Corsair Community

AMD Memory Question

DPetrlak

Ok, New Designations:biggrin: vs Old:sigh!:. So.....

So I try to run the Memory configurator and my Motherboard isn't listed. So I grabbed one that seemed close. 2 recommendations are.....

CMD4GX3M2A1600C9 and TW3X4G1600C9D which are both described as "DDR3-1600-Dominator-12800C9*4GB" kits. So is the difference JUST the designation.

It tells me that an One of the Options is "CMX8GX3M4B1333C9." If I understand the New Designations that is 4ea - 2G Sticks of DDR3 - 1333Mhz.

So other than speed why 2 boxes of the "CMX4GX3M2A1600C9" really not the same thing?

Then somewhere I've got to figure why the DDR3 for the iCores doesn't work with the AMD's?

Thanks

Mobo as Listed in my Profile.

Recently built the system and apparently not all DDR3 Memory is the same. The Memory I have purchased is 2 Kits of "CMX4GX3M2A1600C9." Now the Mobo Box listed Memory speed as "1866 O.C." (before the fine print.)

I originally built the system with 1 Kit (2x2GB) of the above memory. The base system is 1333, I had not problems adjusting the Memory Clock from Auto (x6.66) to Manual and x8.00 which yielded 1600.

With only 1 Kit installed I didn't experience any issues, at least not any which I thought pertained to memory.

Upon the acquisition of a 2nd Kid (same part no) I was only unable to get the system to boot with ALL 4 sticks installed. The system beeped and wouldn't Post.

Initially believing there was a MOBO problem, I tried the Memory in various slots. The most I was able to get the system to recognize was 6Gb in Apparently Slot 1 + Any 2 Other Slots. The BIOS reads the memory in any of the 3 slots.

Possibly Ruling out the Mobo, I inquired with gigabyte. They suggested I check the memory Voltage and Adjust to Memory Standard. Default is 1.5v, so Using the "Intelligent Tweaker" I've Adjusted Voltage to 1.65v.

Basically, I've swapped Memory from stick to stick and slot to slot. As long there is a Stick in Slot "DDR3_1" and any other the system recognize 3 sticks.

I still Can't get the system to Post with Memory in all 4 slots. I've seen suggestions that the chosen memory is optimized for the iCores, but it does'nt seem logical that that could be a specific problem.

I'd appreciate Any help or ideas. thx

OK, I've got a Question.

So, 1 stick at a time, in slot 4. Which will validate the Memory.

FYI, I didn't have a chance to do the test last night, but CPUID does report each stick, and the Latency, voltage etc all look like the specs for each of the currently 3 installed sticks.

Is that just a boot up test, followed by perhaps a check with CPUID?

Or some other method of testing the RAM?

And thanks.

Memtest86+ just do a search for it,You can even find it on this site.testing them the slot way is just 1 step in checking to see wats going on,to make sure there not dead,memtest IS a stress test.

Ok, I could not get the System to post with a stick in Slot 4.

So I tested the memory in slot 2 & 3. Single Stick Tests indicate no errors.

However, before I did the single stick test, I let Memtest run with the previous configuration (2g in slots - 1, 2, & 3) Mostly to see what it looked like.

I was beginning to get errors (test 7 & 8) when I aborted and began the single stick tests.

I did notice one item that concerned me, and that was the timings report from memtest. It showed 11-11-11-30 (or something) After testing 2 sticks I went into bios and turned that AUTO to OFF and set the timings to 9-9-9-24 which is what's specified for the Memory.

I plan on doing 1 more Full test with a stick in slot 4 and 2 others (Probably will try 2, 3 & 4) just to see what happens.

I partially believe there must be a mobo problem since I can't get the system to post in slot 4 (even after a gigabyte bios update), but I'm concerned with the errors that were reported with the 3 sticks in that pre-test.

Am I heading in the right direction?

Thanks

Archived