Corsair Community

Is it possible to replace the side panel?

ddg

I just purchased this case and it is on the way. I plan on buying the small self contanined watercool system from corsair. I think it is the H-50. But I do want to increase the overall air flow. I want to try and replace the side panel with a fan intake just above the power supply area. I really do not need a window. I want performance. I was looking on here for a solution to the air flow problem, and I saw something similar to what I am looking for, but he found a full mesh side to put in the window area. I want the mesh to fit the size of the fan 120ish or 140ish to make sure the air flow is directed to the top. If the mesh is to big we can not get the channeling effect that I need. Is it possible to find something like this or should I create my own? I love this box, and we just need to fix this air flow problem, and this company will have the best box out there at a decent price. GO USA companies!;):

He actually replaced his window with the mesh to mount his fans. I like the looks of the mesh and will likely change mine if and when my window has any problems. They are planning on offering a solid side cover at some point in time but it will likely be a little while yet, at least that is what I read somewhere.

I want to try and replace the side panel with a fan intake just above the power supply area.

RAM GUY: I was wondering. Are the left and right side panels interchangeable? So maybe ddg can trade his window panel with someone else else who wants a second window panel, in exchange for the non-window panel. Would that work? Just asking.

RAM GUY, not sure if you got the memo but our brilliant product manager over cases anticipated this .;): The side panels ARE interchangeable. Very soon, we'll be selling the solid side panels via the Corsair store for those customers that want a solid side panel on both sides.

"Soon" is the best answer I have been given for the panels on Corsair store. Are you talking about an RMA or what?

Yes, I am for those few people having issues with the case? I haven't received any email back from Corsair about issues?

Use the RMA link I provided. RAM GUY does not issue RMA numbers directly.

hmm...aim I going to have to ship the whole case in for RMA? Whats going to happen? I just need a replacement part. For the bad ones. Thanks Yellowbeard.

I have no way of knowing, that is up to the RMA department. However, I can't imagine them asking you to send your entire case in. However, the only way to find out is to fill out the RMA form.

Ok thanks, will Corsair be covering shipping cost, for people that had issues with the case from the start?

Well I unboxed my case. It looks really great. I have some shipping issues. Someone used a forklift and pinched the panel and made a quarter size indention in the side panel. It is only about 1/4 inch deep so I can live with it. I am more into the performance than I am the asthetics.

Now for the problem at hand.... has anyone tried mounting a higher speed fan than the one included on the intake above the power supply and 3 fans up top along with the corsair h-50 for the cpu cooler? surely that would be enough air flow to keep things cool. Or would that addition air being pulled from the bottom interfere with the fan intake for the hard drives? I know someone has done some testing with fan displacement to see how the air flow progressed through the box. Anyway I still have a couple of weeks before all my parts can be shipped. I am still waiting to order the H-50. new egg didnt have the part listed the last time I checked. Anyway I am all ears and eyes.

Now for the problem at hand.... has anyone tried mounting a higher speed fan than the one included on the intake above the power supply and 3 fans up top along with the corsair h-50 for the cpu cooler? surely that would be enough air flow to keep things cool. Or would that addition air being pulled from the bottom interfere with the fan intake for the hard drives? I know someone has done some testing with fan displacement to see how the air flow progressed through the box. Anyway I still have a couple of weeks before all my parts can be shipped. I am still waiting to order the H-50. new egg didnt have the part listed the last time I checked. Anyway I am all ears and eyes.

From what I read, it doesn't look like you are watercooling at all except for the H50? It has been tested to cool better with the fan reversed to an intake.

With that, I am running Yate Loom Mids through out my case with Gentle Typhoons in the top for my radiator. I modded the case and installed a Yate Loon 120 on the front (bottom) sucking air in and a Yate Loon 140 mounted to my 140 GTX Rad, both as intakes where the bottom hard drive cage used to be ;).

I am going to test the temps with my lower fan setup but I am also water cooling the snot out of it. I am replacing the rear fan with the 120 that came with the H50 for now but might switch to a gentle typhoon later if needed and the 3 up top are pushing air out through the Feser 360.

I am still waiting on some parts before I finish my cutting on the bottom rad mount. Once that is done and my new RAM gets here, I should be up and running by next weekend full bore so I can let you know my temps. I also installed some vented PCI covers on the rear to increase airflow for the cards until I get new 300 series to watercool and will replace those with stock if it is too much.

With that, I am running Yate Loom Mids through out my case with Gentle Typhoons in the top for my radiator. I modded the case and installed a Yate Loon 120 on the front (bottom) sucking air in and a Yate Loon 140 mounted to my 140 GTX Rad, both as intakes where the bottom hard drive cage used to be ;).

Noise levels? Clock speed?

