Corsair Community

Thinking of switching case, need advice

elric75

Hi there,

I know have a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe case but i'm considering switching to another one.

I'm looking for tempered glass sides, good airflow and silence, RGB ready...

I have a maximus Hero X, an EVGA 1080ti, an AIO Corsair H150i.

I was considering the Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB Se Premium but :

There is no room for DVD / bluray player but well i could always buy an external one later?

Here's what i'm considering buying to replace my Phanteks enthoo luxe and the silent wings fan I have inside

I saw that a 360 aio can only fit on the front, as intake then. I always had my AIO on the front as exhaust, I always thought that was better for the temps but would that really change something?

Are the fans delivered with the case, (LL I think?) good or a bit noisy compared to ML one? Also could I switch the 3 front fans delivred with it with the one i have on my AIO too?

i'm thinking of taking that :

So.. i'm thinking of taking:

Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE Premium, Noir Boitier PC

Corsair LL120 RGB, rear exhaust, 1 fan

Corsair LL140 RGB, top exhaust, 2 fans

And use the 3 LL included for the AIO

With my rig i'm not sure i do need a full tower

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero X

Processor: i7 8700k

GPU : GTX 1080 TI EVGA FTW3

Ram : 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB / 3466Mhz

PSU: Corsair RMI 850 GOLD

Watercooling : Corsair H150i Pro RGB

HDD: WD Green 2To 64Mo 3.5"

SSD:

Samsung EVO 850 - 250Go

Samsung EVO 850 - 500Go x2

thanks for your advices

A) Yes, you can get an external BluRay. Or, if you have an existing one, there are enclosures that you can use for it.

B) Front-mounted radiators are typically configured as intake, not exhaust. While this does impact internal case temperatures, it also gives you better coolant/CPU temperatures. Your biggest heat producer inside a water cooled system will be the GPU. And the heat from the radiator will be minimal compared to the heat from your GPU. When a radiator is configured as exhaust, you need to take the GPU heat into consideration as that may wind up being blown into the radiator, actually warming it up.

C) The LL fans will be fine for your configuration. The ML fans are a bit quieter and are better at pushing air through a radiator, especially at low RPMs. But, to be honest, the differences with your setup would likely be minimal.

Thanks ! Do you think i'll get better temps than with my actual phanteks?

With potentially 6 RGB fans and one led strip, i only need the commander and no lighting node right?

One Commander Pro has 2 lighting channels. Each lighting channel supports a single RGB Fan Hub (up to 6 fans) or up to 6 strips. So ... yes, that configuration would work. Fan Hub splitters allow you to put two fan hubs on a single channel. These are 3rd party and not supported by Corsair ... but they do work well.

Would your temps be any better? It's impossible for me to say.

Have you checked out the RGB FAQ? That's a great place to get started ...

Oh i was wondering, if i want to have for example

3 fans (of the AIO) with red color

1 fan on the read with purple color

1 led strip (do i need all those? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-rgb-led-lighting-pro-expansion-kit/6229602.p?skuId=6229602&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1260666&ds_rl=1266837&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-4j7nICM3wIVzGSGCh2MNwutEAQYASABEgI42_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds ?)

I will need the lightning node no if i got it right.

Besides that, if i get the commander and the LN, i won't have space for an HDD, no? I see that the back of the case there is space for 3 SSD and 2 HDD but where do you put the commander and the LNP if needed?

thanks again

Each individual LED is controllable via iCUE. So yes, you can do 3 fans with one color and 1 fan with another. Heck, you could set a different color on each individual LED.

As for the strips - they only come in 4 packs. Corsair doesn't sell them individually.

And as long as you have one type of fan, then you are good - you'll have one channel for the fans and 1 channel for the strip(s).

Thanks !

I've ordered the obsidian

+ 3 pack ML 120 RGB and LNP for the radiator (Since having different kind of fans can be messy i'll made a hub for the ML )

I just hope i wont lack space for it since I have 1 HDD and 3 SSD..

+ Cordair LED Strip

Is it all good ?

I'll used the LL included with the case for rear and top exhaust, is it ok to have 2x120 on the top or would it be really better to switch to 140 later?

Thanks !

Yeah i'm aware of that but with that solution it would cost me a bit less :)

So with all those i'll be all good?

To power the AIO fan, should i use the commander or can I leave it on the pump

How should I plug things for RGB since i'll get two types of fans btw? I checked on the rgb topic but can't find an answer. I will only have one LNP, one hub and one commander of course; i suppose i would need one extra hub no?

is that the right diagram?

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/49/5/1544195512-3zwbmyn.jpg

So i still plug the aio fans on the pump of the aio and not on the commander?

You can plug the fans into either the H150i or the Commander Pro.

With only six fans you can get by with only one RGB hub.

Depending on how many LED strips you use you could plug them into the CoPro as well and eliminate the lighting node. The 500D does not have a lot of extra space on the back side so the fewer items needed the better. I've got two Commanders, two RGB hubs and a Lighting Node and honestly it's a friggin mess. I can't even put on the back glass panel. There are a lot of shortcomings in this case you don't realize until you start the build. I've had mine a month an am already looking for something else as nice looking as it is.

Well i just plan to put one led strip around the case, would that be ok with one plug for that?

I canceled the ML order and will go only with LL and one led strip around the case to illuminate the inside.

I received the case today but i'm waiting for the fans.

I ordered via amazon but I dont know if it's normal but the commander was already glued... to the inside window ! I had to take it apart to put it on the back, I hope it will still be ok, it was just the two plastic parts around the electronic parts

So in the end it will be this simple diagram :

XSDWsneh.png

The commander was not supposed to be glued to the window, but quality control seems poor. There's been a number of similar complaints. Mine was stuck to the PSU shroud and not straight at all. The RGB hub was stuck to the back wall. I had to replace the double sided tape on both pieces.

That configuration will work fine. Use some painters tape and label each power and RGB wire so it's easy to match fans when doing the assembly.

What do you mean match fans?

Yeah i just hope the commander will work but there is no reason for it to be broken right?

The rgb hub was stuck to the side of the PSU hide which seem to be fine.

Now i need to find the corsair link i got with the psu, it's been a while but if I don't plug this one I guess it's not a big loss anyways.

Since i'll get :

3 chassis fans

3 aio fans

Should i need to plug it all to commander or can i leave the 3 aio fans on the pumps? Does that change anything somehow?

Easier to put all six on the commander,

I advise against this.. IF commander pro has an issue you could lose the Rad fans,, IMHO run the fans on the rad off of the pumps Fan controller.. this ensures correct AIO operation should iCUE not be running....

can still be matched with other fanss in iCUE easily enough :)

You can plug the fans into either the H150i or the Commander Pro.

With only six fans you can get by with only one RGB hub.

Depending on how many LED strips you use you could plug them into the CoPro as well and eliminate the lighting node. The 500D does not have a lot of extra space on the back side so the fewer items needed the better. I've got two Commanders, two RGB hubs and a Lighting Node and honestly it's a friggin mess. I can't even put on the back glass panel. There are a lot of shortcomings in this case you don't realize until you start the build. I've had mine a month an am already looking for something else as nice looking as it is.

I spent litteraly 9h trying to build in the obsidian 500d. Impossible to have something clean and close the door, I must be very bad at cable mangagement... I put everything back in my phanteks enthoo luxe and i guess I will just order a commander and what i need to get nicer fans and send back the 500d

I guess my phanteks enthoo isn't as fancy but will do the job for a while again :)

I spent litteraly 9h trying to build in the obsidian 500d. Impossible to have something clean and close the door, I must be very bad at cable mangagement... I put everything back in my phanteks enthoo luxe and i guess I will just order a commander and what i need to get nicer fans and send back the 500d

I guess my phanteks enthoo isn't as fancy but will do the job for a while again :)

I don't have my back panel on either. I'm also thinking about moving the system back to my Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case. It doesn't have the greatest airflow but everything fit.

Archived