Corsair Community

Computer Crashes after RAM Upgrade

swissvman

I bought my computer 2 years ago, and never had an issue before. I recently bought 4x sticks of XMS3 Corsair RAM memory (4GB each) and installed them successfully (even used anti-static gloves and wristband). Well now, mainly when I play computer games (but just having many apps open will do it once in a while), the computer will simply restart. It used to be worse: It would freeze and have a horrible buzzing sound. A couple of days ago, I moved the RAM sticks around and now the computer simply restarts.

What I've done so far:

-I ran MEMTEST on them (no failed test), individually, in pairs, and as a group

-I switched the sticks around

-I upgraded every possible driver (BIOS, Video Card, Sound Card, etc.)

-I ran CHKDSK

-I ran full anti-spyware/malware scans

-I checked the real-time temperatures with downloaded 3rd party software (uninstalled later), and the GPU and CPU temperatures seemed fine while playing games.

-I even performed a full manufacturer's reinstallation

And when I downgrade to the earlier RAM sticks (4x 2GB), everything works fine.

So what's up? If the hardware is not at fault, and the software seems to be up to date, what is going on?

Update: I was simply browsing the Internet this morning (less intensive task on CPU) when the computer crashed.

Detail missed: A couple of times in the past, the date/clock was messed up after restart. But even if the CMOS battery was faulty, why would it work with the original RAM sticks, and then cause problems with the new ones? Must not be connected...but I thought I would still report that detail.

Were all modules from one or two sets? = two sets

Which MotherBoard do you have? = Pegatron IPISB-CH2

Also are you overclocking your CPU? = I can't. The Motherboard I use is basic/cheap. No overclocking option. My BIOS doesn't have voltage options.

Is the computer blue screening or have an error report upon restart? = No, it simply shuts off, and restarts automatically. It then prompts me to select the mode of restart (safe mode, or not), but that’s it.

Ok...so I got a new PSU and it seemed okay. Just now the computer freezes with a constant buzzing sound, like before. Memtest doesn't pick up errors. Faulty GPU then? But computer crashes when NOT playing games as well. And besides when I use old RAM sticks nothing bad happens.

It's hard to trace problems like this. It could be your memory, your motherboard or your os. I suggest if you have a spare drive, try installing a fresh OS.

Then from there start to rule things out. First your memory, then hard drives.

I also suggest you check if you have a clean source of power. I mean from your plug. Fluctuating or unstable power source could damage your pc components.

Archived