The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2015, 11:15 PM
fdopfel's PC Specs

POST ID # = 790141
fdopfel Reputation: 10
Default Too many LEDs?

I bought myself a spool of 2.5 meters (150 LEDs) of 5050 LEDs. They work great, but occasionally flicker to full brightness for a moment, about once every 7 or so seconds, although exact timing seems somewhat random. I tried connecting another 2.5 meter spool and had the same problem. Do you think I may be drawing too much power through the corsair link? Is anyone else having issues? Great guide by the way, I love the way these LEDs light up my 900D :D

These are the LEDs I am using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s01

Old 07-18-2015, 11:54 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 790143
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdopfel View Post
I bought myself a spool of 2.5 meters (150 LEDs) of 5050 LEDs. They work great, but occasionally flicker to full brightness for a moment, about once every 7 or so seconds, although exact timing seems somewhat random. I tried connecting another 2.5 meter spool and had the same problem. Do you think I may be drawing too much power through the corsair link? Is anyone else having issues? Great guide by the way, I love the way these LEDs light up my 900D :D

These are the LEDs I am using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s01
I seem to recall there being a topic on the amount of leds that can be used,I don't recall the specific number but it was much less than what your trying to use...
Did you do your homework and check the draw of these leds,it isn't worth a possible meltdown...

Old 07-19-2015, 12:46 PM
nh_790's PC Specs

POST ID # = 790207
nh_790 Reputation: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdopfel View Post

The blinking of the LED's is a known issue.

From the release notes: "RGB LED strips connected to a Commander Mini flash when a custom curve fan profile speed change takes place"

If you do not use custom fan curves the LED's work just fine, no blinking.

In regards to wtnyt's comment....

The commander mini can deliver 2A @ 12v to the LED channel, or 24 watts total power. (VxA=W)

a 60 LED/Meter LED strip (which is what you have) draws 14.4 W per meter, or .24W per LED.

SOURCE:
http://electronics.stackexchange.com...er-as-i-expect

So you should be able to connect 100 LED's and be maxing out the power on the commander. I don't suggest you do that but you should be able to run 80 or so without a problem.

I have been running 57 LED's in my case for almost a year with no issues at all, aside from the blinking, which is unrelated to power.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:10 PM
fdopfel's PC Specs

POST ID # = 790223
fdopfel Reputation: 10

Thanks everyone!

I was encountering blinking when I was running them in steady mode, so I think the issue is power related (seems to match the math too).

I've decided that I should cut off at least the last 50 LEDs, probably the last 60-70 just to be safe.

Thank you again for all your help!

Old 02-22-2016, 08:28 AM
Mic Drengen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 838466
Mic Drengen Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauxbeard View Post
I can only officially state that our Lighting node or Commander Mini will only work with our RGB LED strips.
Hi, sorry for bringing the dead back to life, but didn't think i'd be nessasary to start a new thread...

can you tell me if the RGB LED channel on the device is PWM or volage controlled?

Old 02-22-2016, 09:15 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 838470
red-ray Reputation: 81
Arrow Pwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic Drengen View Post
can you tell me if the RGB LED channel on the device is PWM or volage controlled?
Good question and I don't recall it being asked before so I thought I would find out. I fired up my old 465B scope and can see it's PWM.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:08 PM

POST ID # = 859501
gast77 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh_790 View Post
Make sure you get the order right, Corsair is not using the standard order.

Corsair:

12v
B
R
G

Standard:

12v
G
R
B
Sorry to necro the thread, I have a question on this quote.

What could result from connecting standard w/ corsair? Basically the green and blue would be reversed, is there any adverse affect to this or should it be fine?

I have the dominator platinum fans attempting to connect with my case connector which is standard.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:39 AM
The only one yellow 780T
Phal's PC Specs

POST ID # = 859551
Phal Reputation: 32

Colors should be wrong, so if you config 255 0 255 you will recieve yellow and not violett.

Are the connector from your case the same plug like on the airflow?

Old 07-28-2017, 01:21 PM
Bomberman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 913696
Bomberman Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh_790 View Post
Sure.

Honestly I didnt even solder. these things run on such low power, I think they just need to not touch other wires or metal...

I just twisted the wires together and wrapped with electrical tape. I'm sure someone will give me crap about that, but seems to work fine.

