Corsair Community

K95 RGB Platinum some keys got stuck on colors

abhi8492i

Hello All,

This is my first post here,and I think its unfortunate that my first post is about an annoying problem.

Bought this K95 RGB platinum about 2 months ago. The latest available version of Cue 2 then,was 2.15.83. Installed that ,the keyboard ran fine until a week ago i noticed some LEDs on keys are not lighting up properly.

specifically, caps lock,left shift, z , x , c on the left ; and on the right; right alt,win key,right ctrl,right shift,backspace,assignment (=/+ key), delete,end,page down. they all had slightly pinkish/red color stuck on them no matter what profile/color i used.

Steps i have taken until today to corrct it (note : each change is followed by a restart as well):

1. try all available usb ports for keyboard one by one, 3.0/2.0, usb pass-through connected/disconnected. bios set to default options,usb over charge turned off.

2.delete all profiles from cue 2

3.uninstall/reinstall Cue 2.15.83

4.searched the forums, found about %appdata%, deleted all things from corsair folder there too.

4. checked for update on the website itself. (inside cue,it doesn't work, having me fooled for a week.),found cue ver. 2.16.87. repeated steps 1-4 numerous times.no joy.

5.searched some more,found about 'hold esc while connecting.' to restore default profiles.That did resolve the problems with left side keys [caps lock,left shift, z , x , c and right alt to some extent. all left keys lighting up normal now,except right alt in some specific situations,explained next.],but rights remained wrong.

a couple restarts later, right win key started to have serious troubles showing blue color, flickering also.rest of the right side faulty keys do show other colors but if I set anything resembling static bluish to all keys in cue 2 advance, their red/pinkish bias is pronounced. While right win key refuse to light up at all in blue. if I select deep blue for only right win key, 'then' right alt instead,lights up in blue,very slightly, almost an amber.further, if i select any color for any of the troubled group on right,other problematic keys lit up in very light red,also flicker slowly.

More research later, i found about something related to firmware update. hard reset if you will. i couldn't found any firmware file on the latest. but i did find a 32.6 kb zip file titled K95platinum.zip on a linux app git page. I think its the same one i need, if the discussion that followed there was any indication and what anandtech said about EEPROM size used in it. but i am holding onto that.worried it might brick my keyboard for good.

but my patience is really starting to strain.

even then, i want to try all DIY options first. I'd really rather not send it for lengthy RMA procedures. because I love the keyboard. i use it mainly for typing and macros there are a godsend really. in older games like counter strike,it really helps too. so please can anyone help me out here? tell me what am i missing here? or what i should try next?

Thank You for the long read and any help is deeply appreciated.

IMAG0169.thumb.jpg.6e5d1ad4676ac2040f6958be361664f5.jpg

I am having similar issues with my refurbed K 95 (not surprisingly i might suspect). It is not oppressive, but I get phantom lighting effects that seem semi random. They are not that bad, but I can't get rid of them easily, I tried the hold esc when plugging in, I got a crazy green occasional mix in the default red and white array, but then back to normal. Get a similar effect that is atypical when i force a firmware update.

I suspect if I clean reinstall and start from scratch with new profiles I may or may not have that problem, but I am not sure it is worth it effort wise. I would recommend uninstalling, rebooting with a different keyboard, esc plugging, reinstalling? Might work for you. Reinstalling the firmware didn't help me either, so I am under the impression a controller in the board is borked under certain conditions as it does not occur in every profile.

• 2 weeks later...
I am having similar issues with my refurbed K 95 (not surprisingly i might suspect). It is not oppressive, but I get phantom lighting effects that seem semi random. They are not that bad, but I can't get rid of them easily, I tried the hold esc when plugging in, I got a crazy green occasional mix in the default red and white array, but then back to normal. Get a similar effect that is atypical when i force a firmware update.

I suspect if I clean reinstall and start from scratch with new profiles I may or may not have that problem, but I am not sure it is worth it effort wise. I would recommend uninstalling, rebooting with a different keyboard, esc plugging, reinstalling? Might work for you. Reinstalling the firmware didn't help me either, so I am under the impression a controller in the board is borked under certain conditions as it does not occur in every profile.

hey thanks for the insight. Mine is a new one,was sealed pack. So i don't think yours being refurbished is the sole reason responsible for at least this problem.

i already deleted all profiles from inside cue and %appdata% folder.it didnt work.

secondly,i checked the faq .they added a new procedure for K95 RGB Platinum.

