Corsair Community

280x rgb lighting and fan controlers

Quangouk

I purchased a 280x rgb which has a lighting node pro and fan box pre-installed

am I right in thinking that a commander pro replaces both of these?

or just the lighting pro ?

It will replace just the Lighting Node Pro, you'll still use the Fan RGB Hub with the Commander Pro. Note, if its just lighting you are wanting to control, the Lightning Node Pro will do the job. Only need the Commander Pro if you are wanting to control all the fans and have the temp monitors.

Tony

Edited by tjgodin

Thanks, originally bought it to control fans in another cad#se but ended up buying a new case as well whilst looking at the copro

I think tyring to control fan speeds in such a small case might be overkill

so will return it I think

Thanks, originally bought it to control fans in another cad#se but ended up buying a new case as well whilst looking at the copro

I think tyring to control fan speeds in such a small case might be overkill

so will return it I think

Maybe. But consider this ...

The CoPro has thermistors to measure case temperatures which can then be used to control the fan speeds. On a small case, heat can build up very, very quickly - we've seen no end of folks not managing their heat properly. The CoPro gives great insight into those issue. And, of course, if cool and quiet is your thing, the CoPro is better suited to maintaining that, especially if your system is liquid cooled.

hmm right so now I'm lost

can anyone tell the correct cable connections with a 280x with 2 RGB fans, a H100i rgb platinum pro connected to a commander pro and the RGB hub ??

I did look at Zootys diagrams but there isn't one with a H100i connected

Diagram

so connect them into each other

how does the copro monitor it

You monitor your AIO in the iCUE software. Once installed, iCUE will show your AIO and the Commander Pro. And to clarify, the Commander Pro isn't what monitors the AIO, it is the software.

can someone break it down for me cable connection wise with the following items please?

280x rgb with 2 fans that came with it.

H100i rgb

copro

RGB hub

Ok, let's start...

1) Commander Pro, connect the SATA power cable from the Commander Pro to a SATA cable connection from your power supply. Connect the Commander Pro USB cable to the USB connection on your motherboard.

2) RGB Hub, connect the SATA power cable from the RGB Hub to a SATA cable connection from your power supply. Likely will be the same power supply cable that the Commander Pro is connected to. Most power supplies have a SATA cable with 4 connections. Connect the RGB Hub LED cable to LED Port 1 on the Commander Pro and I'll explain a little later below how to configure it.

3) Connect the two fans that came with the 280x as follows, plug each Fan power connector into a Fan port on the Commander Pro. That should be Fan Port 1 and 2, as they need to be plugged in order on the Commander Pro. Don't plug them into Fan port 3, 4, 5 or 6 - since you'll only be connecting the two fans that came with the case to the Commander Pro. Next plug each case Fans RGB cable into the RGB Hub Ports 1 and 2.

4) Now, onto your H100i. Connect the SATA power cable from your AIO to a SATA cable connection from your power supply. Again, likely the same SATA cable that the Commander Pro and RGB Hub were plugged into. The two fans that came with the H100i will be plugged into the separate Fan power wires coming from your AIO pump head and their RGB cables will also connect to the RGB wires coming from your AIO pump. Plug the AIO pump 3-Pin Fan connector to the CPU Fan header on your motherboard. Next plug the USB cable that connects to the AIO pump head on one end into the USB port on your Commander Pro. Be sure to get the pins right when plugging into the Commander Pro USB port. Pretty common for people to misalign it.

5) Install the iCUE software. It should detect both the H100i as a device, showing the two AIO fans and also the Commander Pro showing the two case fans. Your two case fans may not be lit up, so select the Commander Pro in iCUE and then under Lighting Setup, select the drop-down menu for Lighting Channel 1 (as this is LED Port 1 that your RGB Hub was plugged into in step 3 above) and select LL RGB Series Fans and in the drop-down beside that select 2 Fans are connected. The two case fans should now be lit up. Now select the H100i in iCUE and under Lighting Setup select ML RGB Series Fans from the Fan Type drop down.

At this point, you should be basically up and running.

Hope this helps,

Tony

thanks that helped a lot.

I was confusing myself, For some reason, I got it into my head that the AIO had been connected to the copro

btw I have a RM850i psu, can you tell me where the little Ilink cable goes, if its USB header I dont think i have a spare on the mobo header

thanks that helped a lot.

I was confusing myself, For some reason, I got it into my head that the AIO had been connected to the copro

btw I have a RM850i psu, can you tell me where the little Ilink cable goes, if its USB header I dont think i have a spare on the mobo header

The Commander Pro has two USB ports, so you can use one for the AIO and the second one for RM850i. Re: AIO connected to AIO, yes you could connect the fans and rgb cables to the Commander Pro, but honestly in my experience its been better to just to connect directly with the AIO. Both the AIO and Commander Pro are managed through iCUE, so really not an issue.

BTW if for some reason you need more internal USB ports, you can always pick up the NZXT Internal Hub which gives you a bunch of extra USB ports for internal and external devices. Runs around $25 on Amazon.

• 7 months later...

Maybe I am missing something...am I able to control the RPM of the front fans on the 280x with a CoPro?? I basically have the same set up (Corsair 280x case and CoPro)with the RGB hub and Lighting Node Pro pre-installed. I've followed the step by step instructions and cant get the CoPro to get recognized in iCUE.

-CoPro connected to USB header and connected to SATA power

-both front fans are connected to CoPro by power cable

-both front fans connected to RGB hub via their RGB cables

-RGB Hub connected to Lighting Node Pro via LED cable

-Lighting Node Pro connected to CoPro via USB

Here's where I get lost...Only my Lighting Node is detected in iCUE. The CoPro is working because I have the Lighting Node and my H100i Pro cooler connected to it vis USB and I'm able to control the RPM of the two cooler fans in iCUE.

it seems the step by step instructions don't take into consideration the Lighting Node Pro?