Corsair Community

K70 RGB Windows Key Lock Color When PC is Locked

I just got my K70 RGB today and I love it, except for one thing. I created a custom profile to make all the keys green and right clicked on the Brightness button and the Windows Key Lock button, went to indicator and changed the colors. I then saved the profile to the board and all was good. Later I locked my PC with the Windows Key and L and noticed that while all the keys stayed green, the Windows Lock button and Brightness button both changed to white.

Upon further investigation I realized that not only can you set the indicator color but you can also click the Brightness and Windows Lock button and set the color like you would with a normal key even though it doesn't visibly update (I only noticed because the chip icon for the profile updated showing that it was no longer the same as the one stored on the board). I did this for both, resulting in both keys being green on the lock screen. Great! That is, until I pressed the Windows Lock button and it changed to pink. I immediately knew that it was simply inverting the color for the other state. The Brightness button works fine because it simply adjusts the brightness of whatever color it is set to.

In the end I've had to compromise and simply set both to white (which means they match the indicator LEDs next to them so they don't really look out of place). Setting the Windows Lock button to black results in the key inverting to white when on, on the lock screen.

Basically, the board needs to be able to store both colors for the Windows Lock button. The indicator colors work fine when you are logged in, but they aren't stored on the board, so when the PC is locked, they don't work. I'm sure it's possible with a pretty minor firmware update.

This happens for the top row buttons even in the K95 RGB. I am sure it was a way to compress color data so it can fit on th onboard storage.

Keep in mind that when you store a lighting profile to device memory, it only saves the background colors. It save no lighting effect information. No indicators, no gradients... Just the static light information.

Since the onboard memory cannot save indicators, and the lock is supposed to be an indicator, the keyboard makes up a second color to use (namely the inverse of the original color) to save space for other information. The mode buttons and brightness indicatior are treated similarly.

This happens for the top row buttons even in the K95 RGB. I am sure it was a way to compress color data so it can fit on th onboard storage.

Keep in mind that when you store a lighting profile to device memory, it only saves the background colors. It save no lighting effect information. No indicators, no gradients... Just the static light information.

Since the onboard memory cannot save indicators, and the lock is supposed to be an indicator, the keyboard makes up a second color to use (namely the inverse of the original color) to save space for other information. The mode buttons and brightness indicatior are treated similarly.

Yes, this is exactly what I said. I doubt that any compression would be needed. I took a look at the profile XML document that gets saved and it would be as simple as adding one more line to the document for the off state. I'm sure an extra line wouldn't put the file size over the memory limit on the board.

Yes, this is exactly what I said. I doubt that any compression would be needed. I took a look at the profile XML document that gets saved and it would be as simple as adding one more line to the document for the off state. I'm sure an extra line wouldn't put the file size over the memory limit on the board.

I would think the hard part of fixing the indicators on onboard storage is that you or I could place an indicator anywhere. If I were in charge of fixing this, I would suggest a separate "onboard profile" creator that locks the keyboard down to what is actually possible on the hardware.

Archived