Corsair Community

So I Can't put 12 GB's of RAM into the P6T-SE??

Sparkky

I bought 12 GB's of RAM for my new rig. I know, I should have bought them at the same place but I don't think it would have helped my situation much, unless I knew what I was doing!

I bought 3x2GB sticks of TR3X6G1600C8g and 3x2 GB sticks of TR3X6G1600C9r

Can I or can I not put them all into my P6T-SE?

Also when my PC POSTS the ram says it is running at 1066 MHz but the ram itself is 1600 MHz, is it safe to turn this upto 1600 in the BIOS? Wouldn't it have deteced the Ram speed automatically? All I know is I installed my 5870 and then turned up the speed on the ram to 1600, shortly after I noticed dots all over my screen. I brought rig into place I bought my card and they swapped vid card with a new one and the dots were gone. but when I brought my rig home the ram was set to 1066 again. I know the tech went into my bios but i didn't see what he changed. should I bother setting my ram speed back to 1600? Could doing that fry my video card? I really appreciate your help! Thank you very much!

Spark

You could put 12GB (6 x 2GB) modules on that P6T-SE. However, since you bought two different 6GB kits (which are likely to use two completely different kinds of ICs), there is no guarantee that the two kits would even work together reliably or at all in the same system.

In addition, your processor's memory controller may be limiting your maximum stable memory speed. The i7-9xx memory controller officially supports only up to DDR3-1066 memory speed. And getting four ranks of memory per channel to run at the full 1600 speed is iffy (or not guaranteed) because all of Corsair's current 2GB and larger modules are double-ranked. That's because the manufacturers of 1600-speed DDR3 modules test them with only two ranks (one double-ranked module) per memory controller channel. In the worst cases, in order to comply with the official JEDEC standards for the memory type you might have to lower the memory speed to 1333 or 1066 if you're going to use all six modules in that same system. (In fact, the official JEDEC standard for DDR3-1600 memory allows only two ranks per channel at that speed - and one 2GB or larger module of that speed per channel would have already maxed out the maximum number of ranks.)

What abou the different types of ram? They're both corsair and the only diference on the model number is the last two digits! Would that mean they are incompatible?

Again, compatibility between the two is iffy. In fact, there is no guarantee that two kits of even the exact same model number will work together in the same system.

Hen what is the point of having 6 ram slots with 3 channels if I can't even fill them up? I bought this particular board with the pretense that it could support up to 24 gb's of ddr3 ram! Can I try this ram without worrying if I am going to fry a component in my new rig?I can't afford any more spare parts!

Hen what is the point of having 6 ram slots with 3 channels if I can't even fill them up? I bought this particular board with the pretense that it could support up to 24 gb's of ddr3 ram! Can I try this ram without worrying if I am going to fry a component in my new rig?I can't afford any more spare parts!

The board will run 6 modules. However, there is no guarantee that it can run 6 modules AND run them at 1600. This is beyond the spec of the memory controller on the CPU so it may or may not work.

Simply trying the memory is not going to damage anything as long as you do not input excessive voltages in your BIOS settings. To avoid issues such as this, we sell matched kits of 6 modules.

Archived