Corsair Community

H115i RGB Platinum: Where to get another set of fans for push/pull?

Glzmo

Hello Corsairs!

I've recently installed the Corsair H115i RGB Platinum liquid cooler with my new system and aside for a couple minor quirks, like it very much so far.

However, it only came with two fans. I'd like to upgrade it with two more of the same matching fans for a push/pull configuration to improve my 9900K CPU Cooling by a couple degrees more and improve airflow inside the case a little bit as well.

I've had various Corsair Liquid AIO coolers in the past and was always able to add another pair of fans for a push/pull configuration.

Since I've already installed the cooler and it was a bit of a hassle to fit into my Master Case 5 (Radiator screw hole alignment was a bit messy) and I forgot to note down the Part numbers of the fans, I'd like to know if someone could share those part numbers with me and/or point me to a place where I can order some (European Union).

When I search the Corsair EU website or around stores on the web, the 140mm ML-RGB fans I can find go up to 1200RPM, while the ones that come with the cooler with the same product name go up to 2000RPM. Is the 1200RPM a typo and they actually go to 2000RPM, or is that a different product?

Naturally, I'd like to have the same fans specs for the push and the pull fans. Where can I purchase them (or at least fans with the same performance characteristics, although I'd prefer the very same RGB fans as they look nice).

Also, since the Cooler only comes with 2 RGB fan headers, is there a way to acquire splitters to connect two fans to each or do I need another fan controller (ideally one that supports around 5-7 ML-RGB fans in total so I can upgrade all the fans in my case to such in the future)? If so, which one exactly?

Thanks in advance!

G.

PS.: Since my included Micro-USB to USB2.0 Mainboard header cable doesn't seem to be working (USB disconnect/driver crash issues, I'm currently running a Micro USB to USB-A cable to the outside of the PC connected to USB3.1, but the cable going outside looks crappy), would anybody know where to get a micro USB to USB-C Mainboard Header instead so I can connect the pump to the USB3.1-C connector on my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master mainboard instead so I can keep the cable routed nicely inside the case instead of having to route it outside?

Those "Platinum" ML-RGB fans are, sadly, only available with the Platinum coolers. As for adding additional RGB, take a look at the RGB FAQ linked in my signature.

Thank you very much, DevBiker. Are there plans for the Platinum fans to be available separately (in a two pack) in the near future?

I'm wondering if I should buy a second H115i for the fans and re-sell the pump/radiator without them or keep it as backup.

Perhaps you can clear some things up for me:

1. Do the "Platinum" ML-RGB fans run normally without an RGB header connected (without light, of course)? Perhaps I could get a pair and get the RGB for it later or something.

2. So I've read the RGB guide and your cable guide, but I'm still not clear on something. If I get the Commander Pro, will I be able to connect the RGB cables of two fans directly to it or is an RGB Fan Hub/Lighting Node Pro required?

I'm thinking of getting just the Commander Pro to run the two extra Platinum Fans for the push/pull from it for now (with the existing ones running from the H115i headers) and then buy some more ML Fans that include an RGB Fan hub later once the budget permits it.

3. Can I connect any ML-RGB fans tot he RGB Fan Hub, no matter the size? I'd want to connect a bunch of 140mm and two 120mm ones eventually (and yes, all ML, I'm just not sure if the size matters for those headers).

4. Could I just get two of those RGB splitter cables from you and connect all my four fans to the H115i's RGB headers instead and not need a commander pro for now to just power the H115i RGB Platinum and it's fans in a push/pull configuration at all? If possible, that would likely be an ideal solution until I can afford additional ML-RGB case fans, a commander pro and an RGB fan hub.

You would think and many have been anticipating the release since the coolers launched. I suspect they are assessing demand and/or ramping up stock for a viable market release. It would seem crazy not to sell these new variants of the ML and LL as stand alone products, but these things have to be manufactured in bulk first and there are often complications and scheduling issues when dealing with third parties. Nobody from Corsair has said anything about it, but it seems impossible not to put these out.

In the meantime, you could pick up the lower speed ML-RGB and keep everything at 1100 or below (which is probably enough) or you pick up the stripped down two pack of ML140 or a pair of ML140 Pro Black. Both are non-LED, but have the same RPM range as your current set.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/ROOT-VARIANTS/LED-Color/Fan-Size/Package-Quantity/ml-config/p/CO-9050044-WW

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/ROOT-VARIANTS/LED-Color/Fan-Size/Package-Quantity/ml-pro-config/p/CO-9050045-WW

You would think and many have been anticipating the release since the coolers launched. I suspect they are assessing demand and/or ramping up stock for a viable market release. It would seem crazy not to sell these new variants of the ML and LL as stand alone products, but these things have to be manufactured in bulk first and there are often complications and scheduling issues when dealing with third parties. Nobody from Corsair has said anything about it, but it seems impossible not to put these out.

