Corsair Community

H150i pro fan loud?

evry1lovej

With my set up I have 2 LL 120 on top and one in back. I used stock 570x fans to attach in front of radiator and mount it in front. I try changing them fan speed. The fan is constantly steady but loud enough to sleep comfortably. You can hear it. What do you guys think.

Presumably this means you connected the 3 pin DC motor SP120-RGB fans that came with the case to the 4 pin PWM fan controller of the H150i. This will always result in a maximum fan speed. DC motors are controlled by altering the voltage from 5-12v. PWM fans always operate at 12v but control speed by sending a pulse signal down the line. Any 3 pin fan always will run at 100% when connected to a PWM controller.

Presumably this means you connected the 3 pin DC motor SP120-RGB fans that came with the case to the 4 pin PWM fan controller of the H150i. This will always result in a maximum fan speed. DC motors are controlled by altering the voltage from 5-12v. PWM fans always operate at 12v but control speed by sending a pulse signal down the line. Any 3 pin fan always will run at 100% when connected to a PWM controller.

What should I do? get another set of the LL 120?s

Immediate Action: take the SP120-RGB fan power cables off the H150i and connect them to the motherboard. This will give you control back. The next challenge is finding an appropriate control variable. I have no idea what board you have. Some have a thermistor sensor register that will let you run a 10K thermistor wire to the back of the radiator and get an exhaust air temp. That is a good control source. However, in the fix it now category, just pick something that is predictable and probably not CPU temp, although it will work if needed.

You don't need the fans to be responsive to CPU temp. The cooler is more like a waste heat transport device. As long as the fans keep moving, the heat won't build up enough to overly affect the CPU temps. Most coolant temperature changes are single digit and thus the effect on CPU temp is single digit as well. So if you can figure something out that will keep the fans quiet when the PC is idle and moderate speed when you are playing/working, that's all you need. The hyper-accurate single digit temp control isn't really necessary. Maybe your board has a VRM temp sensor as a control choice. That might work. So might PCH/chipset temp. Very board specific options. The other thing is on a 570x the H150i is your front intake and probably only intake source. Rather than be CPU reactive, you need these fans to run at a moderate pace most of the time regardless. If you can't find any options that work, setting a fixed or effectively fixed speed in the BIOS for 1000 rpm would not be the end of the world. You can't overheat at that level, it will supply air, it won't be too loud.

Lighting - Do you still have the thumb remote connected to the SP120 RGB Lighting Hub? (the little six port flat head connector box). Frankly, I don't know if the SP have an off, but disconnecting the SATA power supply from the RGB hub will certainly do it. Not something you really want to do daily, although I am not sure why you can't power it down at night. Regardless, that is where you are at. The LL fans should be on a separate RGB Lighting Hub with a separate SATA power line. Don't mess with that. LL fans can be turned off in iCUE by setting a static/solid color to 0,0,0 black and applying it to the top layer of lighting. That can be toggled on/off as needed.

Long Term solutions - Since you are already half way there, the clear long term solution is to dump the SP120-RGB and pick up 3 more LL120 singles. That puts everything on the same Lighting Node Pro, the fans will sequence and act as one unit, they are PWM and will work from the motherboard or H150i fan controller, and they can be toggled dark in a few seconds. Solves all the issues. You already have a Lighting Node Pro and RGB Lighting Hub (presumably), so you would only need three LL120 singles. Those have recently dropped in price, so the additional cost is not quite so bad.

*You could also swap the placements of the SP and LL fans, with the LL now on the radiator and H150i controller. They are PWM and will work. SP on the motherboard for power/control. They will work. The lighting wires would not need to be re-wired, but your location switches so that might be unavoidable. Still need to 2 RGB Hubs, one LNP, one thumb remote. I would favor the LL120 x 6 plan, but this is viable.

Archived