Corsair Community

Could this psu be the problem of my crashes?

Tyler_Rose

Specs:

(PcPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fWMH4C)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo 43.1 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Gpu: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC Video Card

Psu: Corsair VS 650W 80 Plus

Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case

Monitor: Dell S2415H 23.8" 60Hz Monitor

Running windows 10 EDUCATION 64-bit

My pc keeps crashing when i launch dota 2 and i try to play it. Not instantly, it takes around 5-15 mins. Then i ran heaven benchmark to see if everything is ok. It was not, it crashed every single time. I started doing tests for the parts on my setup individually.

FurMark: I put everything on max, 6k resolution, x 8 anti aliasing for 15 minutes. My gpu didn't crash, i had around 13 fps and 80C degrees (176F) . No matter how many times i ran this, it never crashed

Prime95: My cpu also never crashed and it was using all 4 cores for 10 minutes at its 100%.

I also ran memtest and it was completed with no problems.

Yesterday i disabled the turbo of my cpu and i was able to complete heaven benchmark and play a game against bots with vsync locked at 60fps. Today i was trying to find a solution so i turned turbo on once again. I updated bios as well. Crashed every single time on Heaven Benchmark and Dota 2. I turned turbo off again but this time it also crashed!!

The crashes that i am getting are some plain grey and some plain blue screens. The type of error is kernel power type 41. I found that on system log

Does anyone here know whats the issue? Is it a software issue? A hardware issue? Could windows 10 be the problem? Maybe the psu? Please guys if there is anyone that knows about this, i am searching non stop on every site the last 2 days and i cant find anything :(

Hi

I would believe if it would be the PSU. And I doubt a software or OS has anything to do with it.

Myself, had to replace "old" (just 3 years!) CX750M due to coil whine (coming from PSU, CPU and GPU). Brand new PSU (platinum rated though) solved the issue..

Hello Tyler_Rose,

I have a very similar system to your configuration. But i am having similar problems as well. I am also trying to figure out if it is my Video card or now my power supply. I have a Corsair 650i power supply and a Radeon R9 380X.

I am playing Supreme Commander RTS game and my computer will randomly hard crash to a black screen with a tone playing in the background. I get the same Kernal power type 41 error in the window system event logs as well.

One thing I did notice between running the benchmark and playing the game is my GPU fan speed. Playing the game you cannot hear the fans at all but they are spinning, running the benchmark they are very audible. I am have not completely ruled out the GPU yet either, still trying to work it out between the two items.

I did find this on AMD's website if you have not tried yet on your computer:

You need to perform a complete uninstall of your Video Card Drivers (in the device manager, the MS generic Video driver should appear)

1. Then restart your System in safe mode with network support and download the DDU (Display Driver Uninstall Utility)

2. Remove the remains of the Video Driver with this tool.

3. uninstall all GPU tools, such as MSI Afterburner.

4. Power down your PC (no, do NOT restart... SHUT IT DOWN)

5. restart again in safe mode and install the Crimson Software.

Also if you can keep an eye out on your RPM of your power supplies fan as well. Sometimes they might not be spinning up as temperature rises. I know mine never game up even when gaming on my RM650i.

I hope this helps.

UPDATE: I figured out my problem. I have a Corsair RM650i power supply. I used just one of the PCIe cables with pigtail connectors to feed power to the R9 380X card. I plugged in the seperate PCIe cable without using the Pig tail connection and have not had a problem.

Archived