Corsair Community

H105 CPU Cooler High Temp/Loud Noise Issues

PerfectHiT

Hey, and Sorry about my bad English ..

So here is the deal, ::pirate::

Couple of days ago i Bought a H105 Corsair CPU cooler ..

Installed it .. but i'm not sure if its working correctly or not ..

My PC spec ..

- Asus Rampage III Extreme MB .

- Corsair 12GB memory .

- Asus GTX780 3GB OC DCUII GPU .

- i7 960 3.2GHz CPU .

- 250GB SATAII Samsung SSD .

- 2TB SATAIII Western Digital CaviarBlack HDD .

- Enermax Revolution 1250w PSU .

- EnermaxSpinRex Chase .

- Corsair H105 CPU Cooler .

High Idle Temp

Alright ... before buying the Corsair My Idle CPU temp in these hot days was about 60c and between 70 - 80 in games, i wasn't so happy with that so i decided to pick a Water Cooler, and after so many reviews i found out that the H105 is Quiet with High Performance so i order it .

After Installing the CPU cooler i was expecting some changes .. i installed a fresh windows and wanted to get some reads and i was shocked when i saw that my Idle CPU temp with H105 is about 50c . i mean that's not fair all the reviews on even bigger CPU's than mine saying 35 - 38 Idle temp, i have 4 friends who has Water Cooling on there CPUs and they never get above 35c Idle and 3 of them OCed their CPUs .

I took this Picture Right after i installed the Drivers while the PC is idle

http://i.imgur.com/Y5JCvaQ.jpg

Now the weird Part .. i tried to Play MaxPayne3 and BattleField3 and the temp didnt get above 60c .. i took this picture while playing MaxPayne3

http://i.imgur.com/1Uj21gH.png

So long story short .. the CPU temp is high on Idle but it never get above 60 when there is a load on it .. i never seen this before and i was hoping if you guys can help me out to find out whats the problem here .

Corsair Fans Are Really Loud

So .. if i'm not mistaken each fan RPM is about 2500 or so, this is insanely high and loud and i was wondering if we can do something about that, ive been reading around and i saw some people suggesting some fixes for that but i realty don't want to do something stupid and make things worse so i thought i ask you guys about whats the best thing to do .

Some people suggested to replace the Current Fans that came with the H105 with Silent fans . if thats so can u guys find me a good one from this link ?

Others pointed at installing some sort of a software and change the fans RPM to 1500 but i dont think this is a wise thing to do, what do u think ?

IF YOU MUST KNOW ..

My case is really badly designed and i had a hard time to get the cooler's Radiator's installed on the top of the case .. give this pic a look ..

http://i.imgur.com/Thy9F0z.jpg

The Corsair is upside down .. when i tried to install it the other way the black tubes got really Tight and like this they are more comfortable is that an issue ?

Also i don't have Fans on the bottom of the Radiator because there is no way to make 120mm fan to fit there ... if you look closely you will find no space between the MB,Rams, and PU cooler bump and the Radiator, so i installed the fans on the top of the case and right now they are taking air out of the case .

i was thinking thats might be the problem .. so i brought a big fan and hold it under the radiator for like 10 minutes and nothing changed so its not about the fans if i'm not mistaken, in general the radiator, the bump even the tubes are not getting hot, my chase Air Flow is fine .. i'm not sure what sure what else i should do .

Waiting your suggestion guys ..

Have A great Day .

Hi, I'll try to help, I don't own an H105

1) Those temperatures are very high when idling. Don't try games to test the load. Download Prime95, use small FFT. If your temperatures spike to 90.º or above, then the most likely answer is that the cooler is not properly seated on the CPU. Check if the backplate isn't loose, it shouldn't move at all. Report back.

2) Do you have the fans connected to PWM fan headers? (4-pin headers on the motherboard). You should be able to control them either through your motherboard bios (duty cycles) or software to lower the RPM, it's totally fine and it's actually the purpose of having PWM fans. You can set up the RPM to your liking, for example the minimum possible when idling/browsing the web and an acceptable RPM/Noise ratio like maybe 1400RPM when your temperatures go over 50º.

are your fans above the rad? it does not matter too much if they are above or below

picture is a bit dark.

make sure there is no noticeable play in the cooler (cooler to cpu)

also feel the hoses once your system warms up for 10 -15 minutes.

both hoses should be more or less the same temp.

feel close to the pump and also close to the rad.

