Corsair Community

Difficulties with MSIs JCORSAIR1 header and SP120 fans

Akraman

I got an MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard which comes with a JCORSAIR1 header to control Corsair RGB fans and strips.

I followed this tutorial: [ame]

[/ame]

I have set everything up correctly but my SP120 RGB fans stay dark.

When use the Corsair HD controller it works fine and the LEDs stay on when I remove the cable. When I plug in the cable from the JCORSAIR1 header the LEDs turn off so I guess there is an internal pull down resistor somewhere or maybe its just the GND pin that turns it off? What Im saying is the cable isnt broken.

I cant find anybody on the internet that has gotten this to work with SP120 fans. In fact the tutorial is the only instance of it working but thats with LL120 fans.

I feel like maybe the SP120 fans use a different protocol so its not compatible but MSI accidently put them in the manual as compatible because they didnt do their research?

I got an MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard which comes with a JCORSAIR1 header to control Corsair RGB fans and strips.

I followed this tutorial:

I have set everything up correctly but my SP120 RGB fans stay dark.

When use the Corsair HD controller it works fine and the LEDs stay on when I remove the cable. When I plug in the cable from the JCORSAIR1 header the LEDs turn off so I guess there is an internal pull down resistor somewhere or maybe its just the GND pin that turns it off? What Im saying is the cable isnt broken.

I cant find anybody on the internet that has gotten this to work with SP120 fans. In fact the tutorial is the only instance of it working but thats with LL120 fans.

I feel like maybe the SP120 fans use a different protocol so its not compatible but MSI accidently put them in the manual as compatible because they didnt do their research?

I do like how MSI added the JCorsair header to the motherboard. Makes things a bit more idiot proof that way. The Corsair HD/LL/ML series fans and LED strips will all work with this method. However the SP-120 use a different type of controller to control the LEDs. Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI have all standardized around the WS2812 style digital/addressable RGB LED. They communicate in this fashion. For the SP-120, they communicate in a different fashion. Corsair's iCue has the ability to specify the fans in it's tool. Not only does it tailor the effects to match the fan, but for the SP-120 it changes how the Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pros communicate with the devices.

I made a couple video tutorials on how to get the HD-120 working with the Gigabyte Motherboard. It doesn't have a Jcorsair header, but it does have a digital header that will work. A few people tried to attempt getting their SP-120s to work, but they got nothing. Even after doing this mod, I still just use Corsair's RGB controller and iCUE software as I find it superior to any other software I have used.

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

Archived