Corsair Community

H110i GTX dead?

Born_2_kill_83

Swapped my computer over after upgrading my case this weekend, and noticed while gaming the fan kicking in on my H110i GTX, never happened before. After trying the radiator in different positions and fan configs I finally pulled it out the case and did some more testing.

Booting up windows would see idle temps between 60/70c, I remounted onto the CPU 3 times with no effect.

One pipe hot the other pipe was cold, fans spinning up really high, corsair link showed pump speed maxed out as well. I could hear running water when changing the pump speed.

With the radiator out of the case I decided to give it a firm tap with the palm of my hand on the side and top, within 2 seconds the temps dropped from 70c to 30c.

After turning the PC off and on the problem would come back, also the temps starting climbing back up after 3mins of tapping the rad, even more so when stress testing the CPU.

So is my H110i on its way out or is my CPU creating massive temps. CPU 3 months old, cooler 6 months old.

A Strange problem the cooler works fine again after being tapped. But if I mount it back in the case I can't tap it in there.

You might as well put it back in and see how it goes. It sounds like there was some sort of flow restriction and you have dislodged it, although perhaps only temporarily. The key number to look at is your H110i GTX Temp (water temperature) in link. It should be just above room temp at cold boot and might climb into the 35-45C range while under heavy load, depending upon climate. If you are seeing 40C+ water temperatures at idle, something is wrong.

Seems like there might be a bubble stopping water flow (some small amounts air in the system is too be expected since it's nearly impossible to get it all out but it shouldn't be much at all). Do you have your rad above the block or below the block? If you hear some gurgling noise from the pump then there's probably a bubble trapped in the pump. You can try to turn the computer upside-down and sideways in a few directions while the pump is running in order to dislodge the bubble. Then flip it back over and see if that did it.

You might as well put it back in and see how it goes. It sounds like there was some sort of flow restriction and you have dislodged it, although perhaps only temporarily. The key number to look at is your H110i GTX Temp (water temperature) in link. It should be just above room temp at cold boot and might climb into the 35-45C range while under heavy load, depending upon climate. If you are seeing 40C+ water temperatures at idle, something is wrong.

H110i temp at idle without tapping the cooler is 50c, give it a quick tap it'll drop to 37c, I used to run at 30c idle.

Seems like there might be a bubble stopping water flow (some small amounts air in the system is too be expected since it's nearly impossible to get it all out but it shouldn't be much at all). Do you have your rad above the block or below the block? If you hear some gurgling noise from the pump then there's probably a bubble trapped in the pump. You can try to turn the computer upside-down and sideways in a few directions while the pump is running in order to dislodge the bubble. Then flip it back over and see if that did it.

Doesn't matter if I have it above the CPU or below the same problem. Tapping seems to solve the problem but it soon comes back, it's almost like lots of bubbles slowly join and form a big bubble blocking the system.

It probably isn't bubbles, but regardless it is time to RMA to cooler. 50C water temp at idle is out of bounds. Pump position in relation to the radiator should be irrelevant on a properly functioning unit. Do the express RMA if you can. You will need to create a Corsair account if you don't already have one.

Archived