Corsair Community

Question about HX850I Fan!

Eiden

Hi all,

I've recently purchased the Corsair HX850I and it runs beautifully but upon checking the fan speed while under load it stays at 0 rpm and the PSU runs imo rather hot at 50-60c.

When i change the fan to fixed in Corsair link it starts spinning and cooling the psu... is there something wrong? or is there something i need to do in order for it to start cooling automaticly?

btw: My system under load pulls 300-400w

Hope someone can help me :) greetz

• Corsair Employee

He has Link installed. That's how he turned the fan on manually. ;):

60°C isn't very hot for an internal PSU temperature. When a PSU, like the HXi, is rated at 50°C, they're talking about the ambient temperature the PSU installed within, not the temperature inside the PSU itself. Also, the fan controller uses an algorithm of load, temperature and time. So if the PSU is "hot" but not under load, the fan still isn't going to turn on.

Max TDP on a 4790K is only 88W. GTX970 is only 140W. So if you take that into consideration with a 100W overhead for your other components, you're only looking at 328W under full load. You're simply not stressing the PSU out enough to make the fan spin up.

In Link, what does it say your power is when running "under load"?

hi thanks for the replys, when i run prime95 + 3dmark firestrike at the same time my system load gets uto 480w max but averages around 430-450.

The fan of the psu does not spin up automaticly at these loads, i let the psu get to 50c while under this load and it did nothing.

When i turn the fan on at 40% rpm it cools the psu down to 25-26c while under this load.

• Corsair Employee

Chilly!

That's why the fan's not running.

Like I said, the fan controller uses an algorithm of load, temperature and time. It's so cold and your load is only about 55 to 60% of the PSU's capability, it's not going to turn on.

• 11 months later...
does anyone know what the ambient temperature has to be for the 850i to start spinning? so far my computer is idle just on desktop and the fan is spinning 500rpm...the room temperate is 86f (30c)...the hx850i temp is 33c in corsair link

• Corsair Employee

Wow. You bumped a one year old thread.

Are you saying the fan IS spinning at 500 RPM? If so, it sounds like it already started.

Or are you asking what temp it should stop spinning?

Or are you asking what temp is should start spinning faster at?

no sorry what im asking is what does the temperature of the psu have to be for the fans to kick in? my ac just went out and its sweltering hot here and i just noticed the fans spin on my hx850i....all other times when my room was between 70-75f the fans never came on even under full load while gaming.

• Corsair Employee

It's hard to say because the temperature reported isn't the temperature that controls the fan. The temperature you're seeing in Link comes from a thermistor located close to the fan. The fan speed is controlled by a thermistor on the SR heatsink. Furthermore, temperature isn't the only variable used in the equation for when to turn the fan on and at what speed the fan should run. It uses a combination of load and fan speed.

So now I will ask the question: Why do you want to know? Are you afraid the fan doesn't work? Does the fan work if you use the fan test button?

• 8 months later...
It's hard to say because the temperature reported isn't the temperature that controls the fan. The temperature you're seeing in Link comes from a thermistor located close to the fan. The fan speed is controlled by a thermistor on the SR heatsink.

I know the PWM controller reports two temperatures and wonder is it the one link does not report that controls the fan?

Given what you have said I feel CL should report both of the HXi + RMi and all 3 of the AXi temperatures.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25199&stc=1&d=1463329471

HX1000i.thumb.png.295a1dd435dde767c55fea7d54e80b3f.png

Archived