Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16Gb DDR4 3200

chongmagic

I am using the Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 in my Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha. I have the mobo set to XMP but on the latest BIOS I get a memory error with XMP settings, I have to turn that off. Some on the Asus forums say that it must be manually set with the latest BIOS, has anyone else had any issues with this memory in the Asus Maximus VIII series mobo?

This happens for one reason or another on various boards. It isn't necessarily BIOS related. Regardless, a lot of the Asus boards do better by setting the primary 4 timings and DRAM voltage, then leaving the remaining secondary and tertiary settings on AUTO. The board will use the values programmed by Asus instead of what's on the module. Generally, those are going to be a little softer with a better chance of success than a XMP preset that is universal and not designed for any one specific motherboard or platform.

• 2 weeks later...
I updated to the latest BIOS for my mobo, put in the timings manually and the computer will not post. I rolled back to BIOS 2202 and am able to use XMP settings. It is unfortunate as the latest BIOS resolves a hyper-threading bug. Every BIOS update past 2202 from Asus will for some reason not let me run at the memory rated speed. Many user's are seeing the same thing on the Asus ROG forums. I guess I will just stick with the older BIOS, but I have built many computers and have never encountered this issue before unless the memory itself was bad, but since it runs at XMP on this older BIOS and has done so for almost a year then something is up with the 3xxx BIOS updates.

Unfortunately, Asus has a habit of making substantial BIOS changes that directly affect basic operation and do not elaborate on the changes nor are they particularly sympathetic to the consequences. I had dreadful consequences as well when they massively update the X99 series for Broadwell-E.

I don't know if the hyper thread issue directly affects you, but I would not worry much about staying on the older BIOS. If does become necessary, you could try a relaxed set of primary timings. I don't know if your kit is 15-17-17-35 or 16-18-18-36, but you could slide up one on each. Or a small voltage bump to 1.37v could help at the XMP values. If you are unstable from one BIOS to the next, you are likely right on the edge.

Archived