In the meantime, you could pick up the lower speed ML-RGB and keep everything at 1100 or below (which is probably enough) or you pick up the stripped down two pack of ML140 or a pair of ML140 Pro Black. Both are non-LED, but have the same RPM range as your current set.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/ROOT-VARIANTS/LED-Color/Fan-Size/Package-Quantity/ml-config/p/CO-9050044-WW

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/ROOT-VARIANTS/LED-Color/Fan-Size/Package-Quantity/ml-pro-config/p/CO-9050045-WW

Thank you for the information. I'm currently running a custom fan curve with the fans at 1500RPM minimum and ramping up as the coolant temperature rises, up to 2000RPM. This seems to work best for my purposes and is alright for noise levels to stay in line with that of my video card. So I'd need those 2000RPM fans. Then again, perhaps with a push/pull config I would be able to run them at lower RPM.

Not sure if it's worth getting the non-RGB versions now when RGB versions are around the corner either.

I think in your position I would pick up the grey twin pack. It has the performance you need and is a direct match. It is the least expensive option. They can be used in other places, saved as a back-up or test fan, and easily used. No extra RGB wiring to fiddle with and depending on your case orientation, it is like on side or the other of your front intake is not visible making the RGB effect somewhat muted.

Thank you very much, DevBiker. Are there plans for the Platinum fans to be available separately (in a two pack) in the near future?

I'm wondering if I should buy a second H115i for the fans and re-sell the pump/radiator without them or keep it as backup.

Perhaps you can clear some things up for me:

1. Do the "Platinum" ML-RGB fans run normally without an RGB header connected (without light, of course)? Perhaps I could get a pair and get the RGB for it later or something.

2. So I've read the RGB guide and your cable guide, but I'm still not clear on something. If I get the Commander Pro, will I be able to connect the RGB cables of two fans directly to it or is an RGB Fan Hub/Lighting Node Pro required?

I'm thinking of getting just the Commander Pro to run the two extra Platinum Fans for the push/pull from it for now (with the existing ones running from the H115i headers) and then buy some more ML Fans that include an RGB Fan hub later once the budget permits it.

3. Can I connect any ML-RGB fans tot he RGB Fan Hub, no matter the size? I'd want to connect a bunch of 140mm and two 120mm ones eventually (and yes, all ML, I'm just not sure if the size matters for those headers).

4. Could I just get two of those RGB splitter cables from you and connect all my four fans to the H115i's RGB headers instead and not need a commander pro for now to just power the H115i RGB Platinum and it's fans in a push/pull configuration at all? If possible, that would likely be an ideal solution until I can afford additional ML-RGB case fans, a commander pro and an RGB fan hub.

Going back to this:

1) Yes, all the RGB fans have a light wire and fan power wire. All of them will operate as a normal fan with the light wire dangling unattached.

2) The two pieces required in the chain are A) RGB Lighting Hub - this is the lighting power conduit connected to a SATA line from the PSU. Only way you can put 2 amps of lighting on these things. It is tiny 6 port hub and can handle 6 fans of ONE type, but does allowed mixed 120/140 sizes. And B) a software interface device: this is either the Lighting Node Pro (LNP) or Commander Pro (C-Pro). A Commander Pro is a a LNP with a six port fan controller (for any fan type including non-Corsair) plus 4 temp probes data slots that will allow you to take measurements and also control the fans in the absence of the software.

In your situation, the ML140-RGB twin pack would include a LNP and the RGB hub - all you would need. However, the Platinum cooler and LNP would be two different devices within iCUE and you would need to set the lighting for both individually.

3) As above, you can mix and match 120/140 to heart's desire. Order and sequence does not matter. The program counts LEDs for the most part and that makes mixing and matching different types LL (16 LEDs), HD (12), and ML (4) a bit or miss. I can get away with HD and LL since only the center hub is missing. Matching ML is harder. Also, the light spectrum tends to be different between the three models. I prefer not to mix and match. Others don't care.

4)The platinum coolers have both of those devices internally located and that's how it goes without. However, I don't know if you could get away with piggy backing the lighting current off two splitters on the existing connectors. DevBiker is certainly the one person who might know.

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

I think I'll go with a two non-LED 2000RPM ML140 ones for the inner side of the H115i RGB Platinum for now and upgrade to the ML-RGB 140mm Platinum 2000RPM ones once they become available.

One more question before I pull the trigger: Would it be safe to use two 4-Pin PWM fan header Y-Splitters on the H115i RGB Platinum to connect all four fans (the original two 2000RPM Platinum ML-RGB ones plus the two black ones) to the 115i's two fan connectors for the push/pull configuration and thus sync their speed together with iCue or would that draw too much current? Would there be any other disadvantages to that approach? If not, what are the alternatives?

