Corsair Community

Weird issue with fan #6 on iCue via Commander Pro

Destregan

Hi all,

I seem to be having a strange issue with iCue with a commander pro.

I have a Lian Li O11 Dynamic Case and I have setup 3 fans on the top of the case (outgoing) and 3 fans in the bottom (incoming).

The top 3 fans are corsair LL120 and the bottom 3 are from a 3rd Party, all fans are PWM. Both fans are (officially) rated at 800- 1500 rpm and all are controlled via the Commander Pro. Connection 1 to 3 are for the 3rd party fans and connection 4 to 6 are for the Corsair fans. As the fans are basically just for airflow in the case they can be set to quiet mode for general purposes.

However when I put the fans to Quiet fans 1-5 are generally somewhere in the 650~700 area of RPM which is fine. However fan 6 (Corsair fan) is going all crazy and tends to go full speed to 1400~1500 rpm. I first though that that there was an issue with the fan itself or with the PWM communication, but when I create a custom profile the fan runs at 650~700 RPM as well.

Is there some hidden feature which causes this fan to increase it's RPM I am missing? Or is there something else I can do to fix this?

The fan is above a radiator (intake) in a push- pull config, so it is "receiving" some warm air below but I do not think there is a temperature sensor in the fan so it should not matter.

Screenshot 10% profile (although it will keep its minimum speed of around 650~700 rpm):

syo118Y.png

Screenshot quiet profile:

dqd4qdx.png

Thanks in advance.

All of the presets on the Commander Pro (Quiet/Balanced/Extreme) are preset curves using CPU temp as the control point. As you've guessed, there is no microphone or internal temperature device and its nothing more than a set of data points made by someone else and not specifically for your set up. Don't use them. It looks like you have already created your own curves and if the fan behavior is as expected for those, then things are normal. The Quiet profile has had some weird quirks going on 6 months now and they don't seem to ever quite go away. This is not uncommon, but only when using the preset. If your custom curves do this, then that needs to be looked at.

You could try changing the fan type setting from Auto to 4 Pin (PWM) for the 3 Corsair fans (4 pin for LL). The controlled typically does not have issues recognizing Corsair PWM fans, but it also presumably must do a fan type check at power on and that is one possible place things could go wrong. This is under the Settings Tab -> Commander Pro.

Unrelated to the above, you appear to have a Commander Pro + Lighting Node Pro (LNP). That 4 channels of RGB, but I am only seeing the LL x 3 on the C-Pro. What's connected to the Lighting Node Pro? It appears you may not need it for this configuration.

Hi

Alle fans are set manually to pwm / 4 pin.

Custom profiles are not really a problem to set up but i find it strange that fan 4 & 5 on the commander pro are working without issue on quiet, which are the same LL120 fans. So it made me wonder if something is broken on fan 6?

To your other question. In my set up the ll120rgb is connected to the copro and the LNP has 2x2 RGB strips.

Not sure yet on the reasoning or something, Just testing things out so dat. Not sure yet what 2 channels give as advantage. .

Thanks anyway so far

Hi

Alle fans are set manually to pwm / 4 pin.

Custom profiles are not really a problem to set up but i find it strange that fan 4 & 5 on the commander pro are working without issue on quiet, which are the same LL120 fans. So it made me wonder if something is broken on fan 6?

To your other question. In my set up the ll120rgb is connected to the copro and the LNP has 2x2 RGB strips.

Not sure yet on the reasoning or something, Just testing things out so dat. Not sure yet what 2 channels give as advantage. ��.

Thanks anyway so far

It’s a bug and something of a persistent one. It does not always affect all fans, certain fans, or really anything but random. Even if this bug did not exist, I would still recommend not using the Commander Pro presets. They just don’t have much value.

The only reason can think of to run the strips with two in each channel is if you wanted each pair to operate as their own “system” for sequenced effects. You can still do this for the most part with all four on one channel and two different effects applied to the pairs. They would then go to channel 2 on the C-Pro and the LNP becomes superfluous. As it’s already installed, that may not be a big concern but might alter how you control the strip patterns if you are currently doing everything twice.

The only reason can think of to run the strips with two in each channel is if you wanted each pair to operate as their own “system” for sequenced effects. You can still do this for the most part with all four on one channel and two different effects applied to the pairs. They would then go to channel 2 on the C-Pro and the LNP becomes superfluous. As it’s already installed, that may not be a big concern but might alter how you control the strip patterns if you are currently doing everything twice.

Ah cool, that was basically what i wanted to test. The LNP is allready installeren though and came "free" with one of the other packages so for now I can not be bothered with removing the LNP.

And I Will look into custom profiles then. I dont want them CPU based anyway. For my CPU i AM using the h150 with 3 splitters so there are 6 fans controlled that way (yes I know 12 fans total is An overkill). Ideally I want the other fans controlled by GPU temperature or case temperature, not decided on that yet.

Thanks anyway so far, got me some tinkering to do!

Archived