Corsair Community

iCUE kills my USB

cryptochrome

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Corsair H150i watercooler and installed iCUE. Whenever iCUE is running, my USB freaks out. A mouse connected to an USB 2.0 port freezes constantly and a USB Speaker/DAC plays static noise instead of sound briefly before it disconnects.

When iCUE is not running, everything is fine. So it's clearly an iCUE issue.

I've seen many other threads with similar issues (iCue + USB), some years old, but apparently none were ever resolved.

So I am posting a new thread here as a "me too", hoping someone may have a solution to this.

Also, do I need to keep iCUE running in order for the H150i to work properly?

Thanks

• Corsair Employee

^^^ I might actually suggest the above.

Honestly, this most likely happens because of poor USB controls in Windows caused by older driver's. I would suggest ensuring that you have the latest USB driver's from your motherboards website. Also might want to try a complete clean reinstall of iCUE.

First, locate the iCUE installation folders in Windows and delete them manually:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Corsair

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Corsair

Then locate the various registry keys related to iCUE. These can be modified by opening the program RegEdit, which comes default in Windows. Just open your START menu on the bottom left of the screen, and type "Regedit". Then you need to delete these two folders:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Corsair

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Corsair

That will generally get you around the error.

I do have similar issues. My mouse freezes from time to time and other hardware is dis- and reconnected at irregular intervals. I do have the feeling that it mostly occurs when icue switches profiles, but not confirmed yet.

-Toerti

• Corsair Employee

@Cryptochrome

I'm not trying to blame something else, it just has to do with how iCUE grabs controls for other devices. It has to hook in through a USB control of some kind and that MIGHT cause conflicts in certain environments. We run iCUE on basically every system in-office, so it isn't like this is the neutral behavior of iCUE, but some interactions outside of our more controlled environments are very possible. Regardless, I'm happy to hear that a clean install corrected the issue. If it does start cropping up again, we're happy to take a closer look to see what the issue is.

@burnteskimos42

That's normal. It's the USB drivers on the Corsair hardware turning off and on again to be hooked in through our services.

@toerti

Try turning off USB Selective Suspend and lowering the polling rate on your Corsair devices. Polling rate can be accessed in Settings.

So.... is this a Icue problem or motherboard?

I have frequent random disconnections and reconnections of USB peripherals since I installed AIO Hydro H100i PRO. Close the ICue stop this usb issue. In addition to this any game suffers from micro stutter. I'm thinking of changing motherboard, fix or do I have to remove the aio? I have all Corsair, K95 Platinum, Glaive, Void Pro Wireless and Polaris devices.

Don't change your motherboard. This is clearly an issue with the iCUE software (and this is not the only thread about it on this forum). Corsair decides to do nothing about it and blame it on everything else but their own software. If you are thinking about switching out hardware, replace your H100i with an AIO by another brand.

Don't change your motherboard. This is clearly an issue with the iCUE software (and this is not the only thread about it on this forum). Corsair decides to do nothing about it and blame it on everything else but their own software. If you are thinking about switching out hardware, replace your H100i with an AIO by another brand.

Oh, ok. If i disconnect the USB cable from the pump, it's ok or my ryzen burn like hell? Is that a Solution?

The cooler issue is a known issue we are currently investigating. Just run without the cable for now to avoid getting the USB beeping. The cooler will run off it's default fan curve.

Ehm, usb cable disconnected but the RGB led are still on.

And the H100i Pro is still on iCUE... is that normal?

then. Restarting iCUE no longer detects the AIO but the rgb leds are always on. Despite this, the disconnection of all USB takes place the same, with less frequency but it happens the same. In the game I have an annoying microstutter, even this is the fault of the icue peripherals? Closing the program the microstutter remains.

• Corsair Employee

If you close the program and still have the issue, it's unrelated to iCUE. iCUE's driver's don't run if the program is off.

The RGB's will be on as long as the cooler is getting power.

The microstutters could be related to a conflicting system driver somewhere.... Huh, can I get a screenshot of your task manager Performance tab with a game running?

If you close the program and still have the issue, it's unrelated to iCUE. iCUE's driver's don't run if the program is off.

This is simply not true. Please don't try to blame the issue on something else again.

