Corsair Community

Noisy GPU fan (corsair one i160)

Widde

Hi Corsair.

Got an issue with my GPU VRM/Memory fan.

Is got a slight Frrrrrrrrrr sound to it like its hitting a cable (it does not i checked).

Yesterday is was really loud and it was then i noticed it. I opened up the GPU side of the chassi and check that everything was ok and no issue with cables hitting the fan or that the fan was hitting the frame or heat sink.

Closed the case up and tested again and when I listen on the GPU side under load it's that slight frrrrrrrrr sound but not nearly as loud as before could have been there before but it's not like you are putting your head to the side of the chassi when gaming.

Bad bearing or is this normal for these slim fan to make a small frrrrrrrr/ticking sound?

The fan tops out at 2300 rpm.

Worse when computer is cold and the main fan spins up before the vrm/memory fan but better when the fan get to spin up first. Could the airflow from the main fan interup the smaller fan and cause imbalance?

In case the fan is going bad do i have to send in the whole unit or could a replacement fan be sent? Live in Sweden.

Thank you for your time.

• Corsair Employee
This sounds like it could be coil whine from your GPU. If it's doing it even while not under load, the fan may be slightly off balance, which shouldn't impact performance, but if it does bother you, you should reach out to our customer service team for a solution (though I'm not sure if they can just send a replacement fan).

This sounds like it could be coil whine from your GPU. If it's doing it even while not under load, the fan may be slightly off balance, which shouldn't impact performance, but if it does bother you, you should reach out to our customer service team for a solution (though I'm not sure if they can just send a replacement fan).

Did that and they offering me a repair (2 weeks turnover) or advanced replacement. Will ask them if they could sen me a fan but i doubt it :)

The issue sound comes as the fan ramps up (i'm monitoring it in icue) and when the fan spins down it stops.

This is the sound that i'm experiencing now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4whr1shoqg9rpf/R%C3%B6st%20009_sd.m4a?dl=0

Was a lot louder before but settled at this.

I also believe than fan can be a bit off balanced.

I'm very happy with the system other than this slight issue.

It's a true masterpiece of engineering.