Hi, I'll try to help, I don't own an H105

thank you a lot i really appreciate it

1) Those temperatures are very high when idling. Don't try games to test the load. Download Prime95, use small FFT. If your temperatures spike to 90.º or above, then the most likely answer is that the cooler is not properly seated on the CPU. Check if the backplate isn't loose, it shouldn't move at all. Report back.

to make sure that everything is working correctly, i did re-install the Cooler on the CPU and i managed to install it without being up side down, i checked the thermal past and it was alittle bit messy but now its alright .. everything is sitting in the right place nothing loose i checked so many times .

I Downloaded prime95 and did the small FFT test you asked me to ... and this is the result

Before Running Prime : http://i.imgur.com/306MXuS.jpg

WHile Prime Running : http://i.imgur.com/uYYqpKj.jpg

2) Do you have the fans connected to PWM fan headers? (4-pin headers on the motherboard). You should be able to control them either through your motherboard bios (duty cycles) or software to lower the RPM, it's totally fine and it's actually the purpose of having PWM fans. You can set up the RPM to your liking, for example the minimum possible when idling/browsing the web and an acceptable RPM/Noise ratio like maybe 1400RPM when your temperatures go over 50º.

yes they are and i'm not a big fan of playing around with Bios settings ( i attempt to screw things out ) so the software wont be a bad idea do u recommending one ( free or not ) i'm fine with that .

Alright Mr Sandstorm1

are your fans above the rad? it does not matter too much if they are above or below

yes they are FYI the rad is really cool ( not hot at all ) is that how is it suppose to be ?

picture is a bit dark.

hope this one is better : https://i.imgur.com/pwp2BS6.jpg

make sure there is no noticeable play in the cooler (cooler to cpu)

to make sure that everything is working correctly, i did re-install the Cooler on the CPU and i managed to install it without being up side down, i checked the thermal past and it was a little bit messy but now its alright .. everything is sitting in the right place nothing loose i checked so many times .

also feel the hoses once your system warms up for 10 -15 minutes.

both hoses should be more or less the same temp.

they are a little bit warm like some juice from out the fridge its hard to describe it but in general they are not hot at all .

feel close to the pump and also close to the rad.

the ends of the hoses near the radiator are cool .. from the CPU side they are a little warm .

thank you guys for trying to help ..

sorry for the late answers .. i almost gave up checking the post :(

Temps look fine under load. You won't ever get those temps running anything but Prime95. I don't know if your socket requires the backplate, but I forgot to mention that the backplate should not be loose at all after mounting the cooler. If it's like the backplate on the H100i, it looks like it can be mounted in any orientation but in fact it has a specific position, the two small hedges have to be aligned with the two screws on the cpu socket.

I believe your motherboard supports the AI Suite II software. It works great for controlling fans. It has a lot of settings for overclocking and power saving, but just ignore those and use the Fan Expert module.

Temps look fine under load. You won't ever get those temps running anything but Prime95. I don't know if your socket requires the backplate, but I forgot to mention that the backplate should not be loose at all after mounting the cooler. If it's like the backplate on the H100i, it looks like it can be mounted in any orientation but in fact it has a specific position, the two small hedges have to be aligned with the two screws on the cpu socket.

I believe your motherboard supports the AI Suite II software. It works great for controlling fans. It has a lot of settings for overclocking and power saving, but just ignore those and use the Fan Expert module.

the plastic backplate after installing it is loose and moving around but one u put the cooler and the screws its all good .

AI Suite II isn't compatible with my MB for some reason ..

thanks man .. i appreciate the help

Try SpeedFan. It might be a bit confusing at first, but look for some youtube tutorials and you'll figure it out.

Having the fans running on 100% all the time would drive me insane :D:

i will thank you ..

:D the fans noise is like the ocean, i just don't hear them anymore .

I swapped the SP120Ls that the H105 came with for Corsair SP120 HP QE PWM fans, much quieter than the supplied ones but I am guessing they push less air.

My overclocked 2600k sits around 38-39c idle and goes up to around 58c when using the Intel stress test tool.

The fans are running off a Corsair Link Mini Commander with a custom profile but H105 fans never spin up past 1,000rpm. But as long as the fans are on a 4 pin motherboard socket you can control them via SpeedFan.

Out of interest what is the ambient room temperature and internal case temperature?

Archived