Corsair Community

ML RGB inferior specifications to ML PRO

NEETGamer

Corsair, why is the ML RGB version different in specifications ?

ML120 PRO RGB

Airflow 47.3 CFM

Static Pressure 1.78 mmH20

Sound Level 25 dBA

Speed 400 - 1600 RPM +/- 10%

ML120 PRO (No LED)

Airflow 12 - 75 CFM

Static Pressure 0.2 - 4.2 mmH20

Sound Level 16 - 37 dBA

Speed 400 - 2400 RPM

ML120 PRO LED (RED/WHITE/BLUE)

Airflow 12 - 75 CFM

Static Pressure 0.2 - 4.2 mmH20

Sound Level 16 - 37 dBA

Speed 400 - 2400 RPM

I believe the main selling point of the ML series is the superior AIRFLOW / STATIC PRESSURE under silent operation which beats most if not all competitors. So I don't really see any benefit in sacrificing such a huge performance to enable RGB with only 4 LEDs.

Even the newer released LL120 RGB performs significantly less than the previous and much more superior HD120 RGB.

LL120 RGB

Airflow 43.25 CFM

Static Pressure 1.61 mmH20

Sound Level 24.8 dBA

Speed 600 - 1500 +/- 10% RPM

HD120 RGB

Airflow 54.4 CFM

Static Pressure 2.25 mmH20

Sound Level 18-30 dBA

Speed 800 - 1725 +/- 10%

So basically,

1. If you want the best performance RGB - The HD120 is superior overall.

2. If you want the best performance Single Static LED Color/No LED - The ML120 Red/White/Blue/PRO (Excluding RGB version) is the winner.

P.S. I almost bought the LL120 most recently because the lighting can be attractive but instead I decided to purchase 6 x HD120 and I was waiting for ML120 RGB since I need 4 more fans. But now I'm really disappointed that they don't reflect the specifications of their previous versions. So for now I'll just buy the regular ML120's or additional HD120's.

I would have to agree ... I am highly disappointed. :(::(::(: When I heard that the ML RGB fans were coming out, I was hoping for the superb performance of the regular ML fans coupled with the cool effects of the RGB fans ... for my radiator, of course. I currently have ML-120s on there and I'm really super happy with them. They perform just as well as the stock fans and are definitely a good bit quieter, even at full speed.

I suspect that it is at least partially due to the lower RPMs on the RGB fans, which also means a quieter fan. Notice that the HD fans also have the highest noise rating, highest RPM and highest static pressure of all the RGB fans that Corsair offers.

Take the time to do the math. Airflow and static pressure curves are not strictly linear on 120mm fans, but it will be close enough for comparison. After you adjust for like speeds, you may be surprised. After all, a 2400 rpm fan is only better than a 1600 version if you are willing to run those 2000+ speeds.

Take the time to do the math. Airflow and static pressure curves are not strictly linear on 120mm fans, but it will be close enough for comparison. After you adjust for like speeds, you may be surprised. After all, a 2400 rpm fan is only better than a 1600 version if you are willing to run those 2000+ speeds.

Well, the thing is, I do. It'll kick in after extended sessions ripping and encoding Blu-Rays. Granted, it never gets to 100% (40C on my curve) but it does get close.

And you're probably exactly right ... at 1600 RPM the current MLs probably have the same static pressure as the RGB MLs.

That is the point to consider. If you do use the upper range and you feel that extra speed is providing a benefit, than you want the high RPM fan. I have not had a chance to really look at these, but I suspect from a design standpoint current becomes a limiting factor when mixing high speed and RGB and possibly center mass as well. The other point to consider is we already have a bunch of variations in the high speed ML fans. While a 2000-2400 rpm fan can be useful, not everyone wants to hear the mandatory 12v blast on start up or wake. This does provide a quieter option with a slant toward aesthetics. Even with my heavy hardware, the new lower limits just cover my preferred settings. They should be able to provide excellent performance for 99% of the people out there.

I have 13 fans in my system and they all run between 300-800 RPMs. 12 of them are on radiators. I have 6 ML pro LED and 6 High pressure LED fans from Corsair. The noise difference between the two is night and day. I can run the MLs at an average 300 rpm higher than the high pressure fans and generate the same noise.

My point is, even at full load during benchmarking, my fans don't go higher than 1400-1600RPM, so I don't mind the lesser RPMs with the new ML RGB pros. My guess is part of the difference in static pressure flow is the fact that they have lower RPMs. Normally the number given for that stat is when the fan is at full throttle, same with the decibels.

For me it is all about the noise!! That being said, at $50 CAD per fan that is quite the premium! I'd love to get another 6 ML fans but it would be over $330 with shipping and all. EESH.

Archived