Corsair Community

No idea what I need to buy, too many options

Reap3r160

So I recently got a new case(460x rgb) and am going with RGB fans.

I'm coming from non RGB fans which I could control in link along with my h100i radiator fans which I can no longer since the fans included with the case are 3-pin.

So now I have no idea what I need to buy to get everything to work the way I want it since there are SO MANY options out there.

Goals:

speed controllable led fans

a way to control the leds(yes the 460 came with the hub but it can't set coloring per fan)

So what do I need to buy? Hubs, fans, controllers, doo-hickes, nib-nabs, etc? I currently have a pwm hub that came with my enthoo luxe case, as well as the corsair lighting hub that comes with the 460x, as well as the 3 pack RGB fans I believe.

Help greatly appreciated.

You really want a Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro to get the most out the RGB fan (SP, HD, or LL). It is a tremendous difference in control, even if you prefer very subtle, simple pattern. The brightness control alone is worth it on the HD series.

The Commander Pro has fan control capability and tied into Corsair Link to provide software desktop control. It should be able to manage your SP-RGB fans, even though they are 3 pin DC. It doesn't work with every fan out there, but it certainly should work with any Corsair units. This is the simplest and cheapest option.

If you really wanted (or needed) to run the radiator fans from the pump controller, they would need to be PWM. In the RGB line, the new LL and HD series are PWM and could be powered and controlled from pump and Link. However, replacing the fans in a very expensive option and you would still want a Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro to get the full lighting options. I would go for the Commander Pro first and then look at other options down the road.

You could do these same things with PWM fan controllers and temp probes, but that is exactly what the Commander Pro does with the added benefit of some light options. It would also solve any issues Asus motherboard headers that don't do what they are supposed to and eliminate any need for FanXpert/AI Suite based fan control.

Question: With the Commander Pro, what options do you have for the temperature control for the fans? Can you have fans linked to the coolant temperature controlled by the Commander Pro? And do you need to have Link running for that to work or can the Commander Pro monitor the Liquid temps from the USB connection directly?

@c-attack

That was exactly all the information I needed! Thanks!

So you're saying the Commander Pro MIGHT be able to control the SP120s? In any event, I think getting the commander first and seeing how things work is a good route as getting HD120s would be easy if necessary.

And you can make, for example, each fan a different color with this?

As for the radiator fans, if I just connected them to the commander vs the splitter on the h100i would that work? Or do they HAVE to be connected to the cooler splitter in order to change with CPU temps? The latter would make sense.

• Corsair Employee
Question: With the Commander Pro, what options do you have for the temperature control for the fans? Can you have fans linked to the coolant temperature controlled by the Commander Pro? And do you need to have Link running for that to work or can the Commander Pro monitor the Liquid temps from the USB connection directly?

Any temperature that Corsair Link can read can be used as a source temperature for fan control.

You would need to have Link running to do so.

@c-attack

That was exactly all the information I needed! Thanks!

So you're saying the Commander Pro MIGHT be able to control the SP120s? In any event, I think getting the commander first and seeing how things work is a good route as getting HD120s would be easy if necessary.

And you can make, for example, each fan a different color with this?

As for the radiator fans, if I just connected them to the commander vs the splitter on the h100i would that work? Or do they HAVE to be connected to the cooler splitter in order to change with CPU temps? The latter would make sense.

The SP120s can be controlled by the Commander Pro.

Here's how the radiator fans would work:

1. If you connect them to the H100i (note that you'd need PWM-based fans and not SP120s for this), the H100i will control them based on the H100i's coolant temperature. This means you can program a fan curve and then shut down the Link software entirely and the cooler will still function. Note that it is *preferable* to use coolant temperature instead of CPU temperature, as coolant temperature fluctuates less and is directly proportional to cooling performance.

2. If you connect the SP120s to the Commander Pro, you can set the fan curve to either the CPU temperature or the H100i's coolant temperature, but you WILL need Link software running to maintain the curve.

Archived