Corsair Community

16GB (2x8) Corsair for Asus 'Formula', 9900K, and 2080ti

JuryPoolReject

The 9900K CPU will be OC'd (hope for @ 5 ghz) and on an EK-Kit X360 water loop kit (60mm radiator w/ 3x120mm fans, reservoir, D5 pump, & EK block). MB a Z390 Asus Maximus 'Formula XI' (no stock yet..I'm thinking 6-8 weeks). Which version of the 2080ti video card I'm not sure as of yet. It will probably be one of the EVGA models. (and maybe I'll wait for the Classified if they make it for the 2080ti.... but will take too long to come out for me.)

Which fast Corsair memory? ...Will prob not OC this.

The case will be the new version of the Phanteks Evolv X. I have concerns that the EK 60mm radiator/fans will not fit in the top of the case....

Thanks for responses...

As fast as your wallet can afford. Just pick a kit that looks good, has the LEDs you want if that's applicable, and is rated for the speed you want. I would recommend 32GB personally, if you're going all out (which it sounds like you are). The extra RAM can come in handy at times with certain heavy tasks, and a 4x8GB kit looks A LOT better than a 2x8GB, especially when you throw RGB into the mix.

For the record, I think you'll be hard pressed to notice a real day-to-day difference with the super fast kits - more for benchmarks and bragging rights. I'd get you some 3200MHz or similar with relatively tight timings.

No lights on the memory, though the water loop tubing will be PrimoChill blood red w/ the black Asus board... that should look awesome, as my son would say.

What exactly does that mean when someone says "tight timings"... I used to know but forgot...doh.

And btw, this computer is a gaming machine for my son and me.

No lights on the memory, though the water loop tubing will be PrimoChill blood red w/ the black Asus board... that should look awesome, as my son would say.

What exactly does that mean when someone says "tight timings"... I used to know but forgot...doh.

And btw, this computer is a gaming machine for my son and me.

The timings are clock cycles, the lower the number, the faster/tighter the timings. For instance, my RAM kit is rated 3000MHz 15-17-17-17-35-1T Timings @ 1.35V. It's the timings you want to watch out for. A 3200MHz 14-14-14 kit will be faster than a 3200MHz 16-16-16 kit, so on and so forth. That's why some kits that are the same speed but faster timings cost more.

I'd get a 3200MHz or 3600MHz kit that has as tight of timings as you're willing to spend. Again, yeah there are 4000Mhz+ kits out there, but it's not guaranteed your memory controller on your CPU will be able to handle those speeds, and even if they do, you'll have to do some considerable tweaking to get them there. XMP profiles don't always work correctly. Plus you'll be hard pressed to notice the difference, if any, other than numbers on a benchmark. We play games, not benchmarks lol. Just keep that in mind when shopping. Keep it 3000Mhz or above and 14ish timings, and you'll be set.

Thx, guys...

Think I might just get 2x8=16GB memory, as I'm paying a small fortune for the Asus 'Formula' MB, 9900K cpu, 2080ti vid card, and EK loop kit.

For a purely gaming rig, that will be fine. I see no more than 10-12GB of RAM usage when gaming, but definitely more than 8GB.

Where that extra RAM comes in handy is when editing or encoding large video files, heavy multi-tasking, virtual machines, etc etc. If you're not doing those types of work loads, then 16GB should be sufficient.

But 4 sticks does look much better, though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived