Corsair Community

[Fix] High CPU Usage of iCue 3.3.103!

solarity

It appears so. But, again, that completely disables support for the cooler.

Just for iCue?

It's primary function as a cooler still works? What feature set is missing?

Also did you say only the V2 is effected and other iCUE compatible AIOs are not effected?

Lastly does the LEDs go to the default or last color specified if the XML is removed?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please note I am frequently updating the orginal post, I have almost re-written it 4 times in the past 16 hours. Did you try disabling the the lighting effects for the AIO cooler? As recommended by DevBiker

Thanks for your hard work on this.

Can you clarify what exactly you mean by disabling lighting effects on my AIO? There's no trashcan icon next to it like my other corsair devices (K95, MM880 pad, VOID pro, Lightning node pro with strips and HD120 fans, ST100). All I can do is set all 3 RGB values to 0, but that seems to have no effect.

If you don't recommend XML solution, then what else can I do while waiting for Corsair to roll out the fix? I could just keep the application closed, but then I lose my VOID pro and keyboard macros.

Just for iCue?

Yup. And with iCue installed, Link won't touch the cooler.

It's primary function as a cooler still works? What feature set is missing?

It does. But you won't have monitoring and, if your fan curves aren't based on the coolant temperature (as they should be), your custom fan curves won't run. And if you've not saved the profile to the cooler explicitly, it'll run in default mode. While this will likely work OK for some folks, it may not be ideal.

Also did you say only the V2 is effected and other iCUE compatible AIOs are not effected?

Primarily, from what I've seen, that particular family of coolers is the most affected. My H115i PRO system doesn't have CPU utilization quite as high but still higher than I'd like - and higher than previous versions of iCue.

Lastly does the LEDs go to the default or last color specified if the XML is removed?

Depends on what's saved to the cooler's memory.

Thanks for your hard work on this.

Can you clarify what exactly you mean by disabling lighting effects on my AIO? There's no trashcan icon next to it like my other corsair devices (K95, MM880 pad, VOID pro, Lightning node pro with strips and HD120 fans, ST100). All I can do is set all 3 RGB values to 0, but that seems to have no effect.

If you don't recommend XML solution, then what else can I do while waiting for Corsair to roll out the fix? I could just keep the application closed, but then I lose my VOID pro and keyboard macros.

No problem, I am glad to help.

I am still working on this and as I don't have an AIO, I haven't really looked into the settings. Though DevBiker informed me it is different than most other devices. The only CPU fix for the V2 at least is to move the XML to a backed up location. If you can live with the extra tax on your CPU you can also leave it as is, it is your call. I didn't want to recommend the moving of the XML as I thought that disable lighting effects was the best practice. As that is impossible for your AIO, moving the XML file is the only solution I have at this point. I will still work to see if I can find another solution, though I am at work right now. I am an end user like you, so I am learning as we go. I will update my front page...again. :)

Yup. And with iCue installed, Link won't touch the cooler.

It does. But you won't have monitoring and, if your fan curves aren't based on the coolant temperature (as they should be), your custom fan curves won't run. And if you've not saved the profile to the cooler explicitly, it'll run in default mode. While this will likely work OK for some folks, it may not be ideal.

Primarily, from what I've seen, that particular family of coolers is the most affected. My H115i PRO system doesn't have CPU utilization quite as high but still higher than I'd like - and higher than previous versions of iCue.

Depends on what's saved to the cooler's memory.

So if people are fine living with some increased usage then they do nothing, if they want to reduce CPU usage, they will have to remove the XML file.

Hi all, I have been reading this thread as I seem to have the same problem as I have a Corsair K65 keyboard, M65 Mouse and the H150i pro AIO so it was causing me a lot of problems as everything worked fine until I put iCue on.

For me I was getting 10 to 12% CPU usage in idle and after much playing around with icue, it turned out to be my Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 memory. This is the LED version red...not RGB!

After taking of the lighting profile from the RAM, the CPU usage went back to normal. If I put a lighting profile on the memory the CPU usage goes straight upto 10 to 12% again. I now am living with no lighting for the RAM and hope the next version sorts it out.

Hope this helps...

Hi all, I have been reading this thread as I seem to have the same problem as I have a Corsair K65 keyboard, Mouse and the H150i pro so it was causing me a lot of problems as everything worked fine until I put iCue on.

