Corsair Community

Corsair x32 problems

ewarwoowar

So i purchased a xtreme series 32 gb SSD just because i like speed :laughing:

But ever since i've got it i've had problems with speed issues and now i have a big issue(i think)

So i did a crystaldisk benchmark and the figures all came out below 100mb/s which is VERY slow for an ssd so i decided to test out on hdtune and i got pretty bad degraded figures that started out at 190mb/s then bam was below 100 again then the minimum became 32mb/s so i was like, seriously this can't be right can it?

So i clicked on health check on hd tune and i got this error:

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/ewarwoowar1/Untitled-3.png

So i changed the cable and nothing happened.

I then got crystal disk info and this is what it says.

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/ewarwoowar1/asd.png

91% health and i've only had it like less than a month and these things are meant to last yearsssss :(:

My pc spec is on my profile, I also did all the tweaks like disable superfetch, I minimized page file to 200mb and i delete my temp files regularly and disabled defrag, removes system restore. And it is also running on ahci controller.

If you need any more info i have no problem with hhelping out.

Last bit of info is i've always had problems with hard drives on my pc, when i first built this pc(it was my first build) i was noob/average pc learner and i bought a 5.4k 1tb seagate drive which is quite slow for a gaming pc and on that i had ALOT of stuttering on games. Games were rendered unplayable it was so bad so a friend told me about RAID0 which i then bought 2x320gb seagate 7200.12s for raid0 which removed most stuttering but not completely and now i'm on SSD which i was told practically removes stuttering which it doesn't for me :confused:

*edit* heres the sata control setup for my pc. first sata port is the SSD the port next to it is the 1tb storage then on the next is the dvd drive. Just incase you need that

Thank you in advance

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee
These programs are designed for spinning HDD and as such the information and testing they provide may or may not apply to a SSD Drive. If the system is stable and running properly there is nothing to worry about. Please run ATTO and post a screen shot.

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest using Accronis to make and image of the drive (if you are using Windows) then use Parted magic to Wipe the drive under tools select Erase Disk and Secure Erase and then, install the drive on the system you will be using it as a second HDD and format it with the QUICK Option Only and 4k Allocation then test it with Atto again to be sure its running properly then delete the partition and image the drive back to its original image and you are done.

You need to get Parted Magic, create a boot cd. Disconnect the SATA cable from your x32 during boot. After GParted has completed booting re-connect the SATA cable to your drive and use system tools, erase, secure erase and erase the drive. Normal erase routines do not work on SSDs, they actually make them alot worse.

Your performance numbers are about the same as mine were after I tried some of those tools. All benchmarking tools also have a footprint and with repeated running pulls your performance down (ATTO is about 4 GB for example). Secure Erase is the only tool that I have found that will put my x32 back to virgin full performance state. I also use Acronis to create an image of the drive first, and then after secure erasing it I restore the image and my drive is back to top performance.

Again, you can not use other erase tools, or formating tools. They do not work on SSDs. They make the drives perform a lot worse.

BTW- gangsta, no one will take you serious on any tech forum attempting to type gansta speak. It actually sounds kinda silly....

• Corsair Employee

Randy and I are saying the same thing just different wording.

1. You will need an image of the current drive, if you do not want to re-install again, I would suggest Accronis.

2. Then you will want to wipe the drive using Gparted, or Parted Magic or HHD Erase. I suggested Parted magic because it is easier to use and GUI based.

3. Then with the drive installed in that system as a second drive Format it with the QUICK Option ONLY and set the allocation to 4096. The test the drive with ATTO the performance should be about 210 MB/s sequential read and 100 MB/s sequential write .

4. If its working properly delete the partition and use Accronis to restore the image, check it with ATTO and you should have it restored to full performance.

I would suggest using Accronis to make and image of the drive (if you are using Windows) then use Parted magic to Wipe the drive under tools select Erase Disk and Secure Erase and then, install the drive on the system you will be using it as a second HDD and format it with the QUICK Option Only and 4k Allocation then test it with Atto again to be sure its running properly then delete the partition and image the drive back to its original image and you are done.

So, no I think he is saying to set up a new windows on a differernt HD then use that new windows to boot from and then wipe/benchmark your SSD from there.

Make sure you take an image of your SSD to start the process with and then later to end back with that same image on the recently and freshly wiped SSD, setup as you boot drive again.....................so, yes you will have windows on the ssd again yessy?

What I do is have my acronis image on my secondary drive, boot off the Parted magic cd with the SATA cable unattached from my x32. When the boot is fully completed I re-attach the SATA cable, and secure erase the drive.

I then reboot with the Acronis CD (have to go into bios and make sure that the x32 is my first hard drive (boot) drive since booting with it unattached moves it to last in the list of hard drives). From the Acronis boot disk I can restore the drive. I have never had to quick format the drive because the secure erase has essentially done this for me.

After Acronis has finished it's restore I reboot my machine and I am back to exactly as I was when I ran the image, except my x32 is now back to full performance.

I never have done a quick format because that would require booting into Windows and my x32 sole purpose is to be my boot/OS drive. There is no real reason to quick format unless you want to change the allocation size, and I personnally believe, especially with an x32, that there is no reason to do this. Windows 7 handles this very nicely on it's own.

Posting from pmagic boot disc :)

I did a secure erase using the programme called erase disc in system tools.

Thats the right way yes?

Now what i have to do is now shut down and boot from accronis disk and restore my image stored on the storage internal hdd and then boot back into original windows and check speeds with atto?

One of the options is secure erase... that is very important, it has to be secure erase not any other type of erase from the menu.

You can run ATTO if you want, just keep in mind that it uses about 4 GB of your drive to run the ATTO test. Maybe run it once and verify that the speed is back. I would probably repeat the proceedure after I had verified that it all worked. Other wise 4 Gb extra space has now been used and on a 32 GB drive this 4 GB is precious!

The OS makes the ATTO come out a little bit lower, basically if you are peaking at about 190-195 read and 95 or so write you are doing good. The smaller drives are not quite as fast as the larger ones.

so do i want to run atto through partedmagic boot disc?

also when i try recover image on accronis boot disk it doesn't let me recover it to the ssd only the storage device i have it on.

is there any special way to do it?

do i have to make a partition for it to go on?

And where abouts do i do the quick format if i were to do it?

As far as I know the only way to get quick format is by booting into windows, presumablly from another drive. Not something that I do or feel is neccessary. From teh Acronis boot disk I can recover my x32. I just browse to the backup image on my other hard drive and rstore the image. One of the steps is choosing where to restore it. I restore it to the SSD. The image that I originally created is the entire disk (not a back up of the files, but a back up of the disk). Just make sure to have the sector by sector unchecked when you create you disk image, other wise it will restore it as it was, bad performance and all.

From my understanding, ATTO would run after you have restored your disk, and boot off it into windows. Therefore it would eat up 4 GB of your freshly restored clean drive :)....

Archived