Corsair Community

Having issues with CUE in conjunction with my new keyboard

Zenith72

So I just got my new keyboard (lucky me :D), but unfortunately I'm having some difficulties with it... :(

My mouse (M65 RGB) still works with CUE with no worries, and my keyboard seemed to be working fine... until I logged off, then logged back into the computer again, only to find that the keyboard, whilst still functioning, did not show up in the CUE and none of the lights I had previously set up were displaying.

I have tried the following:

1) restarting the computer

2) updating the firmware (1.15 for the keyboard, running CUE 1.3.70)

3) reinstalling CUE and the firmware

4) multiple combinations of the above...

None of these worked. Missing from this list, which I also tried, was unplugging the keyboard and then back in again. Sometimes this seemed to fix it, but sometimes (unfortunately) the lights (with a reactive ripple to them) would just freeze up and stay there instead of cycling through the profile I'd set up.

All in all, for whatever reason, the mouse is working fine but the keyboard is being difficult for me (or I'm just stupid). It still works for typing (hence this message), but, as I said, it doesn't appear in the software and so I can't set up the lights. And if it does work, if I log out and then log back into my account (W7) I am back where I started with no lights and no recognition (plus the "malfunction" status, which is resolved by unplugging + replugging it into the computer...)

I would really appreciate all the help you guys can provide me as this is my first mechanical keyboard and this little hurdle has really ruined the experience for me :(

- Thanks

Jeremy

Edit1: The mouse just did a similar thing, in that the lights (on a gradient cycle-through colours) froze, software saying it was malfunctioning. Again, quitting the software, unplugging and replugging back in fixed it. I've had the mouse for about a month now and this hasn't happened before, so I'm guessing it is a firmware/software issue... not sure...

Edit2: On "replugging" the keyboard back into the computer (with either both or just the keyboard USB), after a few seconds the lights flash for a split second and then go back to blank.

Edit3: Now it seems to be working when I unplug and then replug-in the keyboard. Only sometimes, during the ripple effect, the lights will freeze up on whatever light they're on and the CUE will display the keyboard has a "Device Malfunction"

I was just looking at the downloads for CUE, it has two different versions, one for Gaming RGB boards and one for the Vengeance version. Did you download the appropriate version?

I downloaded the first one on the list of downloads from this site: http://www.corsair.com/en-au/support/downloads

It was titled Corsair Gaming K65 RGB, K70 RGB, K95 RGB, and mine is the Corsair Gaming K70 RGB, so I would assume it is the correct one.

Thanks for the quick reply

Yes, but it should be listed in Human Interface Device section.

Ok, this is what you're after then :)

http://i.imgur.com/eUrPy2r.png

If you're wondering about my computer, it is an iMac running Windows 7 (through Bootcamp), hence the Apple IR Receiver

- Thanks

I had problems with steam and cue if cue was already running before I started Steam. I saw the problems in steam, but well, what the heck, let's see what it does for you.

Just for testing, deactivate the auto start of CUE (CUE -> Settings -> uncheck "Start on system startup"), then restart, make sure Steam is open and ready to go and then start the corsair cue software.

No promises, but we should rule that out.

so again: Steam first, and then CUE ;)

I had problems with steam and cue if cue was already running before I started Steam. I saw the problems in steam, but well, what the heck, let's see what it does for you.

Just for testing, deactivate the auto start of CUE (CUE -> Settings -> uncheck "Start on system startup"), then restart, make sure Steam is open and ready to go and then start the corsair cue software.

No promises, but we should rule that out.

so again: Steam first, and then CUE ;)

Ok, I just tried it a few times (for good measure) and for the most part it does seem to fix the issue. I thought that the latest CUE had addressed this SteamxCUE issue though? Ah well. Thanks for the temporary fix man :)

While I'm at it, may I ask what the USB Passthrough cable is about? I don't have it in, only using the keyboard USB cable thing (Also I'm using 2.0 not 3.0), and everything seems to work without it.

It's for power. USB 2.0 has normally not enough power so it needs a second port to get it's 1A, or at least more than the 500mA. USB 3.0 delivers enough power so you only need the one plug. Depending on chipsets and settings, USB 2.0 ports can deliver more power. If it works for you it works. If you're encountering more problems, maybe try to give it more power ;)

So no pass-through, only for power.

Glad that you have a temporary fix. I think they will fix it at some point. Hopefully sooner than later :)

EDIT: If you really wanna know :D -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power

It's for power. USB 2.0 has normally not enough power so it needs a second port to get it's 1A, or at least more than the 500mA. USB 3.0 delivers enough power so you only need the one plug. Depending on chipsets and settings, USB 2.0 ports can deliver more power. If it works for you it works. If you're encountering more problems, maybe try to give it more power ;)

So no pass-through, only for power.

Glad that you have a temporary fix. I think they will fix it at some point. Hopefully sooner than later :)

EDIT: If you really wanna know :D -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power

Ok, so because I'm using 2.0, should I be using the passthrough or not worry about it as it is working without it? :)

I'm torn between

1.) Apples USB 2.0 are supporting 1A roughly since iPads launched in order to charge them when connected to the mac. But I really don't know if that super charge mode is available in the bootcamp windows. I don't even know if it maybe only activates the 1A boost when an iPad or newer iPhone is connected.

2.) If it works and you don't have flickering and or freezes, it apparently has enough power. You have a little processor in your awesome K70 RGB : D if it has to work a lot and has to use every single led (when displaying white for example) it needs more power. My guess would be, that it would turn off and on in that case, but I really don't know. If that's the case, use two ports.

BTW, I know USB ports are rare on macs, but if your not sure and you don't have enough ports, get a simple powered usb hub and plug the second power usb cable in there. Then you're on the save side.

I'm torn between

1.) Apples USB 2.0 are supporting 1A roughly since iPads launched in order to charge them when connected to the mac. But I really don't know if that super charge mode is available in the bootcamp windows. I don't even know if it maybe only activates the 1A boost when an iPad or newer iPhone is connected.

2.) If it works and you don't have flickering and or freezes, it apparently has enough power. You have a little processor in your awesome K70 RGB : D if it has to work a lot and has to use every single led (when displaying white for example) it needs more power. My guess would be, that it would turn off and on in that case, but I really don't know. If that's the case, use two ports.

BTW, I know USB ports are rare on macs, but if your not sure and you don't have enough ports, get a simple powered usb hub and plug the second power usb cable in there. Then you're on the save side.

Ahhh ok, thanks for the info. Well, now that you say that, the RGB lights did freeze and they stayed frozen after your little fix, so maybe I should plug it in. But really, I can probably do just fine with my current alternative: just use solid a solid-colour layout and save it to the on-board memory so I don't have to use the software. And I have about 4 USB ports: 1 for my headset, 1 for the mouse, 1 for the keyboard and 1 for my PS3 controller :) No problemo.

Thanks so much for all the info and help guys. I really appreciate the time and effort you have put into making sure my Christmas present functioned so I can have great fun with it :D

- Jeremy

Archived