For me I was getting 10 to 12% CPU usage in idle and after much playing around with icue, it turned out to be my Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 memory. This is the LED version red...not RGB!

After taking of the lighting profile from the RAM, the CPU usage went back to normal. If I put a lighting profile on the memory the CPU usage goes straight upto 10 to 12% again. I now am living with no lighting for the RAM and hope the next version sorts it out.

Hope this helps...

Thank you very much for your input. So you just removed the lighting effect or did you move the XML file?

Hi all, I have been reading this thread as I seem to have the same problem as I have a Corsair K65 keyboard, M65 Mouse and the H150i pro AIO so it was causing me a lot of problems as everything worked fine until I put iCue on.

Hope this helps...

For the record, I can confirm that Red LED Vengeance RAM is also problematic in addition to several of the AIO coolers. The only thing that fixed it for me was to remove my H100iv2 XML profile AND disabling the lighting on my RAM.

The RAM lighting is neither here nor there, but losing all control over my cooler is really sub-optimal.

What other Corsair products do you have? That's pretty extreme, even for this release.

I only have hs60 surround 7.1:biggrin:

In 3.2.87 dont happent this for my, less than 1% os use cpu... This is my laptop MSI GL62M 7REX-2202XES, i hope the fix soon.

Edited by toshaka-rin

What other Corsair products do you have? That's pretty extreme, even for this release.

I have a ton of Corsair products and was getting 35-40% as well, before using the XML fix and disabling my RAM lighting.

Wow! Am I missing anything from my first post of known issues?

You can add the ST100 to the list of working devices. Other than that, I was able to reproduce the observed problem with my VOID pro, Red LED RAM, and H100i V2.

The RAM lighting I couldn't care less about, but not being able to use my headset is especially bad because removing my AIO's XML file reverts the fans to their loud default setting.

I believe that'll be supported in CUE (rather than iCue). For now, especially with that kind of CPU usage, I'd suggest uninstalling iCUE (in preview/beta) and using CUE. You shouldn't lose any functionality ...

I will post this as a suggestion. Good point that this might be best for some users.

You can add the ST100 to the list of working devices. Other than that, I was able to reproduce the observed problem with my VOID pro, Red LED RAM, and H100i V2.

The RAM lighting I couldn't care less about, but not being able to use my headset is especially bad because removing my AIO's XML file reverts the fans to their loud default setting.

Thanks for the extra data, I added some points that DevBiker gave me, that the users need to ask themselves should live with it, down grade to an older version or downgrade to CUE w/ Link. For me none of my devices are effected, so it is easy for me. Good luck with what ever you pick!

Disclaimer: Information provided by a community member and given without any warranty or guarantee. Attempt at your own risk!

LIVING DOCUMENT! I am continually updating this first post, as more details come to light, so check back if needed.

Issue:

iCue Prior to updating: 1-3% CPU Usage

iCue After Updating: ~28% CPU Usage on a 8600k @ 5Ghz

Reproducible: Yes

Some devices lighting effects cause higher than normal CPU utilization.

Diagnostics:

Going to task manager shows higher CPU usage for the "iCUE (32bit)" process. Tested iCue devices are 2xLNP and a K70 Lux keyboard.

1) Disable Demo mode: Settings=> General tab => (Check) "Show only connected devices"

This fixed it for me, as the void wireless headset demo appears to creating the issue for in demo mode. I was able to determine it was the void wireless headset demo as I removed each XML demo profile and the only one that caused the high CPU utilization, was the C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine\devices\profile_demo_void_pro_wireless.xml file. I moved it to a backup location and demo mode functions w/o the high CPU usage as the Void Pro Wireless is no longer there. I had to restart iCue every time I moved a XML profile.

2) If you are still having issues with "Demo mode" disabled, try disabling lighting effects on different devices. For some devices you will need to set the "Lighting Effects" drop down to "SELECTED EFFECT". Try first devices that match known problematic devices or devices that are not confirmed as working. It appears that issue is only effected for the active profile. So you don't need to remove all the lighting effects for all the profiles, just the active one. I recommend the creation of a test profile and keep it at as the top profile so the system will default to it. (Thank you DevBiker)

Resolution:

1) Disabling Settings=> General tab => (Check) "Show only connected devices"

Result: CPU Usage dropped down to 1-3% usage for Corsair's iCue processes. I have tested this multiple times, every time I unchecked "Show only connected devices", the CPU immediately jumps ~25%. I even tried a reboot and I am still able to reproduce the fix and the problem. One user required a reboot to fix it this way.

