Corsair Community

Flash Voyager 1GB write speed ?...

guillaumeux

Hello everybody,

(I'm french so sorry for my bad english...)

I have just bought 3 corsair flash voyager 1GB memory key (on LDLC.com France) and they write all extremely slowly. For a file of 700 Mo I must wait 6 minutes, so a write speed about 2 Mo/s.

I have tried with HDtach and read is about 9 Mo/s.

I have tried with Sandra and write is maximum 2,2 Mo/s.

I have tried the same things on my laptop and the results are the same.

My OS are Windows XP pro.

And I tried this tests on the 3 keys I have bought the last week.

My laptop is very recent and my desktop computer too.

I have seen some threads on French forum which talk about it.

I have bought these keys because a lot of Internet tests say they can transfers about 12 Mo/s in write, 19 Mo/s in read.

What happens with our keys ?...

Thank you for your answer.

I have this exact problem. Altho I didn't buy 3 of them.

I had a Flash Voyager 1GB. I used it for a whole year with no problems. Then the metal usb plug ended up bending off the circuit board, so I RMA'ed and everything went smoothly, got the new one just fine.

Just received my new one in the mail today, and the same drive seems half the speed of my original flash. So I ran some HD Tach tests as well, and noticed that it's read speeds top out at 9MB/sec. I compared the flash voyager with my other flash drive which is some shady off-brand that cost me $5, and the shady off-brand drive won by about 2MB/sec, its sequential read speed was 11.3MB/sec.

I tried ATTO disk benchmark, and the Flash Voyager would top out at about 6.5 mb/sec write speed, with the 64KB files or larger. And the shady off brand wins again in that category and writes 64KB files or larger at about 9mb/sec.

Now why would I have purchased a premium product from the wonderful company of corsair, which I have come to know and love over the years, while building numerous development machines, and gaming machines with their parts, and never having any problem.

I know its supposed to perform alot better than that, because I've seen it before on my old drive. My question is, will Corsair let me RMA this one under that reasoning?

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/705/clefusb2zm0.jpg

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2493/clefusbco3.jpg

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6208/clefusb3ce8.jpg

These results are for the three keys I have bought !

You are lucky toolman667 because 6.5 Mb/s is not so bad like it...

Maybe they change their components but they don't change the model name and the serial, so people think that they are the same in the tests we can found on Internet...

It's no more the speed keys we known, it's just a new model which have the same design and the same name but that's all...

Am I right ?...

Or maybe a large serial of bad keys...

So Corsair must do something for their customers, communicate about it for example ?!

I don't know what to do because I am not sure that change the key will change the problem.

I have 3 keys and all the same problem so maybe all the new keys have these problems...

Also remember that I'm French and it's very expensive to send my keys in USA :(: :sigh!:

I think I will give back them to the market LDLC because I bought them less than 7 days ago.

(But if you tell me : send them to USA and you will have back 2Go keys with SLC chip, off course I will do it :roll: )

But as you can see on my pictures it's not "slightly" slower but 5* slower than the old keys...

It's to much. Maybe are there some problems with this series ?...

Which models are on SLC chips ?

I saw that the 2Go flash voyager were still in SLC, is that true ?

Thank you for your posts :):

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/3182/clefpu7.jpg

It's done !

Format with dos and tested after.

No change !

Something strange, it detects the key like USB1.1 but after many verifications, she was on USB2 port (Asus P5P800). Maybe the program ?...

PS : I never have some message from windows (like your hardware is switched on a low speed port).

So I ask LDLC for return my keys because of the 7 days of retractation, but I will be refund because I don't think yet it was just a bad serie...

The last interessant keys are the 2Go because they are always in SLC but I don't like the new politic of Corsair who sell keys bottom of the range with his reputation of top of the range.

http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/HardwarePeripheriques/Divers/corsair-flash-voyager-sujet_29093_1.htm

I'm not the only person who said that...

Normally, the evolution of technology let product biger keys with better speed and better quality but cheaper cost of production...

How explain the politic of Corsair with his flash product ?...

Biger keys, cheaper cost and to do this, bad quality ?...

It's not a good deal for customer !

• Corsair Employee
Well I am sorry, but it’s just the way the technology is going and while I agree with your feelings but it’s not reality. In order to get the larger size flash drives they will loose some performance with the currant controllers that are available. And all of us making these products are the same; we are however coming out with a performance line of Flash products. But I do understand how you feel.

Archived