance mode when gaming which would normally keep the temperatures between 50 - 70 Celsius depending on how demanding the game is.

Idle is usually sitting around 35 - 40 Celsius but recently i have noticed that the temps jump around a lot when idle like right now its going from 35 to 37 to 40 to 49 then 53 then back down for no reason as i'm only

on this web page, i do have the corsair link mode set to quiet instead of balance but it usually would keep the CPU cool enough when idle.

The last thing i reckon that may be the issue is the thermal compound needs renewed on the coolers water block as it is the original stock compound applied by Corsair when i built the rig and i read online that the compound usually would need replaced after a year.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be massively appreciated.

Computer build:

BenQ GL2706PQ 1440p Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G502 RGB Proteus Spectrum Mouse

Razer Mouse Mat

Corsair Carbide Air 740 Case

EVGA 750w P2 PSU

Gigabyte Intel AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB Kit DDR4 3466MHz RAM

Intel Core I7 7700K S1151 4.2Ghz CPU

Corsair Hydro H115i CPU Cooler

250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe

Seagate 1TB 7200 HDD

TP-Link AC1300 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

Questions :

1) What are the coolant temperature through all of this?

2) Are all the cores the same or is one core significantly warmer than the rest?

That said, redoing the paste and validation the installation (making sure that the standoffs are tight, etc) would absolutely be a troubleshooting step to take. You'll need to make sure that you clean off the old paste with 90% isopropyl alcohol.

I used to run a 7700k with a H115i (4 x ML-140 fans in a push/pull configuration) and saw similar temperatures to what you report. I had to RMA that CLC due to a pump failure and installed a NZXT Kraken X62 for the interim... same problem. The cores on the 7700k were jumping all over the place both in terms of temperature and load. For both coolers, the cold plate was tight (had to use washers on the X62's back plate) and using the TIM that came factory applied.

Regarding the thermal paste: When I built my new rig (with a 8700k) last week, I migrated the 7700k & motherboard into my son's case who uses a H80i v2 with 2 x ML120 fans set up in push/pull. I cleaned off the old TIM and applied Noctua's NT-H1 and the temperatures were dramatically lower (around 10⁰C).

Intel's 7700k is a hot processor and it seems that it benefits from using a premium TIM over the pre-applied factory offering by either Corsair or NZXT.

Archived