Corsair Community

Other brand fans mixed with SP120 in a 570X

shatnerspants

Hi,

I'm building a budget gaming PC with my son. Our budget is very small and its our first time building a PC.

Given we are not that fussed on RGB lighting I'd like to save money on the fans to go with the 3 x SP120 at the front.

The plan is to add 2 x 120 (other brand) fans to the top, and a single 120 to the rear. No AIO cooling.

Do I simple not connect the new fans to the Corsair fan hub?

If one or more of the fans is a single colour LED fan so I connect that to the hub?

I know I should really use SP fans throughout the case but at 3 times the price of generic fans I can't justify the expense.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

If you are referring to the fan hub that I'm thinking that you are referring to, it is for RGB only. You won't be able to connect non-RGB fans to it ... or RGB Fans from another manufacturer either.

Check out the RGB FAQ in my signature.

Thanks for that. I read your RGB post yesterday, impressive!

So, other fans will be OK, but I'll connect then to the motherboard, not any Corsair hubs or controllers.

Hi,

I'm building a budget gaming PC with my son. Our budget is very small and its our first time building a PC.

Given we are not that fussed on RGB lighting I'd like to save money on the fans to go with the 3 x SP120 at the front.

The plan is to add 2 x 120 (other brand) fans to the top, and a single 120 to the rear. No AIO cooling.

Do I simple not connect the new fans to the Corsair fan hub?

If one or more of the fans is a single colour LED fan so I connect that to the hub?

I know I should really use SP fans throughout the case but at 3 times the price of generic fans I can't justify the expense.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

What is your motherboard? I doubt it that there are enough fan connectors to connect all of your 6 case fans. Probably you will need a fan hub (not the RGB Fan Hub which comes with the triple pack of SP120 fans (And lighting node pro) those control RGB only), you still have to connect the SP120 Fans on the motherboard in order to make them spin.

Anyway, as I was saying you will need a minimum of 3 slots fan hub (6 slot recommended so you put all of your case fans on it and control all them all in once) or you will need some Y splitters.

But you could go for AF Series fan which are really affordable compared to the RGBs one.

What is your motherboard? I doubt it that there are enough fan connectors to connect all of your 6 case fans. Probably you will need a fan hub (not the RGB Fan Hub which comes with the triple pack of SP120 fans (And lighting node pro) those control RGB only), you still have to connect the SP120 Fans on the motherboard in order to make them spin.

Anyway, as I was saying you will need a minimum of 3 slots fan hub (6 slot recommended so you put all of your case fans on it and control all them all in once) or you will need some Y splitters.

But you could go for AF Series fan which are really affordable compared to the RGBs one.

Good point, thanks. I'm heading towards an EVGA Z370 board which I see has 6 fan headers (PWM though).

This is all a lot more complicated than I thought LOL!

Most fan headers can be toggled between PWM and DC control. I'm not sure about your other fans but the SP-RGB fans are definitely DC controlled.

That said, we recently did come across a motherboard that was PWM only - which was quite unusual. I don't know if this is the case with EVGA's board.

Most fan headers can be toggled between PWM and DC control. I'm not sure about your other fans but the SP-RGB fans are definitely DC controlled.

That said, we recently did come across a motherboard that was PWM only - which was quite unusual. I don't know if this is the case with EVGA's board.

Great, thanks. The EVGA board supports both PWM and voltage controlled fans.

Archived