Corsair Community

H150i Pro Balanced vs Performance Mode No Diff in muy setup

ningunos2010

Hello everyone, I have currently configured the H150i Pro in performance mode without noticing just any difference with respect to the balanced mode.

A maximum load making the benchmark wprime with balanced mode I get a temperature of 64 º C, when I put the performance mode and rerun the benchmark wprime temperature ranges from 63 º-64 º C so I see hardly difference.

I'm pretty overwhelmed because I think I have a problem with the H150i Pro.

Could you help me?

Thanks a lot.

Why do you think that you have a problem? You won't see much, if any, difference between balanced and performance mode, especially one CPU temps. The larger difference would be in the coolant temperature, how quickly it rises and how quickly it falls.

Are you looking at coolant temp?

Nope, this just makes you like everyone else using the coolers who report the same thing. My results are the same between 2100 and 2900 rpm on a H115i Pro mounted to a 8700K delid at 5.0/1.30v. There is nothing wrong with the cooler, pump speed just isn't the limiting factor on AIO coolers. The hose runs are short, the radiators not overly complex, and the same for the CPU block. In multi-component cooling systems, pump head speed (and pressure) becomes a more relevant figure. However, just as food for thought, I also have a D5 based model pump that powers my GPU only Titan X(P) full water block. It's a 280mm radiator, with relatively short hose runs. At my settings, I will see loads of 350W on some games. Even with that amount of wattage and relatively low max fan speeds (1000 rpm), I do not see a meaningful decrease in temperature by jacking up my pump speed. Going from 2000 where I normal run to 4000 will decrease GPU coolant temp by 2C. Not exactly a glorious return for doubling the pump speed and it is more than audible at 4K. It is likely only someone running a really high core count (12-20) is going to see any difference between balanced and extreme. You probably need more than 225W on the CPU before there is going to be something to see. I don't know about your pump, but I can most certainly hear the extreme mode when at the desktop, whereas the balanced is undetectable at 36 inches. Since you have to manually engage the mode, it is hardly worth bothering with. Set to balanced and forget about it.

However, several users have reported back clear differences when running the Quiet 1100 rpm mode. Now, if you are 30C under TJ Max, +2-4C really doesn't matter, but it does seem the lowest speed does show some normal use differences. So once again, if the Balanced setting is quiet enough, it probably isn't worth changing as you cycle between low and high work loads.

Okay, thanks for your replies, but i have tested with wprime 1024M benchmark at 12 threads setting and CPU raised to 97Cº and coolant temperature is above 40ºC.

It is normal? Because i think it's an elevated temperature for the CPU.

Thank you.

Okay, thanks for your replies, but i have tested with wprime 1024M benchmark at 12 threads setting and CPU raised to 97Cº and coolant temperature is above 40ºC.

It is normal? Because i think it's an elevated temperature for the CPU.

Thank you.

As another poster indicated, what's the ambient temperature? Your coolant really shouldn't get that high. If your cooler is set to exhaust, this could be an indication that the case internal temperature is getting too high. This is an airflow issue and one that we've seen here several times.

That said ... a comment on Prime is also in order - Prime95 uses AVX extensions pretty heavily. This blasts LOADS of heat on the CPU, much more than you would do in ANYTHING that 99.999999% of users would ever do to their machine. It's absurdly brutal. Other stress tests are better representations of the actual performance and proper cooling.

What benchmark and for how long?

What was your starting coolant temperature? How quickly did it rise? Once you stopped the benchmark, how quickly did it fall?

Does the benchmark stress the GPU as well?

If your cooler is configured as exhaust, what is your internal case temperature (it will be higher than ambient)?

This is starting to look like a case heat management issue. I don't see any real problem with the coolant/Max CPU temp delta on the CPU-Z bench. The more intriguing value is the 35C idle coolant temp versus a 27-28C room temp. That is within the general tolerance of 4-7C I normally quote to people, but I am very familiar with the 8700K and in combination with my H115i PRO, my coolant delta is normally more like +3-4C. Even when it is irritatingly hot like today, I am idling at 28.0C coolant in a 25.2C room.

I think the next step might be to make a comparison between your cold boot/wake coolant to room temp ratio and what's it is like late in the day. The next time you boot up or wake from sleep, take note of the room and coolant temp, then wait about 10-15 min to see where it levels off. Any kind of pump or cooling system issue is usually readily apparent in that state. If that ratio is low compared to the 27/35C one above, that would suggest the case is retaining some extra heat during up time. That may or may not be solvable. Sometimes it is just hot in the Summer.

Hi, to all, thank you for your replies, problem is solved, now at start CPU is over 33Cº and in the same benchmark as in my previous post,temp is now 66Cº, so the problem is solved and it's problem of this 8700k's that are hot stuff.

Thank you and sorry for my poor skills in modern hardware.

Glad to hear that you are sorted ... can you share the details of what solved the issue so that others may also learn from your experience?

And no worries ... we've all had a learning curve at one time on another when upgrading to the 'Lake' processors. They do have their own quirks.

Archived