Corsair Community

Leaky Corsair H80i v2

Kirst

So... it leaked and fried a few components. My local PC shop suggested I talk to the place that built my PC, which I did and I was happy to hear that the cooler had a 5 year warranty, that leaking is very rare, and that Corsair would quite possibly cover the cost of the replacement parts.

Problem is, (which may coincide with me getting email from different/new support staff) I have had so many issues during this time with the company who built my PC and I have lost all faith in them, I don't believe a word they say, and they keep fobbing me off and changing their story.

So I am here to ask, from the point where Corsair receives a faulty unit, how long does it normally take until a decision is made either way?

Thank you

Edited by Kirst
formatting issues

You need to contact Corsair directly through the Support Ticket System in the menu bar above. Replacing the cooler is relatively easy. Damage to other components requires more. This is something handled on a case by case basis. I am not sure how the system builder might fit into the process, but you will need a purchase invoice of some kind and it it does not list parts, that may complicate affairs.

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear.

The company who built it have had my computer back and have "repaired it" and sent it back to me. I have paid them, and they have sent the cooler to Corsair, months and months ago. I'm dubious however that it really takes that long for a case to be decided.

Just the cooler? No, Corsair would replace it immediately for a defect of any type and any reputable builder would put in their own replacement and take the replacement part back from Corsair when it arrives. All replacement parts are new and sealed. Two week process, with most of that being shipping time each way. Your builder is either "vastly inexperienced and unknowledgeable" or something else. If they were waiting on Corsair to write them a check for damages to the system, then why did they repair it, charge you, and then they can't come up with a cooler from anywhere? It does not seem like they filed a claim with Corsair for other parts and this is not how the cooler replacement process would work.

They received the whole PC and supposedly sent the cooler to Corsair, in China. They then charged me for the replacement parts, and told me that they were dealing with Corsair and there was a good chance that Corsair would refund me what I paid them.

They got the PC from me at the start of Feb and supposedly sent the defective cooler to Corsair straight away. Communication is horrific, I have some concerns about the repairs that were carried out, and I keep getting fobbed off. So I was hoping to hear from others whether any of this sounds dodgy.

To my knowledge, Corsair has no return operations in China, unless they are confusing it with Taiwan. If you are in the US, it goes to California. European locations might be UK or Netherlands. Other locations vary and often the mechanism is the local dealer replaces it on site, then they get a replacement from Corsair. That is what I would expect from a builder regardless. They do not receive your cooler and repair it. They send you a new one immediately. That applies to all locations. Nobody repairs a leaky cooler. They recycle it.

When I say repaired, I mean they repaired the computer in whole. When it returned I had some misgivings, something seems not quite right with some of the USB ports/motherboard, and I was having frequent USB connects and disconnects but didn't seem to be any of my devices. Turns out that the "new" cooler is leaking. Hasn't damaged anything as thankfully it has been dripping on itself/ straight down onto the PC case. I refuse to involve the company again and my PC is currently at my local computer shop where they are replacing liquid cooling with a good old fashioned air cooler, so I don't need to worry anymore. And they're giving me the liquid cooler to take home. You've planted a seed in my mind now, so you think the online company attempted to... Umm... Repair the broken cooler? Seems like unimaginably bad luck for them both to leak.

I am having a hard time following the chain of events here. It seems like things are moving toward a conclusion, but in answer to your original question:

1) Any product replacement with Corsair would have occurred within 2 weeks. Builders and dealers typically do not send your cooler off and wait for the new part. They replace the faulty cooler with a new one, knowing they are getting a new one in return. Any suggestion they the builder has sent your stuff off to Corsair, you pay us now, Corsair might reimburse you later is very problematic. I do not speak for Corsair, but 3rd party assignment of damages resulting from a warranty claim is not going to happen and we are into the issue of who is the purchasing "owner", the builder or you. None of what you describe makes any sense in either case. I would be very distrustful at this point.

2) When you get the faulty "2nd cooler" back, post a screen shot of where the leak occurred. Leaks are not common at all. I would like to see it. Is in the same place as the prior cooler?

Edited by c-attack
Usual typos

When I say repaired, I mean they repaired the computer in whole. When it returned I had some misgivings, something seems not quite right with some of the USB ports/motherboard, and I was having frequent USB connects and disconnects but didn't seem to be any of my devices. Turns out that the "new" cooler is leaking. Hasn't damaged anything as thankfully it has been dripping on itself/ straight down onto the PC case. I refuse to involve the company again and my PC is currently at my local computer shop where they are replacing liquid cooling with a good old fashioned air cooler, so I don't need to worry anymore. And they're giving me the liquid cooler to take home. You've planted a seed in my mind now, so you think the online company attempted to... Umm... Repair the broken cooler? Seems like unimaginably bad luck for them both to leak.

I hate say it but I think you got ripped off by the first company. It sounds like they did not replace any of your parts. Maybe they cleaned them up and put them back into the case. To me it sounds like your motherboard is bad. And that they never replaced it. And these coolers hardly ever leak. If your so called "replacement" is leaking then something smells fishy to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Even though the contact form says that a part no. is optional, it really isn't as I'm unable to submit the form without it. I cannot provide it. But I do have a query.

Is there an email that I can use?