Corsair Community

HX1000 output voltage regulation problem

SUP3RN4UT

First off this power supply is from my testbench not the system in my sig. This system consists of:

HX1000 | Asus P6T Deluxe-V2 | Intel Core i7 970 | Corsair H110 | Corsair Dominator 6GB Kit | Asus GTX 760 DC2OC | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

The system recently became unstable and randomly powering down and re-starting. I found that the +12V rail from the HX1000 was getting as high as 13.992V in BIOS and showing 13.494V in CPUID HWMonitor. At the same time in BIOS the +5V rail is reporting 5.983V and the +3.3 is under-volting at 2.960V.

I have switched the power supply to a different 750W and the voltages and system are completely stable now for a week.

I connected a 120mm fan to the HX1000 and jumpered it to run and I am reading a steady 12.13 volts with my Fluke multi-meter. The 5v output I measured was in spec too.

I also tried the HX1000 on an old EVGA 680i LT SLI with a Core2 Q6600 and the voltages look fine in BIOS.

Can anyone tell me if my HX1000 is pooched or if there are other steps I can take to trouble shoot. I don't trust it on my current testbed at this point. I have ran this powersupply on this testbench for quite some time with no issues until now.

• Corsair Employee

Well... readings at the BIOS and software like HWMonitor are taken at the motherboard, not the PSU. So I tend to take them with a grain of salt.

That said, your are having better stability with the other PSU.

Try the HX1000 again and make sure all of your connections are very secure (no potentially loose pins). If you are able to reproduce the instability, then all you can do is RMA the PSU.

Thanks for the reply jonnyguru. I tried that very thing an failed to mention in the post. It is repeatable. Unfortunately I purchased this power-supply in '08 and actually RMA'd that one (fan failed) for this one in '12. If I understand Corsair's warranty policy correctly I am s.o.l.

Archived