Please Note: For the K95 RGB Platinum, this process is slightly different:

Unplug the keyboard

With the keyboard unplugged, hold down the ESC key.

While holding down the ESC key, plug the keyboard back into the computer.

Hold the key down until the keyboard begins to flash.

Unplug the keyboard and plug it back in.

I tried that,didn't work for me,but for you it just might,no harm in checking.

good luck.

thank you I tired what you said regarding the plat and a couple other things and then disabled 16.7 Million color mode per inheritance suggestion in the other forum and after re-saving the profiles to memory on my refurb under the squiggly icon, it seems to be working although I have been unable to save my third profile for some reason, (but that doesn't matter to me). Hope it stays good.

NEW Problem.

1. I can't seem to play media (VLC / window media player).as soon as I double click on any file, it starts for a second then stops. If I disconnect the keyboard the files play fine. This seems to be a random occurrence.

2. Clicking mouse over folders icon on windows Taskbar make the open window flash, but doesn't let me choose where to go, in any specific window. For example if C and D drives are open, and I click on folder icon on Taskbar, both windows will flash just over the folder icon but I can't go to either C or D drive. Alt+Tab doesn't work either. Same problem, open windows flash then disappear. Putting keyboard in bios mode (F1+Win lock) resolves that problem, as well as disconnecting it. So it's directly related to keyboard

thank you I tired what you said regarding the plat and a couple other things and then disabled 16.7 Million color mode per inheritance suggestion in the other forum and after re-saving the profiles to memory on my refurb under the squiggly icon, it seems to be working although I have been unable to save my third profile for some reason, (but that doesn't matter to me). Hope it stays good.

Well I'm glad it worked for you, but can you please tell me, where exactly is this 16.7M mode in cue 2? That option, I thought was in cue 1 and K95P, doesn't support cue 1, or so I heard.

I'd like to try that also.

it is under the gear icon at the top next to the advanced button

select that, once it goes yellow it pops up a new screen, under the keyboard, you will see a check box at the bottom that says enable 16.8M color mode and ensure it is deselected, it may help.

I think it is on older hardware doing some sort of "interstitial"-ing and it probably doesn't like it.

I have noticed no discernible color difference toggling it on and off on either keyboard on different systems

it is under the gear icon at the top next to the advanced button

select that, once it goes yellow it pops up a new screen, under the keyboard, you will see a check box at the bottom that says enable 16.8M color mode and ensure it is deselected, it may help.

I think it is on older hardware doing some sort of "interstitial"-ing and it probably doesn't like it.

I have noticed no discernible color difference toggling it on and off on either keyboard on different systems

Looks like I'm having none of it. We are talking about same keyboard, aren't we? K95 RGB Platinum?

IMAG0176.thumb.jpg.0ccbfcd35d4ba4bf89d349c3cf58971f.jpg

@abhi8492i

Did you create a support ticket with Corsair?

The 16.8M colour mode is only present on the first generation RGB peripherals (K70/95 RGB).

Sorry for the late reply, been busy a little lately.

Yes I did raise a support ticket request, and I was told to contact Indiaservice@corsair.com. For RMA within my country. But I wanted that firmware update process first. The mentioned link is an email ID. And I was confused that if I contact them, it might initiate an RMA request automatically without ever giving me a chance to update the firmware.

Am I being too stupid here?

• 3 months later...

After some weird hassles, like the local branch of service center (of kaizen infoserve, Indian partners for Servicing corsair products) refusing to accept the "Corsair Keyboards" and telling me to directly courier it to Bangalore, which, thankfully, I didn't have to do ultimately, because of intervention by Kaizen Bangalore head office; I did manage to leave the keyboard at the local branch.

That was a week ago 04/01/2017.

I was told by local service branch that I shouldn't get worried before 15 days. That was the time frame of replacement reaching here.

I've waited longer, (which my last post on this thread will clearly suggest) so another 15 days is no big deal for me. I just want to know is this normal behavior for Indian customers or just my all round bad luck?

I also didn't get a RMA number immediately, (nor afterwards). all I got was a "Material challan receipt" (which is like a courier receipt if its content is any indication), at the local branch. the RMA number was, I think, promised to be emailed. Should I call Bangalore office again to check for the update on my RMA?

I didn't because frankly, I was pissed. Shouldn't they email me once the keyboard reaches them, with RMA number and corresponding updates? they did ask my email at the local branch office.

Archived