Corsair Community

question regarding ram upgrade

Illijixz

hello,i would like to upgrade my current ram setup "corsair vengeance lpx ddr 4 2400mhz 4gb x2" to if possible 12gb or 16gb.

i have 2 more emtpy ram stick slots on my motherboard "gigabyte ga z170 hd3p" however as i was searching on the web everyone tells different things and im confused as hell

can i just buy and stick this CORSAIR Vengeance Lpx 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Pc Ram CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R next to my existing rams and be done with it for 16gb ram? for cost and performance efficiency.

if you have extra information i would appreciate being tutored. thanks

No, that would not be the recommended path. How memory modules behave is tied to their physical properties and it is preferential to use matched kits made from the same batch of material. There is no guarantee two different kits of the exact same brand and model come from the same source. Sometimes you get lucky and it works anyway. More often it requires careful tweaking of the values. Regardless, this is not something you really want to be doing unless you are prepared to spend the time trying to make it work. Memory training is tedious stuff and more difficult than simple overclocking.

In your specific case, the odds really are stacked against you. Combining two identical kits is one thing, but mixing different size modules (4+4+8) is trouble. There is a definite chance it may never work, no matter how skilled you are. Your board is dual channel, so if you want 16GB total, you should be looking at 2x8GB kits in your desired speed. I know it seems like a rip off, but system crashes from memory errors can be a horrible experience and can be very difficult to pin down. It is definitely an area where you want reliability and not risk.

Technically, 2x8 is easier for the memory controller to handle compared to 4x4, but at 2400 that should not be an issue. That is more important when really pushing the limits.

However, even if you find the exact make and model of the memory you have now, it may not be manufactured from the same source. These things change over time and semi-conductor material is a special commodity. There is no guarantee it will work at 4x4. If you decide to go this path anyway, make sure you buy from someplace with friendly return options. Try to match timings and version number and the later is often hard to find on the product.

And back up your C: drive before trying to run the combined kits. Memory errors can go badly and force an OS re-install.

Archived