Corsair Community

ASUS Striker Extreme and dominator pc10000c5df

romeld

I have an asus striker extreme board and just got 2gb of corsair twin2x2048-10000c5df ddr2 ram for it. the other components of the system are as follows:

pc power and cooling 1kw psu

2x xfx geforce 8800 ultra

intel qx6850 core2duo extreme quadcore cpu

2x plextor dvdr px-716a dvd drives

wd raptor x 150gb hd

hitachi 1terabyte hd

the motherboard sets the ram to 800mhz instead the 1250mhz that the ram is rated at. no matter what i do i cant get the system to post at the rated speed. so far ive updated to the latest ram, manually set memory timings and voltages, unlinked ram from fsb. what am i missing? or is it not possible to get the ram to run at 1250mhz on this board?

i have the ram installed in banks a1 and b1 if that matters

Download memtest from http://www.memtest.org and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Enter the BIOS and set to these values:

Multiplier = 9

FSB = 333

DRAM = Unlinked and set to ~1250Mhz

Memory Timing

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked

CPU FSB: 333

CPU Multi: 9

DDR FSB: 1250

tCL: 5

tRCD: 5

tRP: 5

tRAS: 18

CMD: 2T

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled

LDT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Enabled

Limit CPUID MaxVal: Enabled

Enhanced C1 (C1E): Enabled

Execute Disable Bit: Enabled

Virtualization Technology: Enabled

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Enabled

LDT Frequency: 5x

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz): 101

PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz): 101

PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz): 101

SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz: Auto

Voltages

Vcore = Auto

Vdimm (DRAM Voltage) = 2.4v

Termination Voltage = Auto

1.2v HT = Auto

NB Vcore = 1.45v

SB Vcore: = Auto

CPU VTT: = Auto

Boot to the optical drive with the memtest disk and allow for two full passes. Do not enter Windows until you have passed memtest.

Results?

i have used pretty much the same settings that derek has suggested minus a few. but i have tried exactly what he suggested and it wont post or boot the memtest

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked

CPU FSB: 333

CPU Multi: 9

DDR FSB: 1250

tCL: 5

tRCD: 5

tRP: 5

tRAS: 18

CMD: 2T

ram voltage 2.4v

NB voltage 1.4v

And what are you setting the CPU multiplier to when you start over clocking try and lower it , also you may need to set the CPU Voltage as well.

i have not touched the cpu multiplier yet, its still at 9. i am new to overclocking what should i set the multiplier to and what voltage would u recommend i try

I am bumping this because I have the same problems as Romeld, and almost the exact same system specs.

However, my system will not stay stable even when set to 5:4 ratio. It boots up and then the system freezes after a few minuts.

I too know almost nothing about overclocking so I haven't tried any of that.

However, even when its running stable at 800mhz it is increadiby slow. My Sisoft Sandra benchmarks for Memory Bandwidth are terrible:

Int Memory Bandwidth: 6712 mb/s 26% below the lowest comparison, 52% slower than the top comparison.

Float Memory Bandwidth: 6682 mb/s 27% slower and 51% slower as above.

Would it be that much better with the mhz increase?

I have run Memtest multiple times and it says nothings wrong.

So I tried some of the settings above, and now it wont post at all. I have been using this computer for over a month now and have a lot of work related material on it.

How do I get back to the bios without clearing the cmos? And if I do have to clear it will it whipe out my mobo's raid array and all my data?

This is my third computer build, and I have never had such a frustrating time. I have never had to mess with voltages, OCing or anything else to get my computer running smooth, or running at all for that matter.

as far as i know clearing the cmos will not wipe out your raid array but im not 100% on that. if your system behaves anything like mine when it fails a boot the only way back into it is to clear the cmos, every time mine failed a post or boot with the settings ive entered it would let me back into the bios but would freeze on the first page. when you tried the 5:4 did you remember to overvolt the memory to 2.4v and set the 5:5:5:18 2t values manually?

This is my third computer build, and I have never had such a frustrating time. I have never had to mess with voltages, OCing or anything else to get my computer running smooth, or running at all for that matter.

buying that ram is forcing you to oc it ;) your only other choice is to buy some real quality 800mhz ram

Well, its too late for me to return the ram.

So, I have taken things apart to enable the clr CMOS button. Now that the button is enabled I have pressed it and depressed it multiple times and the system still will not post.

I know the bios is reset because the blue leds on the mobo are turned off now, I had them set to always on.

The LCD in the back says DET DRAM when I try to turn it on. What else am I missing to reset the bios?

Edit: So I can almost make it to the Bios. It keeps locking up on the republic of gamers splash screen before I can hit delete. Any ideas?

when i clear my cmos i press the button till it is no longer lit up red, wait 2 seconds then press it again so it lights up again then hit the reset button. i do all this with the system powered and have had no issues. the only other thing i could think of is if one of the sticks of ram is bad. try to reset the bios and boot with only 1 stick of ram in, after u get it reset try to boot with the other, that will tell u if u got a bad one.

Ok, I took the ram sticks out, and tried them one at a time. The same thing happens. Starts to boot and locks up on the Gamers splash screen. I have even tried different slots with the ram.

I get the same messages on the LCD screen, DET DRAM, INT VRAM, and INTRINIT. What I love the best is that Asus gives no defenitions for this stupid LCD thing in the manual or website. Awesome.

Everything was working fine 2 days ago until I tried to figure out why the ram was so damn slow. Sigh.

try to take everything apart, take out the cpu, clean off the thermal grease, put new back on, clean the socket wtih compressed air, take out the sound card, vid cards and what not, then put it all back together nice and solid, if that doesnt work i have no more ideas left. ive found that when u go tinkering inside the computer sometimes things move around slightly and cause issues like that.

Ok, So I am still having a problem even getting my system to run at the 1066 mhz that you some how have managed to do.

I have manually set the timings on the ram.

Set the voltage.

Have the same thing that you have posted on the first page, but my system STILL freezes on the Gamers Republic splash screen.

I don't understand what the hell is not working with this ram and motherboard.

Basically, only default settings work for me. So far all I have tried locks up on the splash screen before bios settup.

I have tried having it both linked and unlinked. I already know that I can't get it to its 1250mhz top speed, but I was hopping to at least get it to run stable at 1066. Would be better than 800 anyways.

On a side note, does corsair sell the ram fan separate? The one that came with my ram, the center fan has crapped out. Makes hiddeous vibration noises.

Archived