Corsair Community

I can't get my 24 pin cable all the way into my motherboard.

ShakeAC92

I have a RM 650 power supply and a MSI Z87 45 Gaming motherboard. This is my first ever build and I'm really struggling to get the 24 pin connector into the motherboard, just getting the other end into the power supply was also very difficult. The connector gets about 90% of the way into the motherboard but won't go the last 10%. I'm putting as much force as I can onto it and I've tried jiggling it around, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Here is a picture of the issue:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ekm8ed&s=6#.Uyor-vldV8E

You have to keep jiggle it and press it with moderate pressure until the "latch" plastic is straight. Careful not to crack your motherboard. I'd hold the right side where there is no screw with your finger in order to prevent that

I had to struggle a bit with mine too with my newest hx850 but in the end the latch finally clicked in place meaning it was deep enough.

I too have the Z87 G45. Not sure if this just this mobo but it does seem like the 24 pin slots are very narrow. I always have difficulty especially trying to get out the 24 pin. Takes me about 15 minutes, and that includes using a very small flat head screwdriver prying out the cable.

You have to keep jiggle it and press it with moderate pressure until the "latch" plastic is straight. Careful not to crack your motherboard. I'd hold the right side where there is no screw with your finger in order to prevent that

I had to struggle a bit with mine too with my newest hx850 but in the end the latch finally clicked in place meaning it was deep enough.

I too have the Z87 G45. Not sure if this just this mobo but it does seem like the 24 pin slots are very narrow. I always have difficulty especially trying to get out the 24 pin. Takes me about 15 minutes, and that includes using a very small flat head screwdriver prying out the cable.

How did you jiggle it? back and forth from the top and bottom changing pressure between sides?

Pull the 24-pin connector back out of the motherboard. Take the individual wires and wiggle them around. This should loosen up the pins inside the plastic connector. After you do this, try it again.

Thanks I will try this and post the results.

Pull the 24-pin connector back out of the motherboard. Take the individual wires and wiggle them around. This should loosen up the pins inside the plastic connector. After you do this, try it again.

I just tried this and still was not able to succesfully attach the connector.

I basic gently took each wire going into the connector and rotated it around in a circle a few times, gently pulling away from the connector as I rotated it. I then even more gently pulled the wire away from the head of the connector and then equally gently pushed towards the connector, basically trying to put some pressure on the wire from all directions.

I don't know how fragile the wires are so I was pretty cautious with it and that might be why it didn't work. I assume one dislodged wire would make the whole cable useless so I wanted to be careful.

Trying to plug it in after this process was just as difficult as before.

I've had some cable + MOBO combos that were VERY tight. I've had to put fingers under the MOBO to support it and use both thumbs to press it in.

Hmm, i guess i might just need more pressure but I feel like If I apply maximum pressure I might break it? I'm also having trouble getting my audio front panel connector attached to the mobo and with the way the pins have no plastic surrounding them on that im even more cautious. Should I just go for it and apply maximum pressure?

You do have to make sure it doesn't crack. I had a very tight fit with my Corsair 230T case, and I half broke my USB3 port on my MSI Z87 G45 motherboard because the case connector wouldn't go in. It was part my fault because I thought I would just jam it and didn't hold the mobo connector. Luckly for me it still works, and I used a zip tie to tie the case connector on the case to keep the mobo connector at a correct angle.

If you have an old mobo, try to get the connector in that without risking cracking your g45 mobo. See how much pressure you have to put into that.

Also, as I mentioned, just see if the PSU 24pin latch is straight. If it is that means the connector should be deep enough.

Have you tried by any chance powering your computer up with that you can manage now? Not sure what would happen if the 24pin connector is not fully in, but see if it works.

You do have to make sure it doesn't crack. I had a very tight fit with my Corsair 230T case, and I half broke my USB3 port on my MSI Z87 G45 motherboard because the case connector wouldn't go in. It was part my fault because I thought I would just jam it and didn't hold the mobo connector. Luckly for me it still works, and I used a zip tie to tie the case connector on the case to keep the mobo connector at a correct angle.

If you have an old mobo, try to get the connector in that without risking cracking your g45 mobo. See how much pressure you have to put into that.

Also, as I mentioned, just see if the PSU 24pin latch is straight. If it is that means the connector should be deep enough.

Have you tried by any chance powering your computer up with that you can manage now? Not sure what would happen if the 24pin connector is not fully in, but see if it works.

I haven't tried booting it up yet. Could it cause damage to the PC if it isn't fully connected? Unfortunately I don't have an old motherboard to test the cable out on because my current and only other PC is a laptop.

Archived