Corsair Community

RM650x + FX9370 4+4 eps12v cable melted

thanosmel

I am about to buy a new pc but i want to keep my 2 year old rm650x psu.

While i was removing the psu cables from my old motherboard i noticed that the 4+4 pin connecting to the motherboard was half melted.

My current pc is crashing all the time and i just figured out that this may be the problem.

Should i just replace the melted cable and use the rm650x to my new pc or should i use warranty?

My pc has a history of heating problems since i have the fx9370. I know my cpu is not supported by my motheboard but somehow i have this pc for 4 years and it is working fine most of the time.

current pc specs:

AMD FX-9370

Windwos 10 OS 64 bit

GTX 960

Samsung ssd

toshiba hdd

rm650x

gigabyte 970a-ud3p mobo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

If the motherboard doesn't officially support the CPU, I would stop using it immediately. You can find replacement cables on our website, but I would tread carefully, especially if you saw the cable was melted. That could indicate other issues in the PSU. To be safe, I would just use a new PSU.

In the future, if you're not completely familiar with products, it's important to use only officially supported combinations of components, to not only ensure your safety, but that of others around you.