2) Keep lighting effects on disable on problematic devices for active profile. You can create a test profile, in any case keep this profile on top so the tool defaults to it.

3) This will prevent the device from being controlled via iCUE! Solution #2 will allow for non-RGB features to work as well as lower the CPU's utilization for iCUE. Only if 1 and 2 doesn't work: Move the XML profile for the effected device to a different location. Application restart required, reboot may be required for some users. Do NOT remove any other files, only files of devices you have one at a time. Do NOT delete them, put them a directory where they are safe/backed up! Things can go wrong, and attempt only at your own risk!!!! This confirmed solution for V2 AIOs/coolers.

4 Only if 1, 2, & 3 doesn't work: Unplugging effected devices from USB header might also help, though I would confirm that the device doesn't require a USB connection to function.

Conclusion:

This is an issue of high concern and I would like to help Corsair resolve this issue ASAP! This might be more wide spread as I only have 2xLNP and a K70 I am unable to do further testing on other headsets, wireless devices, AIOs, and etc. as I am limited to the devices I own. If anyone can report issues with any of their other devices, please speak up. If we can narrow it down, it can help them fix it quicker. Though do note it might not be fixed as quick as some may want. These are possible temp solutions, though bear in mind this is beta, if we all apply these "fixes" it might prevent the dev team from gather the needed data to make a permanent fix. As this bug effects people different and we all use iCue in different ways it will be up to you to figure out the following:

1. Will these work arounds suffice for you?
  2. Should down grade to an older version of iCue?
  3. Should you revert to CUE and Link?

TL;DR; I am pretty sure that most people with a similar setup as me will fix the issue, so long as they disable demo devices from appearing. Some devices may cause higher CPU usage. More tests are needed.

Confirmed Working Devices

• Lighting Node Pro w/ any attached device
  • Commander Pro w/ any attached device
  • K70 Lux Keyboard
  • K95 Platinum Keyboard
  • MM800
  • Glaive Mouse
  • ST100

Confirmed Problematic Devices

• Void Pro Wireless headset *Requires Fix #2
  • H115i V2 and possibly other V2 coolers. *Requires Fix #3
  • Dark Core Wireless Mouse *Requires Fix #2
  • RGB RAM *Requires Fix #2

Require Further Testing

• Various iCue attached AIOs (Liquid Coolers)
  • Various iCue attached Headsets
  • Various iCue attached wireless devices (including mice)

Disclaimer: Information provided by a community member and given without any warranty or guarantee. Attempt at your own risk!

i dont have demo mode on and all I have is K70 RGB, M65 Pro, H110i GT

And i have high 16% CPU usuage on the process no matter what, if i bring the software to the forground and turn on icue space its exact same cpu usage as closing it all down so its not working in the background seems to me its using all power all time, before recent patch was 1-3% cpu usage now 16% all the time its terrible

i dont have demo mode on and all I have is K70 RGB, M65 Pro, H110i GT

And i have high 16% CPU usuage on the process no matter what, if i bring the software to the forground and turn on icue space its exact same cpu usage as closing it all down so its not working in the background seems to me its using all power all time, before recent patch was 1-3% cpu usage now 16% all the time its terrible

Demo mode is not the issue, it was a device in demo mode that was causing the issue. Did you try any of the other steps I recommended? It might be related to your cooler, need you to test to get a better idea.

I have a HUGE problem with this. Spend all day trying the solutions given here by you, Solarity, trying another other things and nothing worked for me.

I have a bunch of corsair things. K95 RGB Platinum, Glaive RGB, Void Surround, MM800 RGB Polaris, ST100 RGB, H115i AIO watercooler and Vengeance RGB RAM modules on my desktop based on a intel core i9 7900x.

The iCUE proccess is consuming ~5% of my computing resources, but this is like a margin for all resources available, being different for each CPU used by you.

Looking deeply, it's consuming almost 100% of one core of my i9 with 350mb+ of RAM and on my notebook with one intel core i7 7500U, it destroys the entire performance and makes the PC useless.

