Corsair Community

My RMA Saga

Stewart1

... seems to be working out OK, although not without some worrying moments.

After the firmware update came out I tried for a couple of weeks to make it work, trying everything suggested on here and having no success despite having identical hardware to at least one person who did get it to work. So gave up on that and got an RMA number.

13 March: posted item directly to Taiwan address, with Corsair's blessing.

19 March: item received at factory in Taiwan (according to the postal tracking service)

26 March: I query Corsair for progress

27 March: Corsair replies that there is no record of having received it. I reply with tracking details, screenshot of postal tracking site, photo of package.

31 March: Corsair says they will look into it and "someone will get back to you shortly"

6 April: Starting to get quite worried, when Corsair e-mail to say that they have found the item - "there was a problem with the serial number" which was why they couldn't enter it on the system (?) - and that I would be contacted within 1-2 business days with a tracking number.

8 April: I ask for an update

9 April (today): Corsair replies with a tracking number that shows it had actually already left Taiwan and arrived in Australia. It is dumped on the doorstep by UPS later in the day while we are out at work (don't Corsair pay for recorded delivery?).

Well the serial number should no longer be a problem because like Davyc I find that the reflashing process appears to change the serial number to a new one ;):

The partedmagic ISO that I got from a link on this forum was a bit of a bust - it said "searching for pmagic4.9.sqfs" a couple of times, then dumped me out to a linux command line with an error message to the effect that partedmagic could not be found, followed by a bunch of linux-talk that was not in English.

Never mind - on the assumption that what I had been sent was actually a new drive, I skipped the wiping part, formatted in Windows 7 with 4k units, ran CrystalDisk and established that I had firmware v2.1. Huzzah!

Went to use Acronis to clone back the system partitions that I have been running off for the past month.

Except that I now had three partitions, System Reserved, regular C Drive and a data partition that contained everything that had been on the old spinning drive before I cloned the X128 to it a month ago. I could not persuade Acronis to clone only the first two, so backed up the third partition to an external USB drive and deleted it, then cloned the remaining two to the X128. Doubtless there are easier ways to do this but Acronis do not want you to find out.

Rebooted and got a fright when it said that BOOTMGR could not be found, but after a bit of investigation I realised that the boot order had changed in the BIOS and it was trying to boot from the external USB drive that I had backed stuff up to.

Fixed that, reformatted spinning drive, copied its previous contents back, rebooted. All is well. I have not run any performance tests yet, and TBH I couldn't give a damn. Just pleased to have the system back together and running.

Corsair, and especially Ram Guy, this has been a trying experience for us all. But you guys have done the right thing by your customers, doubtless at some substantial cost to the bottom line, so good on you.

Agree that it can be a worrying time, which is why when I sent mine off I opted to pay a little extra for added insurance.

It was worth the hassle and the wait - pleased that you're pleased with the end result and hope you have many happy hours with your fresh SSD ;-)

Archived