Corsair Community

Duel channel trouble on Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe!

TriFire

Hi,

I have been having trouble with my new pc, trouble like random crashes in games, hard reboots etc. Some how i came across a thread that said it might be bad ram. Now here is when it starts to get interesting, i downloaded memtest and ran it for a couple of hours and got errors in test 7. Then i thought to remove one dim and see which one was faulty. It ran for 4 hours no trouble no errors, So i switch the other dim and put it in slot one, oh BTW the first yellow slot, it ran for 4 hours no errors. Now why does the errors only happen to me in duel channel??? I can run games all day with no crashes with a single dim but not 2.

Thank you

Corsair XMS Twin2X2048-6400 5-5-5-15 2T @1.9V

My specs

Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700

NOT OVERCLOCKED!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I've built this system recently:

Core 2 Duo 6700

P5N32-SLI SE Delux

Twin2x1024-6400 4-4-4-15 (4x512 in total)

SataII Raid (2x300Gig)

2 x EVGA GeForce 7950GX2 1024Mb (Quad GPU)

Initially I ran into big problems with the RAM, for some reason the MB kept setting my RAM to 1.8v. I only discovered it when I did some motherboard monitoring. Set the RAM to 1.9v and ran memtestv3.0 for 24hours (this is with 4 sticks of ram in duel channel) without problems. However if I let the motherboard set the voltage it did produce problems. Try forcing the voltage up to the corsair recommended 1.9v.

I've ran the RAM modules at the following settings for over 24 hours without a single error:

Voltage: 2.0v

Timing: 5-5-5-15-20

Freq: 833Mhz

This may be related or not but my system is still not stable. I think its the CPU core's but it would be a good idea to test this yourself. Basicly if I run only one instance of superpimod (CPU tester), I can run the test for more than a few hours but as soon as I use two of the tests I get "NON CONVERGANCE" within 10 seconds. Basiclly it seems if I use 100% of the CPU I get cpu errors. I've put this down to a bad chip and I'm awaiting a replacement but given all the problems I'm reading with this particular combination of hardware I'm wondering if this is a compatibility issue.

Any thoughts on this?

studio

I have a similar system to the original poster except I have an E6600 and am also using the Twin2X2048-6400 ram...I found that to get it stable I had to underclock the memory to 667.

Your motherboard compaibilty shows this as acceptable ram for this motherboard YET fails to state that it cannot be run at 800Mhz.!

What would be the best performing ram for this motherboard please?

ok i have 2x2048-6400c4

i put in one module in and ran memtest in all four slots with out an error

i put the second module in by itself and got errors instantly in all four slots

and my computer is running better with the one module than it did with two

i have allready called the supplier and will be sending these back for an exchange and will update you when i recieve the new ones

thx

thx ram guy

the supplier i bought them from has allready shipped me a new pair and i am sending the bad pair back today

if i still have problems i will send them to you for testing

i think it would be better to send them to you anyway because you could test a new set before returning them

the reseller wont be doing that

thank you

Well this is what I found on the ASUS website about this motherboard:-

Direct quote:--

"Dual channel memory architecture

4 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support max. 8GB DDR2 800/667/533 non-ECC memory"

I read it as "supporting DDR2 800 / 667 / 533"..Or am I reading it wrongly?

ok got my new memory

ddr 667 4-4-4-12-auto-t2 2.0v dual channel

ran i pass of memtest on each module in all four slots with no errors

ran i pass both modules dual channel with no errors

so far looks good

boots into windows ok and so far no unexpected reboots

will run memtest all night tonight and see how it goes

if all goes well will try overclocking tomorrow

thx

I'm having similar problems with my memory and this board.

I have a pair of CM2X1024-8500 installed and when running individually, or as a pair in single channel mode, they run perfectly at DDR800, and the system is rock solid.

Further to this as soon as I mount them in Dual channel mode, the system will hang within 5-10 minutes of running any games.

I'm currently running them at 400MHz (DDR800) 5-5-5-15 and 2.1v following discussions with the Corsair and ASUS help desks. BIOS is 0501.

ASUS support eventually came back to me again last night and told me that this memory is NOT compatible with the P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe board... So what gives...? I bought the memory specifically because the Corsair memory configurator told me that it was the best option for overclocking...

CPU is the Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800.

Any suggestions on how to get it stable in dual channel mode?

• Corsair Employee
Please set the memory frequency at 667 and then set the memory Voltage to 2.2 Volts and set the timings manually and then over clock the CPU slowly and I think the MB will top out about 1030 Mhz on the memory!

Please set the memory frequency at 667 and then set the memory Voltage to 2.2 Volts and set the timings manually and then over clock the CPU slowley and I think the MB will top out about 1030 Mhz on the memory!

OK, I've mounted them up in dual channel mode, and the system is up with the speeds you gave (Trc is auto at the moment)... CPUZ shows the memory running at 333MHz, what next... is it the CPU miltiplier you mean ramp up, or the Mainboard FSB...?

CPUZa.JPG.dc37373673c1a2b48d554210dc107f5a.JPG

CPUZb.JPG.88fa364f48c49beba60e809cb7c48001.JPG

CPUZc.JPG.e84b0f31897467c1ba4ce6afe9979af1.JPG

He's talking about increasing the FSB. Technically, we don't provide specific OCing info here at Corsair. You are at a good starting point. My suggestion would be to use Google or other search engine and find other users online with similiar systems and see how they are getting their results. There are also some very good OCing guides posted. OCing can be very tedious and time consuming and is usually a LOT of trial and error.

Good luck, Mike.

He's talking about increasing the FSB. Technically, we don't provide specific OCing info here at Corsair. You are at a good starting point. My suggestion would be to use Google or other search engine and find other users online with similiar systems and see how they are getting their results. There are also some very good OCing guides posted. OCing can be very tedious and time consuming and is usually a LOT of trial and error.

Good luck, Mike.

OK, so I went into the BIOS to look at that, but the FSB is already running at 1066MHz...

I decided to try and push the RAM clock again to 1066MHz as setting it to 667 ended up producing a clock of 333 according to CPUZ. After saving, I got a refusal to post, so I reset it, went back in when prompted that the overclocking had failed, but this time, it had kept the settings...

I exited the BIOS with the FSB set to 1066MHz and the RAM set to 1066MHz, and Windows came up.

CPUZ however, reports that the memory clock is only 400MHz... (Making DDR800)

However, on the up side, it's up at least, so I'm going to do some testing.....

You can search for this MB in our Corsair Labs Performance Reports and see what settings we use and how high we got a specific MB and or module.

Thanks, but I've tried that, the combination isn't listed.

So far though following the testing... the system is pretty solid. No issues so far...:D:

The only thing that I've done differently to when I've tried this before is that the FSB and Memory clock speeds are both set manually to 1066MHz this time, where as before I just set the FSB speed to 1066MHz and set the 'Linked' perameter for the memory speed, which matched the memory clock to that of the FSB automatically.

• Corsair Employee

FYI!

DDR2 Memory runs at:

DDR2-533 = 266 Clock Frequency 2 X 266 = DDR2 533

DDR2-667 = 333 Clock Frequency 2 X 333 = DDR2 667

DDR2-800 = 400 Clock Frequency 2 X 400 = DDR2 800

DDR2-1066 = 533Clock Frequency 2 X 533 = DDR2 1066

Intel CPU:

533 MHz = 133 MHz Clock Freq. 133 X 4

800 MHz = 200 MHz Clock Freq. 200 X 4

1066 MHz = 266 MHz Clock Freq. 266 x 4

Archived