Corsair Community

Determining which DDR3 sticks go together in a kit

backscatter

Hi everyone, I need some help about identifying the content of two ram kits. Let me explain…

Some time ago I bought a used MB+CPU+RAM combo.

It’s actually the system I have listed in my profile (ASUS Sabertooth P67, i5 2500k, 16GB DDR3 1866 CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9).

But here’s the thing: as you can see from the SKU, that’s a 4*2GB kit, and the previous owner just bought two of them. I quickly realized that, despite the two kits being identical, they have a lot of trouble running together. The system eventually always crashes under stress.

I did some quick tests:

- tweaked (and eventually removed) the CPU OC. No change in stability whatsoever, it doesn’t look like it’s the CPU’s fault.

- tested those memories on another system that I have (Sabertooth 990FX, FX8350), same problems. For the record, this system is running just fine with a 2*8GB 1866 ram kit. So we can exclude CPU and motherboard.

- lowered ram frequency to 1600MHz, system still unstable.

- ran memtest 86+ for about 10 hrs. No errors, but when I try to run it in multithreaded mode it always locks up within minutes, and this happens both on the Intel and the AMD system (this may be a memtest 86+ fault, though. I didn’t test with other kits/systems).

For now I just found a spare 1600 kit I had lying around and I’m using that.

I know that I can still try to make them work by tweaking timings/voltage/frequency, but there’s something I don’t know: is there a way for me to know which of the sticks went together in which kit? Of course I didn’t buy this hardware new, and I don’t know how the previous owner mixed the 4 sticks. Is there a way to at least put the two kits back together so that I can either use them as 8GB or sell them and get a proper 16GB kit?

The only numbers on the stick that aren’t identical on all 4 of them is a 6 digit number that comes right after the size of the stick (see pic). Two of those numbers are consecutive, so I intuitively thought that those two sticks belong together, but I honestly have no idea, I don’t even know whether that number is actually a serial (or maybe manufacturing date?), or whether it’s relevant at all for my purposes.

Any advice? Thank you in advance!

DSC_0663.thumb.JPG.c7e393ec77e9a5e7f2cb507fbf366d7c.JPG

• Corsair Employee

Hey backscatter,

Sorry that you're having issues with the kits. Running two kits in the same system can cause stability issues, but matching the pairs may help bring back some stability but probably at a lower speed.

On your picture, the top modules go together and the bottom modules go together. It's possible to not have sequential numbers in a kit, but it is possible that the seller had a third kit and gave you one of each because the number do tend to be fairly close if not sequential.

Archived