I tried all the solutions presented here and not even one makes any less consumption of my CPU. I'll try now rolling back for the previous build or change back to CUE+Link until this ridiculous code is fixed.

If anyone else has another idea, please let me know.

Thank you solarity for your help by making this post with all this info.

Edit 1: Thank you again for the previously build of iCUE in another thread, solarity. You rocks! \m/

I'm rolling back to iCUE 3.2.87 on my desktop PC and backing to CUE 2.24.50 on my notebook. It's impossible to use iCUE on a i7. I'm wondering what is happening with the people using i3 or even older CPUs. Worried... a lot! Hope they find this topic with a little effort.

Edit 2: I found in this another thread (thanks guys!) one post with some helpful hint, minimizing the iCUE rather than closing it to system tray helps a lot. With this now it's consuming like 40% of one core and drops the overall use to 1~2% instead of 100% of one core and 5~7% of overall CPU resources. BUT this only works in the standard profile. If I switch to another profile rather than the default one, the CPU use increases again. Tried to understand what's causing this in other profiles but I can't find anything that is causing this, nothing related to lighting effects on my KB, mouse pad, mouse, headset stand or memories. I really have no idea what is different in my profiles that is triggering the CPU extreme use.

Edit 3: Ok now I figured out what is going on with my profiles. Seems that the linked lighting FX and only a few others makes this weird workaround useful and ONLY AFTER moving the XML of the demo profiles to another folder or temporary removing them. And the things becomes even more bizarre. The CPU use is only reduced when at least one light is on. If I use the "visor" FX, I got spikes in the CPU use and the spike is in the moment which the lights if off, backing to drop when lights becomes on. The graph changes accordingly the speed of the "visor" FX. Instant light mess with everything although of the state/color of it, so don't use it if you want to use this workaround. I am tired of testing this things, so I removed all the 9 XML demo profiles.

Edit 4: This workaround worked only until I restarted my desktop PC. So I'm giving up for this sheet of A4 paper and rolling back to 3.2.87.

Edit 5: After some more and more and more and infinite more time spent on this state of art Corsair's code, I have to let you know that they changed the things in profile database, converted when updated to the new iCUE build. So, guess what?! If you want to roll back to the previous version, your profiles wouldn't be compatible with it and no tool to convert them to the previous format is provided, if you are wondering yourself... So, for precaution, always get your profiles backed up anyway even if you are reverting to the previous build in case of the new ones isn't restored to the profile library when update again, when they should be showed up again. Although they are not in the profile lib if you roll back to 3.2.87, they still are in the profile folder: %appdata%\Corsair\CUE\profiles. So when you update again to 3.3.103+ they should be back again into the lib.

Edited by KnightArch
1- Added a new thank to solarity. 2- Added a note about a workaround mentioned by DevBiker. 3- Added a note found/developed by myself about the workaround. 4- Added news about the workaround. 5- +Info

Just sharing my experience short and sweet,

Updated to 3.3.103 to find iCUE using 30%-40% cpu at all times.

After reading this thread and trying all possible solutions (disabling demos, disabling all lighting effects, unplugging micro usb from AIO cpu block) the only thing that worked was backing up and deleting profile_h100iv2.xml that dropped iCUE's cpu usage to 3% but now of course I have no monitoring of my AIO sooooooo :[pouts:

How is this a fix? A fix would be rolling back to the previous update, because at least you can use the hardware you spent money on.

Your fix is literally just disabling all the parts. Which begs the question, why do we need to use this software if we're disabling lighting? lol.

How is this a fix? A fix would be rolling back to the previous update, because at least you can use the hardware you spent money on.

Your fix is literally just disabling all the parts. Which begs the question, why do we need to use this software if we're disabling lighting? lol.

For me it is a fix as I don't have high CPU, all of my devices work, and I don't get the crazy rainbow mode. The original post is adapting as we are finding out more stuff. I did specify it is up to the user to pick their medicine, it is easier to just disable demo for someone like me, than the uninstall it. For others it does make sense to revert to a previous version. I use to have the two previous versions in my signature, though it mysteriously disappeared out of my sig two days ago, so I don't know if they wanted me to post it or not. I am adding links for the download of CUE/Link as well as the previous version of iCue.

Edited by solarity