Corsair Community

H100 vs H100i? Is this right?

johan1973fun

I ran a H100 from around 2011 when they first came out until last week on my I7 2600k, running at 4.5 Ghz. Everything was fine, idle temps around 37, max load temps around 65C in prime 95.

Then the pump in my H100 gave up, and I got a H100i as a replacement on the warranty. Same CPU, same settings. Now it idles around 37-40C and max load temp with prime 95 is now 85C!!! Why the increase? Is this really right that the 100i performers worse than the 100, or is there something defective with my replacement unit?

And yes, I am sure I have mounted it correctly. I have taken the whole system apart and redone the procedure many times with great care, in an attempt to improve the result.

It should be noted that ambient temp between these tests are the same. As this is in an AC controlled room.

I know your confident with your instal, but i would remove and replace the stock thermal paste with fresh . Im not exactly sure why it helps(the pre applied stuff is actually among the best out there), but it does in some cases. There shouldn't be that great of a difference between the two units.

I know your confident with your instal, but i would remove and replace the stock thermal paste with fresh . Im not exactly sure why it helps(the pre applied stuff is actually among the best out there), but it does in some cases. There shouldn't be that great of a difference between the two units.

I have done this. I am using MX-4 as thermal compound. The original TIM lasted only for the first installation.

Back plate is installed correctly, reinstalled it several times to make sure. Since I found it is not as tight as the back plate of the H100.

It shows 2215 RPM on the pump.

Hm... your pump RPM is fine.

http://i.imgur.com/TMImK6P.jpg

There's 2 indentation on the backplate for the 2 screws shown above. Did you install the backplate as shown?

I should have taken pictures. :D

Yes, I did install it that way. The block as mentioned, is what makes the backplate stick good in place.

The motherboard I am using is the Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3. I was thinking that maybe it is not making contact between the block and the cpu properly. So last time when I removed it and reassembled, I tested the spacing using a very thin piece of paper and installed the block. it was held tight between CPU and block. It is making contact. So with the MX4 TIM in there, it should be good. However, for some reason, when the CPU scales up in load, and temperature, it is not able to transport the heat away quickly enough.

And that is so very strange, because the H100 I had before (the older version), had no problem with this at all.

Last time I installed the cooler again, I took extra care on the application of tim, a thin string along the core of the cpu, to get an even nice spread (about a cooked grain of rice in total mass), I took extra care gently putting the block in place so it would go down flat against the CPU top. And I cross tightened the thumb screws carefully until it was snugg in place. There is not much more I could have done there I think.

It is 3AM here now in sweden, so I have to get some rest. I will try to take some photos tomorrow, and put here, to see if they spark any ideas.

It sounds like you've don everything you can.

I think the only things you could try is

1. to add some plastic or rubber washers to the motherboard mount to see if it pulls it in closer.

2. try different methods and amounts of tim

3. try running to system on its side or moving it around to see if its a possible air issue.

Of none of those work I say rma the replacement unit

why dont you try a paper thin layer staying 1/8th inch from the sides,i think youll find better temps using this method

Tried it. It was one of the first things i tried. It makes no difference.

I will try to write down all the things I have tried so far.

1. Applying thermal paste differently. Thin layer done with a credit card. Thin line application. The star pattern very thin line application. All these give you good spread, and it matters so little to the cpu temperature that its more hassle than it is worth. We are talking .1 here and there, if even that.

2. Reinstalling the back plate and block. I have done this quite a few times now. I have applied washers on the back to make the back plate tighter and get more force pushing the block towards the cpu. I have tried it as it is stock mounted (running that now again), I have made sure the cpu and block has a correct flat connection and the block is not tilting to one side or another (this is why cross tightening is so important).

3. I have run fans at max speed and lowest speed, and anything in between. it makes no difference.

4. Using the fans as exhaust vs inflow of air. Push-pull configuration, and just single sided configurations. Fans on top of radiator, fans below radiator.

5. Fans connected to pump, fans connected to motherboard and controlled wiht q-fan.

You can feel the tubes that leaves the block get a bit warm during heavy load, but the block remains cool, the radiator remains cool.

The pump you can not hear it. Unless you turn every fan off, and put your ear to it. I just get the feeling that it is not pushing the liquid around fast enough to transport away the heat from cpu to radiator. But there is nothing I can do to affect the speed of the pump.

The stock intel cooler that came with the CPU is doing an equally good job as this H100i in keeping the cpu cool. And that is just plain wrong...

Archived