Corsair Community

H100i turning off and on constantly

ZealAU

Hi,

Recently I have been getting this problem where my H100i has been turning off and on every 5 or so seconds. The LEDs and the fans also turn off. However, it usually only lasts about a day then it won't happen again for another month or so. I've had to unplug the Corsair Link cable as the Windows disconnect/reconnect sound was unbearable. This issue happens in the BIOS too. When the cooler turns off and on, the motherboard shows that the CPU fan speed drops from 2300rpm to 0 and back up again (which I assume is the pump speed).

Is it just faulty?

Many thanks in advance!

It's a H100i not a V2.

OK, in that case double check that the SATA power connection is not loose, try a different SATA power connection from the PSU.

Which version of Corsair Link do you have installed?

How long have you had the H100i and when did this start happening?

Does Device Manager report any devices with errors, if so which error code?

If you run my SIV utility and post the [uSB Bus] + [Link Devices] screen shots this may provide some insight. Connect the USB cable before doing this.

OK, in that case double check that the SATA power connection is not loose, try a different SATA power connection from the PSU.

Which version of Corsair Link do you have installed?

How long have you had the H100i and when did this start happening?

Does Device Manager report any devices with errors, if so which error code?

If you run my SIV utility and post the [uSB Bus] + [Link Devices] screen shots this may provide some insight. Connect the USB cable before doing this.

I made sure that the SATA power cable was snug, and I also changed the connection from the PSU. Same issue.

I am currently running Corsair Link version 4.6.0.86.

I have owned the H100i since December 2014 and this issue started happening at the end of last year, but I didn't so anything about it as it would go away after an hour or so and just come back a few months later.

Device manager does not report any devices with errors either.

I have two screenshots of the link devices as one is when the cooler is functioning and the other is when it is not.

1501753670_LinkDevices.thumb.PNG.349836e1d3cb49780ecb717b727d0da4.PNG

2049295043_LinkDevices2.thumb.PNG.0292e28789c12a9ff482682b1391115d.PNG

USB.thumb.PNG.dfd54a6527e591b438562e01505f3d5d.PNG

attachment.php?attachmentid=28389&d=1490696402

attachment.php?attachmentid=28390&d=1490696406

The two [Link Devices] screen shots are as I would expect and I assume the screen updates as the device comes and goes, does it?

I am starting to wonder if the connection from the SATA power cable to the PCB inside the H100i has an issue. If you wiggle the SATA power cable what happens?

Can you try using a mini-USB to USB-A cable and connecting it to one of the motherboard rear/external ports? What happens if you do? Note when you do this I expect a 2nd Corsair Integrated USB Bridge will appear on [Link Devices].

The two [Link Devices] screen shots are as I would expect and I assume the screen updates as the device comes and goes, does it?.

That is correct.

I also had a fiddle with the SATA power cable, but to no avail.

Here are the some follow up screenshots when its plugged into the back of the PC:

attachment.php?attachmentid=28422&stc=1&d=1490731713Connected

attachment.php?attachmentid=28423&stc=1&d=1490731713Disconnected

The two screen shots don't show up, but I guess they are much as before.

How many and which fans are you using? The SP120s that came with the cooler? Post [Link Fans] from when it's working.

I suspect there may be a hardware issue with the H100i and suggest you log a call via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp, ask for an RMA and see what they think. Remember to upload the original invoice.

The two screen shots don't show up, but I guess they are much as before.

How many and hich fans are you using? The SP120s that came with the cooler? Post [Link Fans].

I suspect there must be a hardware issue with the H100i and suggest you log a call via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp, ask for an RMA and see what they think. Remember to upload the original invoice.

I'm using 2x Noctua NF-F12 120mm.

And yes the screenshots look like the same thing. See attached.

Many thanks for your continued help red-ray!

166818120_2ndLinkDevicesCon.thumb.png.edf1df1cc1f7f998505e23785933ed41.png

304440727_2ndLinkDevicesDis.thumb.png.e772083af8aca77a45815fdede1b5e80.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=28429&d=1490733659

Can you try using the SP120 fans?

For some unknown reason the H100i thinks the Noctua NF-F12 fans are not connected. The mode should be 8B rather than 0B and the 80 (bit-7) means a fan is connected. Hover the mouse over the mode value and a tool tip will tell you this.

I just removed the low noise adapter, still with the Noctua fans and Link Fan is now showing that the fans are connected but says that the fans are a 3-pin according to the mode 88. Also, the issue is still happening however the frequency of the drop outs are reduced to about three per minute.

537121353_NoctuaWithoutLowNoiseAdapterLinkFans.thumb.png.fbe00763315b86e5759225f9ab1e1140.png

Archived