Theoretically yes, but there may be a catch. The ML140 twin pack grey fans are 0.26A each. I don't have a listing for the ML140 RGB, but the fan motor is essentially the same and thus so should the current draw. It's probably on the back of the fan (0.26-0.31A is my guess). However, the lighting current is offloaded from the fan, but is still part of the total current the Platinum must supply since there is only one SATA connection. So we'll round up to 0.30A per fan x 4 = 1.20A + 2(0.62A for lighting) = 1.24A and now we are at 2.44A or so total. This figure does not include the current required for the pump or the pump LED lighting. I do not have a value for that. To be safe, I would assume 0.6A for the pump. The Pump LED is a mystery. So now we are up into the 3.05A and closing in on the 3.5A limit without knowing pump LED draw. This is somewhat speculative on my end since I don't have the unit in my hands, but there is a reason to be cautious. Perhaps DevBiker knows more.

The advantage of using the splitters would be easy fan synchronized fan control for all 4 intake radiator fans. Without it, you would need to control 2 of the fans from another source. If from your motherboard, then it can be hard to control the fans. Best bet would be a motherboard based temp probe that can read exhaust air temp from the radiator. I would think your Z390 would have one receiver for that. This is also where a Commander Pro could help out. It can take the coolant temp data from the Platinum and you can offload two fans to it or do the same trick with the temp probe and exhaust air temp. I do not think you will be able to run 4xML140-RGB High Speed from the Platinum when you get them all, so at that point you would need a Plan B anyway.

Thanks. Better be safe than sorry then. I'd assume I'd have the fans connected to the Commander Pro instead of the H115i then. Could I still leave their RGB LED connectors connected to the H115i and control their lighting with iCue while the fans themselves are connected to the Commander Pro or would I have to connect them to an RGB LED Fan Hub that would be connected to the Commander Pro?

I've been pondering, and checking prices and I've decided on getting the following:

- 2-pack of ML 140mm 2000RPM (non-RGB) fans to add to the H115i's two existing fans for my push/pull configuration

- 3 (1+2-pack with hub and node) ML-RGB Pro 140mm 1200RPM (1 for the front intake below the H115i RGB Platinum's radiator, 2 for the Top exhausts)

- 2 ML-RGB Pro 120mm 1600RPM fans to switch out the push/pull fans on my GPU's AIO radiator/back case exhaust.

I'm getting a pretty good discounted deal on the fans at my local retailer, so I'll be able to fit it into my budget.

What I'm planning to do with is to connect these fans the following way:

1. I'll hook up the two non-RGB 2000RPM ML 140mm fans as well as the existing two 2000RPM ML-RGB 140mm fans to the H115i's 4-pin fan connectors via two Y-Splitters so I can synchronize their speed with iCue. Then I'll connect their RGB LED cables, to the RGB hub to light them.

With the RGB lighting of the H115i's fans (or at least one of them which might be sufficient to keep the power draw in check) not connected to the H115i and instead to the hub, it should free up enough power for the H115i RGB Platinum to safely power and control the RPM of the 4 2000 RPM ML 140mm push/pull fans on the radiator and keep their speeds synchronized.

2. The fans not attached to the H115i RGB Platinum I'll power/control via my mainboard's 4-pin PWM fan headers and of course connect their RGB connectors to the RGB hub as well for the lighting (if I have to connect both ML-RGB fans from the H115i to the RGB hub I might have to leave the back exhaust fan without RGB lighting for the time being, but that isn't too big a deal since it'll be obstructed by the GPU Radiator anyway).

Once the 2000RPM ML-RGB 140mm Platinum fans are available on their own or if I can get my hands on them any other way before that, I'll swap out the non-RGB ones for those (and also expand the RGB connections either by splitter or another RGB Hub which will I assume will be included in a potential 2-pack anyway).

Do you think this work or are there any flaws with my plan that I may have missed?

If you get the Commander Pro + RGB Lighting Hub, you won't need to worry about this and can offload the fans to the C-Pro and make it follow the Platinum or whatever curve you like, including coolant temp based curves.

If you get the LNP+RGB Lighting Hub, then lighting power shifts to RGB Hub and likely the Plat. fan controller can handle 4 fans (motor current only).

However, I am looking for a second opinion on this. Don't take the plunge quite yet.

So ... the Platinum coolers support LL fans. That means that you can definitely power up to 32 LEDs on the fans from the cooler's LED controller. I wouldn't recommend going above that - I'm not sure what the SATA power cable is rated for.

If you are using all ML's (4 LEDs), then, you do have power to use splitters for additional LED fans without worrying about the power draw.

You might be able to get support to send you fan at cost.

One of my H115i Platinum Fan RGB is defective. I had support to do an advance replacement. Deposit of $50. Part number: CW-8960058

Once i send back the defect RGB fan, they refunded me. You might be able to buy them if cost is not an issue?

