Corsair Community

Problem: 8AN-SLI Dlx and TWINX2048-3200C2

Rhumba

I'm having a problem I've been struggling with for a week now and I'm not sure how to proceed. I received the parts for a new PC about a week ago and put things together. The specifics of the build are:

Asus A8N-SLI Dlx

Asus En6600TD/256 Nvidia PCI Express card

AMD 64 3800+

WD 10k 74gig WD740GD

Corsair Twinx2048-3200C2

Sony Dvd writer DRU720A

Basic Floppy.

Antec Case and is a 400 watt psu from Antec.

I started off trying to install Win XP x64. Had terrible problems and decided to go Regular Win XP 32 bit until I'm comfortable with the build.

The big problem I saw initially was all of my downloads being corrupted and some random reboots occasionally, it was also corrupting files I would try to move from another PC to this one. I've also installed all of the latest chipset and card drivers. I've also tried itterations of many of the more rescent versions and they all exhibites the same problem.

Eventually I figured out that the board was not handling the memory correctly. I used MEMTEST and received many mismatced pair errors. I then came to this board and followed the instuctions and set the board to the following. First i reset the board to the defaults before I started.

DDR Voltage [ 2.80V ] - Also tried 2.75V with no luck.

In DRAM Config:

Tcl : 2.5

Tras : 6T

Trcd: 3T

Trp: 3T

I left everything else at the default. I then ran Memtest and did not receive errors. I only let it run through 1 full time. Yay... I thought. I then went back in and reinstalled everything since I was not sure if anything had gotten corrupted from the other problems. I then started trying to download updates. It was better. But still every other download would become corrupt, meaning that the crc's would get off.

I then scoured the boards and saw someone mention that they had changed their mhz to 333 so I figured that I would give it a try. What do you know it fixed the problem, but seems slower.

As of yet, I've had no more issues running at 333 now. Been running that way roughly 8 hours.

But how do I get this fixed? I bought this assuming it would handle 400 but it does not appear that it does. I have a P4P800 board here with a pentium 3.2 on it. I'm not even sure if this memory is compatable with that board to test it there.

Memory Gurus. How should i proceed and as always, Thanks for your help.

I'm running the Microsoft one now, But i've tried many different versions. I've also tried the nvidia port and totally disabled the Marvell Yukon. Had the same problem.

PC only seems to work if i downgrade the memory to 333mhz.

Notes:

1.The Invidea firewall is a bit picky about being setup correctly but runs fine on my system with medium settings, high tends to fubar ftp downloads.

2. Your running close to full steam on that Antec supply, especially on an nf4 based board, and it is probably the source of your memory problems.

3. A useful link for this board (A8n-sli dlx), including bios settings on the first page:

http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38623/

1) I don't have the Nvidia firewall installed. Tried it both with and without.

2) I checked out the mobo check page and it did not show me close to the max yet. EDIT: I just ran this through again. I'm coming in right around 300. Why do you think it would be more than that?

3) I've looked through that page. Tried using all the bios settings on that page and it did not help.

Even at 333mhz I'm still hard locking up occasionally. I'm really beginning to think that I just got some bumm memory. From what I see, the P4P800 should have been able to at least post with this memory. And that has a larger power supply on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Was out of town for a few days.

I did one more test and am more convinced its the memory.

I pulled the memory from my other pc and put it into the new one. It is Corsair CMX512-3200c2 memory and its a twinx pair. I set it to 2.75v 2.5-3-3-6 1t. 400mhz.

I'm having no issues with that memory. I've run many downloads and they've not been corrupted. I also ran everquest pretty heavily for about an hour pretty heavy and have not had any lockups.

I'm just not sure what else to try with this new memory. Nothing I try seems to help. Memtest comes up clean, but downloads are corrupted at 400mhz no matter what settings i use, and even at 333mhz i lock up occasionally in everquest.

• Corsair Employee

Yes the PSU may or may not be the issue, but based on your config I would suggest you consider a newer bigger unit ASAP.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I tested the memory from my old pc, which I listed above at the same voltage as my new ram. The old ram is working great and I'm having no issues with it.

I'm curious as to why the PSU would be an issue with the new memory but not the old, since with the old I'm running great at 400mhz.

Does the old memory just take less power?

I have the exact same problems with two sets of TWINX2048-3200C2, one is used in a MSI NEO4 (NON SLI)mb with an Athlon X2-4400, and the other is used in an Asus A8N-SLI board with an Athlon X2-3800.

Both are fairly stable at stock speed at 2,75v with 2.5-3-3-6-1t timings - but they dont like high fsb at all - anything over 210fsb is unstable, they go to about 220 with loose timings in 2t mode.... Both mb's has the latest bios (1.9 for the MSI and 1012 for the Asus), the psu is a Fortron/Source 550w.

I thougt these chips were supposed to be high performance chips suitable for overclocking - even my old pair of 2x512 XXXXXXX cheapo ram goes higher with tighter timings!

Must be some problems with NForce4/Athlon X2?

• Corsair Employee

Ulvster

These new CPU's seem to be the limiting factor, but I would test the system one module at a time and set the timings to By SPD and set the voltage to 2.8 Volts and see what you can get. But remember you may have to set the HTT Freq at 3 or 4 as well as set or lock the PCI/AGP freq. some MB's do better at this than others.

Rhumba,

Let's get the modules replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived