Corsair Community

Loud fans

ahopman

Hello,

I have purchased 2 corsair one pro's for work and both appear to be pretty loud with no load(between 45-50db with a slight clicking noise). Is anyone else having this issue? In the corsair link app, under the MSI Z270I C...E(MS-7A66) it shows the fan under that is running between 4200-4500 rpm? Anyone know what this fan is for and why it would be running so fast? I am having this issue on both of my machines. I have looked at the bios and it confirms that the fan is running at this speed. The Corsair one GPU cooler says its running at 443 rpm, and that makes sense but I can't figure out what this other fan is...maybe the pump? All the reviews say they are silent but this is far from it. Did I get a bad batch?

• Corsair Employee

Please install the most recent version of Corsair Link for Corsair One: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/downloads

That 4200-4500rpm you're seeing is pump speed. The new version of Link describes which numbers are pumps and which are fans, and a screen cap can give us an accurate picture of why your system is so noisy.

Attached is a photo of the link app. I was reading about frequency from the pump issues, but I am not sure that this is what it is because when I use my phone, ambient sounds in the room are at 38-40db and when I turn it on it goes up to 43-45db. Also I have noticed several other videos on youtube where they specifically hold their mic up to the side of the machine when its running and I hear nothing...so I would think that I should have heard the off frequency noise at that time. The noise in my video is much louder in person and it almost sounds like something grinding.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-ZmUBaUUyc_TjlmVU1Hd09qQkU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-ZmUBaUUyc_SHBId3FfQzhEY0U

This is the same thing this person is hearing.

And there is more. I can hear also a strange noise when in idle. I uploaded a video (I recommend to turn up your volume):

In the video it sounds magnified, but you get the idea.

The sound comes from the left side.

I start the recording from the left to the right, I return back to the left and finally I go far away. You can notice that strange sound coming from the left side. I would like to know from where this sound comes, from the GPU, the PSU, the liquid cooler? Is it normal?

Can you upload videos so we can compare?

• Corsair Employee

My mistake, not used to diagnosing in Fahrenheit. ;)

I'm honestly at a loss, I can barely hear either video.

So the 4299rpm you're seeing is the pump speed, and that's normal. System fan speed of 434rpm is normal.

There are a couple of things that could be causing the noise you hear. The first is the possibility of coil whine/noise on the graphics card. Since you said it's coming from the left side, that's a very likely possibility. Coil whine isn't something we can fix or even really screen for; it's the result of the reference design of the graphics card. It's also something only certain people hear; I can almost never hear it, while our power supply engineer is acutely sensitive to it.

The other possibility is a problem with the pump. I realize your Link says there are no updates available, but if you go to our website and actually download Link, there IS a new version there which includes more useful information. If there's a problem with your GPU pump, that version could conceivably detect it, though there's no guarantee there either.

Have you witnessed any problems when loading up your system? Does the coil whine/noise occur under load or even at idle?

Archived