Anyways, the setup:

The connector used on the mini and lighting node is called an I2C or IIC connector. These days I think they are used for Arduino devices mostly. It also happens to be the exact same connector as was used on the old audio cables you used to have to use to on IDE Optical drives before XP.

I happened to have a couple of these old audio cables still so that's what I used.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The cables I had had 1 thicker wire and two thinner ones, i took 2 cables apart so i could use the slightly thicker wire (one at each end x2 cables)

So i ended up with 4 of these:

[IMG][/IMG]

So, I remove the red and white wires, and put in the other 3 black wires, and connect some extra red, green, blue, and black wires that I had from an old motherboard front panel connector.

The result looks like this:
[IMG][/IMG]

Make sure you get the order right, Corsair is not using the standard order.

Corsair:

12v
B
R
G

Standard:

12v
G
R
B

Then i got a 5 meter spool of 5050 RGB LED lights from ebay, probably similar to what you are looking at, as well as a 10 pack of solderless connectors. Total cost about 25 bucks.

[IMG][/IMG]

Around the front of the case you need to connect the red, green, blue and black wires to one of the solderless connectors and connect the solderless connector to the led strip. I just cut one of the connectors in half.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Then around your case however you want, cutting custom lengths and using the solderless connectors where needed, corners etc.

[IMG][/IMG]

I need to stick some double sided tape on the solderless connectors so that they dont peel away but the end result works pretty well. Hopefully this helps.

[IMG][/IMG]
All of the images are broken now because of photobucket no longer allowing hosted images (unless you pay a lot). Can you repost these on a different host? I'm thinking about trying to do this (specifically with CableMod RGB strips because they have magnetic backing so I can attach them without worrying about them being permanent or leaving residue) and it would be helpful to be able to see the images!

Old 07-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 913701
red-ray Reputation: 81
Thumbs down Last Activity: 02-08-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomberman View Post
All of the images are broken now because of photobucket no longer allowing hosted images (unless you pay a lot). Can you repost these on a different host? I'm thinking about trying to do this (specifically with CableMod RGB strips because they have magnetic backing so I can attach them without worrying about them being permanent or leaving residue) and it would be helpful to be able to see the images!
Looking at his profile it says "Last Activity: 02-08-2016 06:07 PM" so I suspect you will be out of luck, but if you look at http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/nh_790 you should be able to see them.

What device do you wish to use to control the LEDs? The CLCP/CLNP need 5 volt W2812B LEDs which are totally different and you may find http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907769 of interest.

Last edited by red-ray; 07-28-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Bomberman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 913710
Bomberman Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
Looking at his profile it says "Last Activity: 02-08-2016 06:07 PM" so I suspect you will be out of luck, but if you look at http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/nh_790 you should be able to see them.

What device do you wish to use to control the LEDs? The CLCP/CLNP need 5 volt W2812B LEDs which are totally different and you may find http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907769 of interest.
That's some great info in the linked post. Thanks a bunch!

Old 10-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Paul S's PC Specs

POST ID # = 923712
Paul S Reputation: 10

Corsair NODE is 5VDC, ebay LED strips are 12VDC

Old 10-18-2017, 12:30 PM
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 923713
Zotty Reputation: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Corsair NODE is 5VDC, ebay LED strips are 12VDC
unless you add the term '5v' to your search terms

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...strip&_sacat=0

Old 10-18-2017, 03:13 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 923729
SpeedyV Reputation: 41
Default YES you CAN use "Generic" 5VDC LEDs

I have a 144-LED 5V WS2812B addressable 5050 RGB LED Strip from Amazon connected to my Commander Pro (CLCP) and they work fine. The only issues are that CLCP cannot address all 144 LEDs and you have to be aware of the current load you are putting on the CLCP. When it was first attempted, the CLCP was limited to addressing 72 LEDs. I think the latest firmware release increased that limit. You can buy LED strips that are lower density that 144.

In the linked thread that Bomberman posted above are specific items from Amazon and detailed wiring diagrams.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168504

Old 10-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Dustin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 923841
Corsair Dustin Reputation: 41

The limit was raised to 96 to support the new LL fans (6x16), but the limits were in place in the firmware for a reason.

Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.

Tags
100i, comander, corsair, led, link