I can confirm that simply shutting down iCUE won't fully resolve the issues. They get less, but they are still present.

The only thing that actually helps stop the problem is uninstalling iCUE. As soon as you do this, all problems will be gone. Which is undeniable evidence that it is iCUE that is at fault here.

Ok, I did various tests. Disconnecting the USB cable from the AIO is not enough. Frequent crashes and reboots of USB were the same. I had to disconnect both the polaris pad mouse and the base headset in order to no longer crash, leaving the keyboard, mouse and wireless headphones connected with open icue. The microstutter is much diminished but still present. I will do other tests. What I do not understand is why I have all these problems when I have two of my friends who have my own Corsair peripherals and have no problem. I have ryzen, their Intel, can this be the problem? Or maybe it depends on the motherboard manufacturer as gigabyte or msi?

So ... First of all thank you for the answers, very kind! In particular, thanks @Corsair Calico Jack.

It can be said that every day now I go on the gigabyte site to update the AMD bios and drivers and the beauty is that in the notes of the last bios there is written "Improve USB device compatibility" ... lol. However, by uninstalling iCUE (simply from the control panel, uninstall program) everything is solved. What annoys me is that I moved to Corsair after having had all the RAZER devices and now I have to redo the change again. Currently only the K95 keyboard and the Glaive mouse do not create a constant restart of the USB ports, even the Void Pro Wireless headphones do not create problems but without iCUE and therefore without being able to customize the equalizer in my opinion they become useless. All this with the AIO H100i disconnected from USB. What I still can not understand is based on what triggers this incompatibility? The motherboard? I have read of people with my identical motherboard not having problems, as I read people who have switched from AMD to INTEL changing everything, except the CORSAIR peripherals and having the exact same problems. Maybe iCUE has problems with other installed software? I also tried a new windows installation putting only the video card's Nvidia drivers and the problem remained. I do not know, I'm very disappointed with Corsair.

Now I wonder, I have this problem since I installed the H100i PRO but also by unplugging the USB cable I was left. Others since they have it? Is it a relatively new problem or has it been known for a long time? Is there any hope of waiting for a solution or is this situation going too far?

^^^ I might actually suggest the above.

Honestly, this most likely happens because of poor USB controls in Windows caused by older driver's. I would suggest ensuring that you have the latest USB driver's from your motherboards website. Also might want to try a complete clean reinstall of iCUE.

First, locate the iCUE installation folders in Windows and delete them manually:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Corsair

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Corsair

Then locate the various registry keys related to iCUE. These can be modified by opening the program RegEdit, which comes default in Windows. Just open your START menu on the bottom left of the screen, and type "Regedit". Then you need to delete these two folders:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Corsair

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Corsair

That will generally get you around the error.

There are only microsoft drivers. But sure , it ain't corsairs fault if they want to take over and dictate all of the usb goings on on our pc. Up to the point they might be screwing non corsair devices on their controlled usb.

I just got a psychotic episode thanks to the constant usb diconnect / connect sounds during windows boot. Really, THANK YOU CORSAIR for doing the same as they all do, trying to get people into your ecosystem and screwing everything to get it done.

Serriously, your software has never kept itself to standards, it feels like one of those old games that need hacks and hooks to get themself to work.

Also any other monitoring software uses about 0 to 1 % cpu, yours can't do it without at least 10% cpu, you're a joke corsair.

Edited by cplifj

I wanted to reconnect all the Corsair peripherals, also attaching the USB cable of the AIO H100i Pro. I went into the motherboard bios setting CPU / OPT FAN on PWN and ... now everything is fine, even reinstalling iCUE. Probably at the next reboot all the problems of disconnection connection will come back, as well as the microstutter ... I still do not understand why my friends have no problem despite having my own Corsair peripherals.

I figured out my usb intermittent failures finally! It's been a couple days since the last time my PC went through an automatic windows update which is when my problems started happening so I've been focusing on that as the cause.

It was Windows all along. Follow the 2nd half of this vid for the fix that worked for me: [ame]

[/ame]

I had already been stopping windows from putting my usb controllers to sleep under power management, but didn't think to adjust the HID settings, including the Corsair one listed in device manager.