Corsair Community

Actions menu cuts lighting - K70 RGB

Mangelwurzel

One of the resent updates had caused selecting the Actions menu to disable all lighting on K70 RGB, but only while that menu option is selected. As soon as I select Profiles, Lighting Effects or Performance, the lighting returns.

Not being able to distinguish keys is making working within actions menu difficult.

Anyone know of a fix? TIA

The action menu was changed in the 3.7 patches so its easier to see what keys have actions bound to them. It's not going to be a change everyone likes, I've pushed your feedback up the grapevine.

Apologies, I was not clear enough in explaining the issue.

It's the physical keyboard's lighting, not the UI of the software that is effected. Only the brightness and lock buttons stay illuminated when in the Actions menu.

edit: The change to the UI when in Actions menu is actually quite helpful.

Apologies, I was not clear enough in explaining the issue.

It's the physical keyboard's lighting, not the UI of the software that is effected. Only the brightness and lock buttons stay illuminated when in the Actions menu.

edit: The change to the UI when in Actions menu is actually quite helpful.

Oh, I see. Yea that's not normal. Ill let them know. Does this happen with every profile, and could you try repairing iCUE with the installer? Also can you export your logs and upload them, you can use a 3rd party site if the file is too big for the forums

Good to hear that you like the change to the action menu.

First sentence of my message to Corsair support:

"One of the resent updates had caused selecting the Actions menu to disable all lighting on the physical keyboard (not OSD) of K70 RGB"

Reply from Corsair:

This is working as intended. We made the lighting disappear when ACTIONS is open so that people can easily identify the keys without the lighting to distract them.

Can anyone confirm the lights on their actual keyboard go out when in the Actions menu? Seems dumb if this is meant to happen.

I questioned Corsair's first response (post #9 above) to my ticket. In my response I was very clear that the problem was not the software's display but the keyboard itself.

2nd reply from Corsair:

That's what I have checked with the software engineer. We set the light all gone as default because we want to let people can easily identify what they set the action/lighting effect in the profile. If you have any suggestion for iCUE, please kind let us know and we will negotiate with engineer.

So to "easily identify" which keys are which on the keyboard, we're going to turn all the lights off?

I still think support just rush responded without reading my ticket properly. It just makes no sense otherwise.

yes simply clicking the actions menu bar kills all lighting on the keyboard straight away

Thanks for the reply.

Can you or anyone see how this is progress in any way?

If someone's keyboard lighting resembles a Christmas tree, sure, I can understand simplifying lighting when working in the menus to be an advantage.

However, switching all lighting off makes no sense, as the only objective by doing so, I assume from supports comment of "easily identify", is to have all keys look the same.

Problem with that is, we can't see the keys to input actions, macros etc.

Surely a single colour for all keys would equally simplify things visually, but at the same time allow the keys to be seen, similar to how the OSD is for keys without actions.

...Can you or anyone see how this is progress in any way?...

TBH, no not really, but I am guessing that they wanted the keys which have actions or macros or remaps etc assigned to highlight in a specific way which ... didnt get implemented reliably enough to make it through the release process but stripping it out was too much work to hold up the good progress they did have. That's just a shot in the dark and i could see the upside there, like they added the little icons on the keyboard on screen showing where and what is applied which is cool. maybe that disassociation on screen simultaneously wiped their colors on the keyboard the way it was setup internally.

It definitely should say something like hey you didn't just lose everything! :) If you left it up, it really is not obvious what is happening

Arguably a similar feature might be cool for the performance tab so we can focus on the lock lighting etc on the keyboard.

TBH, ...I am guessing that they wanted the keys which have actions or macros or remaps etc assigned to highlight in a specific way which ... didnt get implemented reliably enough to make it through the release process....

Or maybe Corsair assumed everyone can touch type and blacking out the keyboard would be fine as the actions menu has nothing to do with lighting.

I'm hoping your guess is correct and common sense prevails.

Archived