You might be able to get support to send you fan at cost.

One of my H115i Platinum Fan RGB is defective. I had support to do an advance replacement. Deposit of $50. Part number: CW-8960058

Once i send back the defect RGB fan, they refunded me. You might be able to buy them if cost is not an issue?

Thanks. It's definitely Worth a shot, but we'll see. Perhaps somebody that isn't using the stock fans will want to part ways with theirs, too. I'll have to wait a bit anyway, since I just went out and bought and installed my planned setup. Everything seems to be working well so far, the system runs much cooler already and with all those RGB fans looks "cooler" to boot. B)

I think this is probably what Corsair is looking to avoid. Small number of replacements ready if needed, but not enough for launch. Seems crazy not let these new higher speed versions out into the wild, but no one has said anything yet. You can certainly try. Yeah, there’s always Ebay, but since the fans are part of the requirements on a cooler RMA, it’s not overly wise to move them straightaway. Not sure if there will be many.

On a side note, I noticed that the ML-140 RGB "Platinum" that come with the cooler run around ~2100RPM max compared to the ~2000RPM of the black ML-140 non-LED dual pack fans. Not ideal for my push/pull configuration to have mismatched fans like that. I sure hope the ML-140 RGB "Platinum" fans will be available on the market soon so I can have four of the same fans on the H115i RGB Platinum.

100 RPM will not matter. You need to stretch is out quite a bit before it becomes an issue. I used to deliberately run my "internal" or sandwiched pair of fans about 200 rpm low. More a noise tuning exercise, but it had zero effect on temps to lower it.
Yeah, it's just a bit harder to sync them up, that's all. I wish we had the option to set an RPM curve setting for each fan, not just a % curve.

So this is one of the slightly more irritating features... The Pro series coolers use a % based fan control system, like every other motherboard I know. I am plenty used to graphing out my % = RPM xxx for all my fans and tend to track this anyway to check control function. There are some weird non-linear ones out there.

However, the Commander Pro has spoiled me a bit. It's control curves are RPM based and you can hook different fans up to the same curve and they will all run at exactly the specified RPM at temperature X. This means I can use the same control curve for any of my fans. I don't know what the Platinum does for control, but it sounds like it is % only like my Pro series. So we are back to the Commander Pro being a rather useful little device, with or without RGB. Not sure how important this is to you, but it would put all connected fans into the iCUE desktop control.

So this is one of the slightly more irritating features... The Pro series coolers use a % based fan control system, like every other motherboard I know. I am plenty used to graphing out my % = RPM xxx for all my fans and tend to track this anyway to check control function. There are some weird non-linear ones out there.

However, the Commander Pro has spoiled me a bit. It's control curves are RPM based and you can hook different fans up to the same curve and they will all run at exactly the specified RPM at temperature X. This means I can use the same control curve for any of my fans. I don't know what the Platinum does for control, but it sounds like it is % only like my Pro series. So we are back to the Commander Pro being a rather useful little device, with or without RGB. Not sure how important this is to you, but it would put all connected fans into the iCUE desktop control.

Yeah, such RPM/Temperature curves is what I'd love to have on the H115i.

I actually had the Commander Pro for a day, but gave it back after it kept disconnecting all Corsair devices every couple of seconds. Then again, it seems like it wasn't the Commander Pro's fault but iCue's as the disconnects are going on without the CoPro as well when the latest version iCue is running, especially when Steam is running as well (I need to try and get my hands on an older iCue version to see if an earlier one doesn't pose that issue).

Also, the Commander Pro was too big to fit neatly into my case and I had to stuff it into it really hard in between the power supply cables as there was no large enough flat surface in the back I could stick it to, which was also a reason why I returned it to the store as it wasn't cheap and over my budget anyway. I also didn't like that the CoPro's USB cable was hardwired while the Node and H115i use Mini/Micro USB connectors respectively.

And no, controlling the other fans wasn't really valuable for me since I run all the case fans at full blast all the time (1200/1600RPM respectively) as that produces acceptable noise levels under my desk. I just want to make sure the four fans on the H115i RGB Pro are running at around 1500-1600RPM until a certain temperature is reached and then ramp up to 2000RPM when the CPU gets really taxed a lot and the temperatures reach "dangerous" levels to keep things "safe".

The Node and the H115i actually only need a single USB port, even though they consume a full header with two ports. The CoPro needs both ports - if they had them as separate, it would increase the size and you'd have two connectors. That's why it's hard-wired.
Makes sense. Thank you for the insight!

I agree. I am setting up a push pull on an H100i and trying to match fan rpms based on coolant temp is not easy. The H100i runs on 100% fans speed and has more programmable nodes compared to a regular fan plugged into the Commander Pro. Trying to correlate this on 2 different fan curves (one for gaming and one for heavy use) is a PIA for sure.

Archived