Corsair Community

H100i v2 dies, kills CPU, while I’m out shopping for Corsair gear.

axiun

So I decided today to upgrade from x99 to x299. I also wanted to pick up a triple pack of the new LL120 fans and upgrade my commander mini from years ago to the commander pro. Side note, upset with commander pro, why did they remove the com port? Now I have to pick up a com port to usb dongle to get readings from the ax1200i.

Anyway, before I head out I leave the pc on to back up before I switch motherboards. I come back home with my new gear and the pc is off. I found that to be a bit surprising and tried to fire it up. It won’t post, error code 00, which on this board is no cpu detected. I don’t really want to troubleshoot as there’s new gear waiting. So I tear down the rig and rebuild it. Fire it up and I’m instantly greeted by the CPU over temperature warning. UEFI doesn’t read the pump. I tried a few different headers and it’s the same result, so the conclusion is that the pump is dead on this few month old unit.

Here’s the big bummer. The CPU was pretty special. It was a binned and delided 6850k from siliconlottery. Binned for 4.6 which is rare for these chips and even more rare is the fact that it was delided. I’m not aware of any other 6850k out in the wild that was delided.

Not really sure how to proceed. I’m probably going to pick up an h150i, because I want to get the new rig up ASAP. Going to open a ticket to get the h100i replaced, but do you think Corsair will do anything about the dead chip?

Just above your post there's a link for "Support Ticket System", click on that, you will have to sign up there too as your log in from here won't work, Then start a ticket for the cooler and add the information that you have posted here, alomg with the receipts for the cooler and the cpu. Corsair are usually sympathetic in these cases, although each case is looked at on it's own merits. Good Luck.

I would also start a support ticket with the motherboard manufacturer. That may be frustrating, but when a CPU reached TJ Max, it shuts down. Silicon does not melt at that temperature and briefly hitting the thermal limits should not be fatal to a CPU. Current is your typical CPU killer. Since the H100i v2 is powered directly from a fan header, it might also be damaged in a board level power issue. Nothing is conclusive from what we have, but I would exercise caution with that old motherboard. Asus X99? Strix?

Yep yep, going to open a ticket.

Board is indeed an Asus x99, Rampage v e10. It is weird that the chip died, instead of going into thermal shutdown. The main culprit is the h100i dying, followed by failsafes on the board not kicking in.

I just found it funny that a Corsair component failed as I was out purchasing more Corsair equipment.

Archived