Corsair Community

HS1 (USB) making "sparking" noise.

Crossmark

Hi, I have had my HS1 headset for maybe a week, and one thing that I have noticed is that when I'm on youtube I'll get a weird sparking like sound sometimes. It happens mostly on youtube, but sometimes randomly in game or listening to music.Tried to set down from 7.1 to headset mode, no difference. Installed the files that followed, but nothing more. Did not know what to download.

Thanks for any help.

I am willing to bet that it is a DPC issue. See the HS1 being a USB device, tries to send and receive updates every millisecond. When the delay on the system polling the USB device is greater than a millisecond you hear tiny little popping sounds as a side effect of the DAC re-synchronizing the sound.

Here is what I suggest. I have already been through some of this so I offer to help with what I can. We need to know what the DPC latency is. Run this program and leave it running and just play around with the system and see what causes it to go crazy high.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

I am pretty confidant that the GPU in your system is in a higher run mode than normal when you have a youtube site open. And despite everything that seems to make sense, the GPU and it's horrible drivers is often the problem with abnormally high DPC latency.

Now try unplugging them and plug them into another USB port and try again. Is it different? If not then we can safely move on. If it is and it solves it then great, but I suspect there will be a bit more work required to get the optimal DPC latencies.

I suggest going into your device manager and disabling any additional sound devices and especially any unused devices. Then again try it and see. I know it sounds bad, but DPC is a sad legacy of USB.

Archived