I am going to test the temps with my lower fan setup but I am also water cooling the snot out of it. I am replacing the rear fan with the 120 that came with the H50 for now but might switch to a gentle typhoon later if needed and the 3 up top are pushing air out through the Feser 360.

I am still waiting on some parts before I finish my cutting on the bottom rad mount. Once that is done and my new RAM gets here, I should be up and running by next weekend full bore so I can let you know my temps.

Please. Also, will you change clock speeds or other BIOS settings?

I also installed some vented PCI covers on the rear to increase airflow for the cards until I get new 300 series to watercool and will replace those with stock if it is too much.

"replace those with stock if it is too much." I'm not sure what you are saying here.

:D:

Yate Loon 120mm med speed is 1650 RPM 33db 70.5 CFM, 140mm is 1400 RPM 29 db 62 CFM. The Gentle Typhoons 120mm are 1,450 rpm 21 dBA 85 m³/h. All controlled by my two fan comtrollers so they will not be operating at max but might be pretty close to 75% to keep any noise down. That is why I went with the Gentle typhoons in the top of my case. I would've loved to install the feser ones but I don't think I would have room plus they are pretty expensive for an experiment.

As far as clock speeds, yes I will be overclocking the cpu i7 920, not sure how high I will be able to get, depends on how the 12 gig RAM kit reacts but I am looking for a stable 24/7 overclock on watercooling and the Classified recommends the RAM be operated at 1.65 volts max.

The stock PCI slot covers/expansion card blanks are solid preventing airflow out of the case, if I have Good air flow over the components they will work fine, if I do not have enough then I can put the stock solid blanks back in to help the stock airflow path. While I like the looks of the side cover mod with mesh, I am really waiting to see the results. I think it will cause problems with the air flow path of the case but I am not sure. All of my mods are put in place to simply boost the airflow through the zones of the case, not disrupt the flow if that makes sense. At least until the New 300 Series NVidia Cards come out and water cooling blocks for them are available.

I am still in the middle of a couple of mods before I put my system together and run it up so I will not know what I can get from the system until then. I just don't want to be cutting on the case with my components installed so I am waiting until I get my rad to make the bottom cut and then start putting it together.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23098

I want to buy these three fans and put in the top..

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9067/fan-560/Feser_Noiseblocker_Triebwerk_TK-122_NB-Multiframe_120mm_x_55mm_Mid_Speed_Fan_-_1800_RPM.html?tl=g36c15s932

I have the H-50 on the way, and I thought I would see how the stock fan cooling did before I changed the intake. I had wanted to hear from someone who had tested this type of set up before I started changing the stock fans. I have heard a push pull set up on the H-50 would really help. If that was the case I thought about taking the fan from the intake area just abiove the power supply and using it as the pull fan on the H-50. Of corse I would use the rear fan as the pull fan.

And then replace the intake fan at the bottom with a high speed fan.

But they have said on this site that they have a side panel being released soon. If the put a side grill in it I might can use it as an addition intake and stick a fan there. So really I am kind of wait until I see what corsair makes before I finish out my cooling issues. If I buy the new panel it will repair the dent that I have in my new one case.

My system that I have ordered is

processor -i7 920- I will be over clocking

case- corsair 800D

addition fans so far... http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9067/fan-560/Feser_Noiseblocker_Triebwerk_TK-122_NB-Multiframe_120mm_x_55mm_Mid_Speed_Fan_-_1800_RPM.html?tl=g36c15s932

Cooler- corsair H-50

Power supply- Corsair 1000w

Memory- 12 megs of Corsair 1600's with a corsair memory fan

Mobo- Egva 760 classified

hard drives- (2) WD 1 tb SATA hard drives.

My video card decision will me made on monday. I want the new ASUS 5870 but they are out of stock at new egg. I think they should have one in the first of the week.

Fan controller- it is the new zalman's controller they have out. It was a 70 buck fan controller so it should help some if I put in a high speed fan on the bottom intake. However, like I said I am trying to wait and see what corsair comes up with as far as the side panel is concerned. I hope everyone has a blessed weekend! In Christ!

The Feser fans are made to perform better with radiators to justify the price. If you are not running a radiator you might take a look at this review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2009/09/28/what-s-the-best-case-fan/1

While it is completely your choice on how to spend your money, I just figured I would off some advice. While the Feser Triebwerk is a really nice fan, it is way too much money if you are not running a radiator plus they are 55mm thick (almost double the thickness). I thought of running these with my radiator but I have the Feser shrouds with my Gentle Typhoons so it should have similar results for radiator air flow.

The H50 comes with a 120mm fans and the tray mounted fan and rear exhaust fan are 140mm's I believe so not sure on mounting it with the H50 in a push pull using 140mm fans.

I learned a long time ago, never tell a modder it won't fit. It may not always look good, but they can get it to fit.

Good luck on your build.

Archived