Corsair Community

Keyboard Lighting

Gunny5821

Hello Folks,

So I have this fantastic keyboard and since this is my first RGB keyboard lighting experience, I have a quick question:

Q: Is it better to turn OFF the keyboard lights when not using it? See, my K95 sits on a keyboard tray that slides underneath the desktop, when the keyboard is not needed. I also place a lint free cloth over the K95, when I slide it under the desktop, to help prevent dust from getting between the keys (something I have been doing for decades).

So, back to the question. Please reply and let me know your thoughts and what you are doing with your keyboard.

Thanks & Semper Fidelis,

Gunny

• Corsair Employee
From a theoretical stand point, this could prolong the LED lifespan since the amount of light on hours would be reduced. Most people will turn them off as a preference since LED's typically have very long lifespans to begin with.

I don't know why I do it really, I leave my computer running, most of the time, I switch my monitors and my keyboard off, but my mouse and mousemat stay lit.

According to figures on the internet, the life expectancy of LEDs is 50,000 hours, so if you run them 24/7 they will last 5.7 years, if you run them 18 hors a day 7.6 years and 12 hours per day 11.4 years.

• Corsair Employee
At home I've saved a black profile to all my device memories so that when I lock my screen, it's lights out. Keeps visitors from wandering into my workspace and less distracting when watching TV. If you want to turn your LED's off when you're not using your machine, I'd recommend doing the same.

Hello Folks,

Q: Is it better to turn OFF the keyboard lights when not using it? Please reply and let me know your thoughts and what you are doing with your keyboard.

My default profile is lights-out. Each key retains original action and switches to my standard profile. My standard profile has a timer on the enter key, which is reset every time the enter key is used. When the timer expires, then the profile switches to my lights-out profile.

Archived