Corsair Community

John Carmack says PC isnt the leading platform for gaming

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/3215/article/pc-is-not-leading-platform-for-games-says-john-carmack/

And so I will never buy another ID game ever again.

PC gamers are the ones who supported ID software for all these years and he sells out to the console world and turns his back on PC gamers. He's just making excuses for his epic failure on the game Rage.

"That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version. A high end PC is nearly 10 times as powerful as a console, and we could unquestionably provide a better experience if we chose that as our design point and we were able to expend the same amount of resources on it. Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on. A game built with a tenth the resources on a platform 10 times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases."

Sounds like he's saying nowadays that he believes more people game on consoles rather than PCs, and that you get quality out of development rather than resources.

Think about it this way: A console is a known system. You know exactly how much CPU / GPU / memory / etc the system has and what you can do with it. A PC's variables are wide and varied, and largely unknown and as such you have to code for the most common denominator. Not to mention a console is much cheaper, and you can trade in the games / give them to others (not to mention that console games don't have to be installed in most cases).

On one hand, the driver issues are both not surprising, but at the same time inexcusable. From the screenshots I've seen, and the reviews of game play, I'm glad I didn't pick up my copy.

He didn't turn his back on PC gamers as Rage came out for the PC. He's just stating his opinion.

• 2 months later...
I think he hit on the major issues affecting PC gaming. You can't have something vary from house to house and expect releases to go smoothly and for that reason consoles are much more appropriate for "mass market" gaming. Developers can fine tune every aspect of the game, which in turn leaves consumers much more happy. Not everyone has the knowledge to tinker with drivers and settings all day just to game. PC gaming is a niche and always will be.

I used to be a console gamer years ago, but I see no reason to put money into console gaming these days.

Most of the time the PC versions of games are cheaper, and a computer is useful for a lot more things. I have my PC hooked up to my TV and have a xbox 360 controller for every once in a while when I feel like using that for some games. IMO, a PC is a console with good graphics. PS3 and 360 are VERY outdated now, they've been out for what, 5 or 6 years? Even mid-range computers can have better graphics than that. A high end gaming machine makes a console's graphics look like a joke, I can't even bare console graphics anymore. I DEFINITELY can't bare playing a first person shooter with a controller. It's way too frustrating.

Carmack did not say anything wrong. id is a business and they have to consider the bottom line and ROI. They are catering to the largest market share. He is not abandoning the PC- id games still come out on PC. Piracy is also a massive issue on PC I believe more so than on consoles which robs game devs of well deserved earnings. They have to survive for the industry to thrive...

If you take a company like Valve- they are loaded with money thanks to Steam. They could not release any games, and still be very rich. Which puts them in a privileged position- they cater to the PC and they take as long as they want on their games.

I love PC gaming but as the technocog says it is niche. It's great for guys like us who like reading and learning about technology, making buying decisions, putting together a customized machine, overclocking it, and tweaking the actual games themselves. We also do almost all out troubleshooting + R&D ourselves- which has to be done on the PC from time to time. Most people do not have the patience or the inclination for this...

Despite what people have been predicting for over ten years PC gaming is not going to die. It may not be as mainstream as it was in 1992 but as long as their are PCs someone will make games for them.

People have been pirating console games for over a decade though. It's just a smidge harder to do on a console than it is on a computer.

Definitely. And when was the last time somebody pirated a Valve game? I know me and all my friends always buy valve games at the very least. They are usually fairly priced (at least, not 60 bucks), and steam is an excellent system to deliver content.

In order to beat piracy, you have to provide a better service than the pirates at a fair price. Gabe has said this many times.

Archived